General WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange ‘suffers stroke in jail’ after court rules he can be extradited to America

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Such bullshit

The US charging a foreign journalist with espionage lol what global dictators they are

On 11 April 2019, the day of Assange's arrest in London, the indictment against him was unsealed.[38] He was charged with conspiracy to commit computer intrusion (i.e. hacking into a government computer), a relatively minor crime that carries a maximum 5-year sentence .[39][40] The charges stem from the allegation that Assange attempted and failed to crack a password hash so that Chelsea Manning could use a different username to download classified documents and avoid detection.[41] This allegation had been known since 2011 and was a factor in Manning's trial; the indictment did not reveal any new information about Assange.[41][42]
The above seems to point out that he's hardly a journalist. And if we are going to still call him that, then we have to admit this is a journalist disobeying journalism ethics and committing a crime.
I mean, what journalist is aiding someone in hacking and not just passively receiving documents?
That seems wrong.

The Obama administration had debated charging Assange under the Espionage Act but decided against it out of fear that it would have a negative effect on investigative journalism and could be unconstitutional. The new charges relate to obtaining and publishing the secret documents. Most of these charges relate to obtaining the secret documents. The three charges related to publication concern documents which revealed the names of sources in dangerous places putting them "at a grave and imminent risk" of harm or detention. The New York Times commented that it and other news organisations obtained the same documents as WikiLeaks, also without government authorisation. It also said it is not clear how WikiLeaks' publications are legally different from other publications of classified information.[45][46]

Most cases brought under the Espionage Act have been against government employees who accessed sensitive information and leaked it to journalists and others.[47] Prosecuting people for acts related to receiving and publishing information has not previously been tested in court.[45] In 1975, the Justice Department decided after consideration not to charge journalist Seymour Hersh for reporting on US surveillance of the Soviet Union.[47] Two lobbyists for a pro-Israel group were charged in 2005 with receiving and sharing classified information about American policy toward Iran. The charges however did not relate to the publication of the documents and the case was dropped by the Justice Department in 2009 prior to judgement.[45][47]

Assistant Attorney General John Demers said "Julian Assange is no journalist".[48] The US allegation that Assange's publication of these secrets was illegal was deemed controversial by Australia's Seven News as well as CNN.[46][49] The Cato Institute also questioned the US government's position which attempts to position Assange as not a journalist.[50] The Associated Press said Assange's indictment presented media freedom issues, as Assange's solicitation and publication of classified information is something journalists routinely do.[51]

Stephen Vladeck, a professor at the University of Texas School of Law, stated that what Assange is accused of doing is factually different from, but legally similar to what professional journalists do.[52] Vladeck also said the Espionage Act charges could provide Assange with an argument against extradition under the US-UK treaty, as there is an exemption in the treaty for political offences.[46] Forbes magazine stated that the US government created an outcry among journalists in its indictment of Assange as the US sought to debate whether Assange was a journalist or not.[53] Suzanne Nossel of PEN America said it was immaterial whether Assange was a journalist or publisher and pointed instead to First Amendment concerns.[54]
I can't find anywhere in the espionage portion that really sticks. He received info and published it. That shouldn't qualify to never ending expand espionage unless he was an active facilitator as the above hacking portion. I'm not sure if that's how they link it.
Just publishing things you want secret shouldn't be actionable. Targeting someone that participated in the intrusion to get the secrets seems fair game.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
In your opinion is the world including the US a better place due to WikiLeaks?
Wikileaks fails a neutral arbiter of information against the powerful. It long ago jumped the shark due to Assange himself.
Assange is compromised if only due to his need of Russia and long hatred of Hillary et al.

Perhaps assisting Snowden is the big weight so yes more good than bad, but there's plenty of bad.

By better I mean safer and more transparent the latter allowing people especially those in the US to make decisions based on more detail regarding the past and present leadership/s
I wholly support an organization that looks to bring light to powerful abuses even from the USA leadership.
Wikileaks is fairy irresponsible in not curating personal info like social security numbers, names of innocent people, etc while also editing videos for "maximal impact" (see collateral murder video).

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Wikileaks fails a neutral arbiter of information against the powerful. It long ago jumped the shark due to Assange himself.
Assange is compromised if only due to his need of Russia and long hatred of Hillary et al.

Perhaps assisting Snowden is the big weight so yes more good than bad, but there's plenty of bad.

I wholly support an organization that looks to bring light to powerful abuses even from the USA leadership.
Wikileaks is fairy irresponsible in not curating personal info like social security numbers, names of innocent people, etc while also editing videos for "maximal impact" (see collateral murder video).
You calling him a cunt?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Are you referring to this?

Correct. Why wasn't it good enough to release the whole video?
Assange himself stated it was edited to get more views.

The important part that was edited was the Ak47 and the RPG being carried by the individuals that were with the reporters.

US shouldn't have covered up details but neither should assange if he wants to act like some source of truth.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
a journalist disobeying journalism ethics
So when do we start jailing Brian Stelter , don lemon, Racheal Maddow etc? I'm pretty sure journalism ethics are not a thing any more.i am sure others would say the same about Hannity and Tucker

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
So the whistle blower of war crimes is the bad guy?

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
and charged by war criminals and about to be tried by war criminals. The American government both R & D are war criminals in the strictest sense. Not the people but the government and many of their soldiers, many of Australia's soldiers are war criminals too but our gov is just a puppet of yours.
The US has spent years and countless dollars getting poor people to fight poorer people to make rich people richer.

KABOOM

Oct 17, 2021
Guy is a real life James bond Imo. Was smashing his Ecuadorian lawyer too, money penny-style.
Should be executed by laser if found guilt.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
So when do we start jailing Brian Stelter , don lemon, Racheal Maddow etc? I'm pretty sure journalism ethics are not a thing any more.i am sure others would say the same about Hannity and Tucker
Any of them participate in assisting computer systems intrusions or other felonies to get their information?

Toelocku

*I Know What I Know if you Know What I Mean*
Dec 15, 2018
The above seems to point out that he's hardly a journalist. And if we are going to still call him that, then we have to admit this is a journalist disobeying journalism ethics and committing a crime.
I mean, what journalist is aiding someone in hacking and not just passively receiving documents?
That seems wrong.

I can't find anywhere in the espionage portion that really sticks. He received info and published it. That shouldn't qualify to never ending expand espionage unless he was an active facilitator as the above hacking portion. I'm not sure if that's how they link it.
Just publishing things you want secret shouldn't be actionable. Targeting someone that participated in the intrusion to get the secrets seems fair game.
Have u seen Greenawalds take on this?

It starts at 5min in

View: https://youtu.be/RgOJR_S7TqQ

It's not journalistic ethic to help a source get more information on crimes?

That not my definition of an ethics violation bro

Toelocku

Dec 15, 2018

I believe Russia did help Assange but IM GLAD THEY DID

Why can't wikileaks be enabled by Russia?

So as a journalist if a Russian gives u a story it's defacto not legit?

What is your definition of journalist?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I believe Russia did help Assange but IM GLAD THEY DID

Why can't wikileaks be enabled by Russia?

So as a journalist if a Russian gives u a story it's defacto not legit?

What is your definition of journalist?

You might start with not putting words in my mouth if you want my thoughts.
Wikileak says it wasn't journalism. It was a leaks site. It was painted as one only goal which was to expose corruption amongst powerful.

Assange moved from truth to power to truth to those he doesn't like and aren't being helped by.

If you are just airing the dirty laundry of one side of a cold war what cozying up to a corrupt power You don't get to talk about the high ground of speaking truth to corrupt power.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
It's not journalistic ethic to help a source get more information on crimes?

That not my definition of an ethics violation bro

Can you tell me somewhere else in which a journalist helped a source break into a computer system? just show me the precedent and I'm good with it.

Toelocku

Dec 15, 2018
Exactly the term "ethics in journalism" is laughable

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Have u seen Greenawalds take on this?

It starts at 5min in
Did you just make me watch that terrible YouTube station? Just for the point that somebody can be a journalist will still being one-sided?
Is there more to watch?

Yes I'm aware of that point. Nobody is saying otherwise. The post that you guys are responding to is regarding whether WikiLeaks is a greater good than bad. And from the outgo WikiLeaks presents its data as true and a mission of fighting corruption . Instead, mostly because of assange they organization has become an advocacy organization. Timing releases to hurt certain individuals and editing information to paint different pictures.

You guys can bring up all the whataboutism that you want, but that isn't the reason that he's being charged and that wasn't the statement anyways. The statement was that wikileaks has failed as a neutral arbiter and that is almost fully because of assange looking out for himself and willing to protect corrupt individuals out of self-interest.

Rationalize it all you want, but that's exactly the opposite of what WikiLeak says it was

Toelocku

Dec 15, 2018
You might start with not putting words in my mouth if you want my thoughts.
Wikileak says it wasn't journalism. It was a leaks site. It was painted as one only goal which was to expose corruption amongst powerful.

Assange moved from truth to power to truth to those he doesn't like and aren't being helped by.

If you are just airing the dirty laundry of one side of a cold war what cozying up to a corrupt power You don't get to talk about the high ground of speaking truth to corrupt power.
A "leak" site cant be doing journalism?

Do know how many journalism awards Jullian has won?

Define what a jourlist is...

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
A "leak" site cant be doing journalism?

Do know how many journalism awards Jullian has won?

Define what a jourlist is...
No.

I'm not here to be put on the spot or have my words twisted.

WikiLeaks can be a journalist or not. I don't really care. Because again that doesn't change any of my statements and I'm not changing the conversation.

Wikileaks mission was a neutral arbiter of truth to corrupt power. If you're fine with WikiLeaks being an advocacy organization will also complaining about CNN being an advocacy organization. I don't know what to tell you.

Wiki leaks as long ago left its original mission statements and being an advocacy organization is not what The charges are about. You're conflating multiple topics trying to put me in some gotcha spot about definitions.

Once again, go ahead and show me where it's normal for a journalist to help a source hack into a computer and you win. That's it. Instead of straw men and tangents, just show me another journalist doing what assange did an assisting a source to illegally get into a computer system. Or even something similar. Maybe helping a source break into a lockbox or something else.

Go ahead. He's a journalist. And you want to talk about a conversational ethics. So just show me other journalists doing the same thing so we can put this to rest.

Toelocku

Dec 15, 2018
Can you tell me somewhere else in which a journalist helped a source break into a computer system? just show me the precedent and I'm good with it.
They have no jurisdiction imo hes not even a US citizen

I

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
They have no jurisdiction imo hes not even a US citizen

I

Well I don't know much about that since I'm not a lawyer. But extradition rules agreements exist for that very reason.

You can be at US citizen in the United States and assist. Penetrating a computer system in the UK and you will likely be charged and extradited to the UK.

But ignoring the legal right to do so, you guys are really tiptoeing around the topic on whether it's appropriate for a journalist to help a source break into a computer system illegally. And since there seems to be a pass here for it, if that is your position, just show me some other journalists doing similar things so I can learn more about journalism.

Toelocku

Dec 15, 2018
Did you just make me watch that terrible YouTube station? Just for the point that somebody can be a journalist will still being one-sided?
Is there more to watch?

Yes I'm aware of that point. Nobody is saying otherwise. The post that you guys are responding to is regarding whether WikiLeaks is a greater good than bad. And from the outgo WikiLeaks presents its data as true and a mission of fighting corruption . Instead, mostly because of assange they organization has become an advocacy organization. Timing releases to hurt certain individuals and editing information to paint different pictures.

You guys can bring up all the whataboutism that you want, but that isn't the reason that he's being charged and that wasn't the statement anyways. The statement was that wikileaks has failed as a neutral arbiter and that is almost fully because of assange looking out for himself and willing to protect corrupt individuals out of self-interest.

Rationalize it all you want, but that's exactly the opposite of what WikiLeak says it was
Jimmy Dore is a neoliberal destroyer...you should watch more

"Neutral arbiter" is not a thing bro everyone has an agenda

You want to criminalize journalism