Sports 2017 MLB thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Cmon now. We all know there is a bias in the NL. How the fook did Posey ever win a Golf Glove if there isnt?
Just comparing stats, McCutchen ate Yadi's lunch that season.
Now that Cutch is moving to AT&T maybe Yadi will beat him in HR totals.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
There used to be a cool HR tracker that showed where HRs would land in each ballpark. I'd love to see how many fewer HRs McCutchen would have hit at AT&T. Can't find it. I thought it was ESPN but I guess not.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Dont let your hate get in the way of common sense.
McCutchen had more hits, HRs, RBI, Steals, Walks and a better OPS in 2013.

I noticed Yadi only played 136 games. Maybe if that pussy could commit to an entire season he'd get an MVP.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Looks like it. To me he is 1st ballot HOFer but what is the word outside of a Cards fan?
He might get in on his defense.
Offensively his stats don't jump out at you, so I'd say definitely not a 1st ballot guy.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
I don't know about first ballot, but he'll get in.
He'd get in on his defense. Offensively his stats don't jump out at you, so I'd say not a 1st ballot guy.
He is the same as Votto IMO. Under appreciated at what they actually do for the team

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
If Yadi plays 3 more seasons he might - might - get to 2000 hits. Eh
And I might be a a bad judge on his actual chances because I appreciate the defensive importance of a catcher. In today's game it's all about bombs and strikeouts.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
If Yadi plays 3 more seasons he might - might - get to 2000 hits. Eh
And I might be a a bad judge on his actual chances because I actually appreciate the defensive importance of a catcher. In today's game it's all about bombs and strikeouts.
None of that applies to him. He is the Ozzie Smith of this generation. Deal with it

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
None of that applies to him. He is the Ozzie Smith of this generation. Deal with it
Nah. I think Yadi is good enough to be in the majors. He hits for a decent average for a catcher.
If Ozzie is coming up in today's game, he doesn't make it beyond Double A.

Hey Skip, we got this crazy talented SS with great range and a crazy glove.
Oh yeah? What's he hitting?
Fuck em.
Sometimes he does back flips when he runs onto the field at the beginning of the game.
Yeah? I guess that's pretty cool.
Yeah...
.237 though? What did he hit last season?
Fuck em.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Nah. I think Yadi is good enough to be in the majors. He hits for a decent average for a catcher.
If Ozzie is coming up in today's game, he doesn't make it beyond Double A.

Hey Skip, we got this crazy talented SS with great range and a crazy glove.
Oh yeah? What's he hitting?
Fuck em.
Sometimes he does back flips when he runs onto the field at the beginning of the game.
Yeah? I guess that's pretty cool.
Yeah...
.237 though? What did he hit last season?
Fuck em.
Ozzie wasn't that bad of a hitter. What would screw him in today's game would be that he only hit about 15 homeruns in 37 seasons. Give or take.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Ozzie wasn't that bad of a hitter. What would screw him in today's game would be that he only hit about 15 homeruns in 37 seasons. Give or take.
Obviously I'm poking fun a bit.

But look at the numbers - he was a full time starter right out of the gate. He had a rookie year in 1978 that saw him hit .258 - close to what would eventually be his career average (.262). That was followed up by seasonal averages of .211, .230 and .222 - all while hitting 0 home runs. His SLG in those 3 seasons were .262, .276 and .256 - that is abysmally unproductive.

Does a young player survives three seasons in a row in today's baseball with offensive numbers like that? Even with a glove as good as his was, I doubt it.

Edit : His 4th season - the one where he had a slash of .222/.294/.256 and 0 HRs - was his 1st selection to an All Star game. Different times.

Last edited:

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
Obviously I'm poking fun a bit.

But look at the numbers - he was a full time starter right out of the gate. He had a rookie year in 1978 that saw him hit .258 - close to what would eventually be his career average (.262). That was followed up by seasonal averages of .211, .230 and .222 - all while hitting 0 home runs. His SLG in those 3 seasons were .262, .276 and .256 - that is abysmally unproductive.

Does a young player survives three seasons in a row in today's baseball with offensive numbers like that? Even with a glove as good as his was, I doubt it.

Edit : His 4th season - the one where he had a slash of .222/.294/.256 and 0 HRs - was his 1st selection to an All Star game. Different times.
You forgot to mention at one point Ozzie was the highest paid baseball player.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Reds signed Billy Hamilton to a 1 year deal worth $4.6 million

I'm good with that. He's fun to watch. Arguably the best defensive centerfielder in the game today.

Last edited: