Woodley brings racism into MMA, again

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TedCzech

Ted Czech
Jan 11, 2016

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUacLPnx3is

About 7:39, he starts talking about Wonderboy's fans:
“His fans just make me feel like they in a dang ‘ole, in the country, in a rally somewhere…you know, burning…burning ‘you who whats.’ I just don’t like the sheer racism that comes with just a conversation about fighting him.”

Now, I don't keep close tabs on his Twitter/Facebook and he may have received comments that he perceived to be racist, but he seems to be painting things with a pretty broad brush here.

SCADA

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
Tyron will do anything not to rematch Wonderboy...it's pretty obvious.

Wonderboy via Dec

TedCzech

Ted Czech
Jan 11, 2016
he still mad nate M pulled that gladiator combination on him

People have been arguing with me after the Meryl Streep mess that MMA is not art ... to me, it's a physical art. Yeah it ain't sculpture or painting but it's still real to me, dammit!! No seriously, look no further than Marquardt vs Gouveia and also Cerrone vs Story for "poetry in motion"

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Now, I don't keep close tabs on his Twitter/Facebook and he may have received comments that he perceived to be racist, but he seems to be painting things with a pretty broad brush here.
Why are you doubting it then?

SCADA

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
I sat with Wonderboy's entire family when he made his UFC debut....Awesome group of people...and I've been a Wonderboy fan ever since.

TedCzech

Ted Czech
Jan 11, 2016
Why are you doubting it then?
Because to him, it always goes back to racism -- it's racism that some fighters get title shots while others don't; racism that he gets criticized for his cardio; racism that fans say he's scared to re-match Wonderboy. Seems like he's saying all of Wonderboy's fans are white, live in the south and are in the KKK. So, like I said, he's really making a broad, sweeping statement. But at least he's fair and feeds into the stereotype about his hometown too -- when he and Conor had a confrontation at UFC 205, he said that Conor almost brought "that Ferguson back out" of him -- does he mean the rioting, looting Ferguson?

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I'd say it's almost certain that dorks on social media write racist shit to him on a daily basis. Having said that, Woodley shouldn't say stupid shit like that either. The UFC should hire a PR firm to give their champions media training.

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
People have been arguing with me after the Meryl Streep mess that MMA is not art ... to me, it's a physical art. Yeah it ain't sculpture or painting but it's still real to me, dammit!! No seriously, look no further than Marquardt vs Gouveia and also Cerrone vs Story for "poetry in motion"

SCADA

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
It makes me laugh when Bisping said he would do the same thing to Woodley.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
It makes me laugh when Bisping said he would do the same thing to Woodley.
If I've learned one thing about Bisbing is never count him out. Whether it's by bad decision (hamil among others) or KO (rockhold) more often then not he seems to find a way to win.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Because to him, it always goes back to racism -- it's racism that some fighters get title shots while others don't; racism that he gets criticized for his cardio; racism that fans say he's scared to re-match Wonderboy. Seems like he's saying all of Wonderboy's fans are white, live in the south and are in the KKK. So, like I said, he's really making a broad, sweeping statement. But at least he's fair and feeds into the stereotype about his hometown too -- when he and Conor had a confrontation at UFC 205, he said that Conor almost brought "that Ferguson back out" of him -- does he mean the rioting, looting Ferguson?
Can you give some examples of the specific quotes you're referring to?

Woodley grew up in Ferguson Missouri.

TedCzech

Ted Czech
Jan 11, 2016
Can you give some examples of the specific quotes you're referring to?

Woodley grew up in Ferguson Missouri.
Yep, I knew he was Ferguson.

Here are some quotes:
[When people say I have bad cardio], it’s because I’m a black dude. It is…a indirect racist statement…it’s indirectly racist.

"All they do all day is go against African-American athletes and try to racially slur them."

"I got something for you Donald Trump," Woodley said ... "Quit mentioning Ferguson. Because you ain't never been to Ferguson and that's where I'm from."
"He gotta keep Ferguson out his mouth so he can keep my fist out of his mouth."
"I take that personally because he hasn't been there."

“I think that – this is my personal opinion – but sometimes African American athletes are considered overly cocky,” he says. “I have some (things to say) that are blatantly true about African American athletes in our sport. And if I mention those thing then all of a sudden I’m whining, I’m playing the victim, I’m race baiting or it’s somebody else."

"His fans just make me feel like they in a dang ‘ole, in the country, in a rally somewhere…you know, burning…burning ‘you who whats.’ I just don’t like the sheer racism that comes with just a conversation about fighting him.”

"If I were to miss weight they would fire me; Gastelum misses weight and gets a TUF coaching job."

“I try not to take myself back to those dark areas, I try to stay sophisticated, stay professional but a few people can take you out of that element and bring that Ferguson back out of you and he almost did it. But I had to keep my eyes on the prize, defend my strap in a Fight of the Night performance at UFC 205. So if you want to get in there with a lion and get your head bit off and have me spewing your blood all over the Octagon while you've got that goofy tiger tattoo on your chest, looking like a clown with a clown on your chest, we can do it. We can do it in Ireland, Dublin, we can do it in the back of White Castle, I don't care. But just know, I ain't that guy. I don't like to try and act overly hood or overly ghetto, a million hood stripes, but where I'm from you don't call me a bitch, number one. Number two, you don't fake like you're about that life. If you want to scrap, if you want to make this money, let's do it. If you don't, shut your mouth. Just do your thing."

How does he think it benefits anyone to harp on about losers who say stupid shit?