General WHOA. I just created a new life form...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
This is fuking cool. In my backyard there were some wild blackberry vines growing. VERY small blackberries, but very sweet and tasty. The first picture below is one of these. You can see the relatively small, but common thorns on the plant.

Then some time ago, I bought some blackberries to put in my backyard. These were one of those varieties designed by University of Arkansas, who apparently is a leader in cutting edge blackberry research. These have NO thorns, they are thornless. The second picture below shows this. The berries are much bigger, about as sweet, but don't have as much of that "blackberry" taste, if that makes sense.

SO. I put multiple of both different kind of plants next to each other, in the hopes they'd make hybrid babies.

AND THEY DID! Look at the third picture below. This baby has thorns, but they are fewer, but bigger, that the one on the wild blackberry vines. AND YOU CAN SEE IT HAS SOME GREEN BERRIES! I can't wait until they get ripe so I can try them. I bet they are going to be awesome, nice big sweet berries with a strong blackberry taste that you remember from picking berries as a kid.

Homeslice came to chew bubblegum or create new life forms... and was flat out of bubblegum....

BB1.jpg

BB2.jpg

BB3.jpg

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
Prime-ark

??? Naw, those are not the ones I ordered in the second picture (the thornless ones). They had an Indian name. Apache, Navaho, etc. Can't remember which one. Anyone know just by looking at that pic? I would love to know.

However, I DID just order a bunch more blackberry vines, including Prime-arks! I going to go big into blackberries and developing new cultivars, going to take University of Arkansas informal title as leader in cutting edge blackberry research and development away from them over the new few years...

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I will ship somebody some Chester Blackberry starts, they grow fast and are prolific and. large tasty berries...also thornless.1714063409824.png
1714063452581.png
1714063479166.png

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
Man, Rambo, I might just take you up on that! Those look awesome, they could become a valuable part of my new breeding program...

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Man, Rambo, I might just take you up on that! Those look awesome, they could become a valuable part of my new breeding program...
I'm thinking I/we could bare root a few and put them in a plastic bag with some wet sawdust on the roots and send them in a priority flat rate box for under $20.

I let em climb on a sheep panel in the picture below
Went from a one gallon pot to that entire fence in a single year
and now we have like 20 starts to get rid of
This year's growth bears berries the second year, and I cut the growth that produced berries away and train the wandering growth on the sheep panel...rinse repeat

IMG_0395.JPG

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
I'm thinking I/we could bare root a few and put them in a plastic bag with some wet sawdust on the roots and send them in a priority flat rate box for under $20.

I let em climb on a sheep panel in the picture below
Went from a one gallon pot to that entire fence in a single year
and now we have like 20 starts to get rid of
This year's growth bears berries the second year, and I cut the growth that produced berries away and train the wandering growth on the sheep panel...rinse repeat

View attachment 99471

I like it. Keep on keeping our mind on our money and our money on our mind.... word.

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
So, I was wrong. I just found some notes I wrote down. The thornless ones were Triple Crown. For sure. BUT, I have in my notes that I also ordered some Kiowa blackberries awhile back (the Indian named ones I remember). They have thorns. So, I'm going to have to compare the thorns on the Kiowa's I ordered a few days ago (I ordered several different types) when they come, to the way the thorns look on the lifeform I think I created. If they match the Kiowas', then I will not have created a lifeform, it will almost certainly just be a Kiowa. I will be supremely bummed. :(

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
What is weird, is that I am seeing how getting berries off Triple Crown can be hard in Houston, a lot of people complaining how hard it is as Houston does not get enough chill hours for them to fruit (see my recent thread on walk-in refrigerator to rectify this and make money in the process). And I live in Pearland, which is actually SOUTH of Houston, so even less chill hours. But these puppies pump them out by the hundreds and hundreds. Fuk I'm so confused right now....

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
What is weird, is that I am seeing how getting berries off Triple Crown can be hard in Houston, a lot of people complaining how hard it is as Houston does not get enough chill hours for them to fruit (see my recent thread on walk-in refrigerator to rectify this and make money in the process). And I live in Pearland, which is actually SOUTH of Houston, so even less chill hours. But these puppies pump them out by the hundreds and hundreds. Fuk I'm so confused right now....
Lotta variables in growing berries/fruit/produce

I know a good bit about most of the variables

What you working with exactly?