General 14 students, 1 teacher dead following mass school shooting in Texas

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Your rudeness and foul language would be a ‘red flag’ here, not buying an AR 15 at age 18.
Aussies tend to swear. And I never said that your kid isn't perfectly normal and well-adjusted, in fact I stated flat out more than once that he most likely is. In the States it is very normal to want to invest most of your savings into buying yourself a home armoury as soon as you can. That's how bizarre the gun culture is, guns are so prominent and that mindset is so normalised.

You are willing to say that you think that someone dropping some f-bombs in casual conversation is more of a red flag for potential violence than a teenager dropping several hundred dollars (or more) on an AR-15 assault weapon as soon as he is able to buy one....... don't you see what a bizarre culture that is? Really?

??

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
That’s what I said.

Now sling the term ‘well adjusted kid’ around a few times.
To be clear, it's your house, so it's your rules. I have no issue with that, but I will take some umbrage with making arguments about "need".' I remember not that many years ago gun owners would say "It's a free country. "Need" has nothing to do with it. What happens when the government decides you don't "need" the thing that you like." Gun owners were roundly criticized for such a stupid "slippery slope" argument.

Then the pandemic happened and in an instant it was all laid bare as to how little we "need" and that living somewhere that basis access on need fucking sucks, and isn't at all the society we signed up for. In this thread, I'm seeing people with all sorts of guilt pleasures criticizing gun owners for not "needing" to own a gun. It's pretty rich.

For reference, I'm not referring to you in that last bit, but some of the other, ironically more fervent, posters.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Aussies tend to swear. And I never said that your kid isn't perfectly normal and well-adjusted, in fact I stated flat out more than once that he most likely is. In the States it is very normal to want to invest most of your savings into buying yourself a home armoury as soon as you can. That's how bizarre the gun culture is, guns are so prominent and that mindset is so normalised.

You are willing to say that you think that someone dropping some f-bombs in casual conversation is more of a red flag for potential violence than a teenager dropping several hundred dollars (or more) on an AR-15 assault weapon as soon as he is able to buy one....... don't you see what a bizarre culture that is? Really?

??
I don’t think many non Americans will ever see eye to eye with Americans on gun issues. Their current lived reality is so far removed from ours.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017

??
The gun culture isn't as big as it seems. The vocal minority is obsessed tho

Common sense gun laws are supported by the majority of Americans

Anecdotal, but I know thousands of people, and I can't name 10 with guns.

3 are hunters
3 are police
And 2 others

Granted I'm from the ny/nj where the diverse culture is more aligned with that of other advanced nations

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
I take that back. Apparently 30-40% of americans own guns

That's fuckin insane

With all due respect, most people are inathletic, unstable, and scared.

Very few should be allowed anywhere near a gun imo

Fuck America. This country blows

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
They still think they are living a John Wayne film.

Its so sad. That was over 70 years ago.

And even then it was bollocks.
Their ideal world is every year when the teacher, equipped with a six shooter at their hip, starts the class they warn the class about not bringing a gun to a school or they will shoot them dead.

When little Jimmy, 11, tries to say something back the teacher throws a bullet at him and tells him to be quiet or the next one is coming quicker.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Their ideal world is every year when the teacher, equipped with a six shooter at their hip, starts the class with a morning prayer they warn the class about not bringing a gun to a school or they will shoot them dead.
Fixed that for you

M

member 3289

Their ideal world is every year when the teacher, equipped with a six shooter at their hip, starts the class they warn the class about not bringing a gun to a school or they will shoot them dead.

When little Jimmy, 11, tries to say something back the teacher throws a bullet at him and tells him to be quiet or the next one is coming quicker.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
It's not like it's a $50 impulse buy, is it.

A mate of mine's kid is 16, he's got an after-school job and has been saving for a VR headset for months. Now has enough to buy it, but he's putting it off because he's realised that he's now got enough money to think about saving for a car.

His folks are proud of him.

If he'd been working away for months so that he can buy that awesome AR-15 that's so fucking badass - that would be cause for serious concern here. That he's a teenager, he's got months of savings for his job, and he doesn't want to buy a videogame system or a cheap car or a motorbike or a holiday with his friends........ his first priority is getting a fucking assault rifle, just like the one all the famous killers used.

That so many Americans look at that and think "well that's normal, he's a good well adjusted kid" - and the overwhelming likelihood is that he IS, he's not a danger to anybody, and he's somehow still been programmed by the gun culture that the #1 thing he wants for his 18th birthday is a fucking assault rifle. That will effectively be a $1200 paperweight that he will virtually never actually use for anything, but that is still his #1 priority for his first significant purchase, because having it sitting in his closet doing nothing will make him feel badass and powerful and cool. And that's normal for a well-adjusted kid. Absolutely bizarre.

??
An AR 15 is not an assault rifle

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Can buy them 500 all day.
Apparently the uvalde shooter used a really nice brand called Daniel defense. This is a high quality rifle. Depends on the model but could easily be 1500 to 2,000 normally. Would not shock me that he paid $500 more due to shortages. The brand is in high demand and regularly goes for more than MSRP.
DD sells bucket rifles too.

U know fuck all about guns.

Sell your guns and get some training.
You're dangerous.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
I still don't even know what happened.

How did the kid crash his car? Just a shitty driver or he was being chased by cops after shooting his grandma in the face?