Sports 2017 MLB thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Angels just signed Zack Cozart - he was a free agent. 3 years, $38M.

Zack had a great year in 2017. His glove was always outstanding at SS, but in 2017 he posted career-best totals in BA (.297), OBP (.385), SLG (.548)

He's a career .250 hitter that justified his existence because of his defensive abilities, but the Angels are betting hard that last season's offensive numbers aren't an aberration. Since they already have Andrelton Simmons at short, the word is they intend to stick Cozart at 3rd base.

You can justify your existence as a sub-par hitter if you play great defense at shortstop. But at 3rd? Not really. Cozart will need to continue his offensive output from 2017 to make this a good signing for LA.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Angels just signed Zack Cozart - he was a free agent. 3 years, $38M.

Zack had a great year in 2017. His glove was always outstanding at SS, but in 2017 he posted career-best totals in BA (.297), OBP (.385), SLG (.548)

He's a career .250 hitter that justified his existence because of his defensive abilities, but the Angels are betting hard that last season's offensive numbers aren't an aberration. Since they already have Andrelton Simmons at short, the word is they intend to stick Cozart at 3rd base.

You can justify your existence as a sub-par hitter if you play great defense at shortstop. But at 3rd? Not really. Cozart will need to continue his offensive output from 2017 to make this a good signing for LA.
It must be rough knowing Votto will have to retire soon and your team is trading getting rid of every player that even remotely has a shot at replacing him.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
It must be rough knowing Votto will have to retire soon and your team is trading getting rid of every player that even remotely has a shot at replacing him.
Cozart is in his 30s and he's never hit 25 HRs in a season.

I knew he was moving on. Not a surprise - or even a disappointment.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
Cozart is in his 30s and he's never hit 25 HRs in a season.

I knew he was moving on. Not a surprise - or even a disappointment.
your wife just tweeted that she wishes her husband would stop procrastinating on cleaning the gutters. I'm paraphrasing & I did edit out some profanity

Last edited:

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015
Twins get Fernando Rodney. 1yr 4.5 Million. I didn't follow him closely last year. I saw him a TON shooting arrows after getting final outs for the D-backs. He's 40 and had an ERA north of 4 last year. Typical of the Twins, lets grab the old dudes.

Ron Darling thinks Darvish should sign, and would be a great fit in Minnesota. I SMH thinking 'not in a million years'.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
Its being reported that the Royals offered Hosmer 7 years and 147 mil. So much for that small market bullshit they try to tell their fans.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
small markets can afford that, but they should've let him walk on that price
I agree. KC is very delusional about the players they have. Why would you keep someone for that price when he hasnt helped you win for the last few years. They didnt learn their lesson on Alex Gordon apparently.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
I agree. KC is very delusional about the players they have. Why would you keep someone for that price when he hasnt helped you win for the last few years. They didnt learn their lesson on Alex Gordon apparently.
when I was deep into the saber community I made some friends with some scouts, they couldn't shut up about how beautiful his swing was. the guy has no power at a position where you need the guy to be special at something. Hosmer is a good major leaguer, not a guy I'd lock in on a long term deal. the market was lukewarm on hi too, at best

if you ever start playing daily fantasy, he's a good guy for 50/50's. he'll rarely put up a bagel, but he's not some kind of superstar

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
when I was deep into the saber community I made some friends with some scouts, they couldn't shut up about how beautiful his swing was. the guy has no power at a position where you need the guy to be special at something. Hosmer is a good major leaguer, not a guy I'd lock in on a long term deal. the market was lukewarm on hi too, at best

if you ever start playing daily fantasy, he's a good guy for 50/50's. he'll rarely put up a bagel, but he's not some kind of superstar
Exactly how I feel about him. Gold gloves at 1st base are extremely overrated. Your 1st basemam should at least have the potential for 40 hrs and 120 rbis.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
what's the proper response when you attempt to troll a cards fan & the trollee rates you're post a winner? help me out here, Hauler @Hauler
Pujols has 2 gold gloves but at no point was that brought up when he signed his monster contract. Not sure how you are trolling but gold gloves at 1st are a joke. I think McGwire has a couple as well.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
what's the proper response when you attempt to troll a cards fan & the trollee rates you're post a winner? help me out here, Hauler @Hauler
It has to be a current player.
Try a few jabs at Yadier and see what happens.

Or you can talk about the Gold Gloves that Ozzie ripped from Larkin on reputation alone. It shouldn't, but offense usually matters for GG awards unless you have a cool name and can do backflips.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015

Or you can talk about the Gold Gloves that Ozzie ripped from Larkin on reputation alone. It shouldn't, but offense usually matters for GG awards unless you have a cool name and can do backflips.
Jealous much? Ozzie never won a GG because of offense and like Cincy, Larkin will always be the 2nd best in the NL over that time period.

Last edited:

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017

Ozzie is the most overrated HOF player there's ever been, the guy should've spent his career in triple A with his weak bat

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Jealous much? Ozzie never won a GG because of offense and like Cincy, Larkin will always be the 2nd best in the NL over that time period.
He's never won anything because of offense. Including games.

There are pitchers with better lifetime averages than him.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I looked it up - only 1 shortstop in the HOF has a lifetime batting average lower than Ozzie (.262), and that's a guy named Rabbit Maranville (.258) who also played for the Cardinals for 2 seasons - 1927 and 1928.

Although it does look like Ozzie has the lowest SLG for a shortstop in the HOF. (.328)