Sports 2021 MLB Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
As a guy that's ridiculously superstitious when competing... I'll allow the continuance but it never should have happened to begin with.
Tribute to Boston Marathon and then kept them

The uniforms are obviously a stark departure from the team's traditional red and navy blue. They were designed with the marathon in mind, taking not only their color scheme from the race, but also the inclusion of a 617 patch on the shoulder in the style of a runner's bib. The stenciled "Boston" on the front vaguely evokes an MBTA subway sign.

While the Red Sox have been associated with Patriots Day since 1959, the link between the organization and the marathon became heightened following the finish line bombings in 2013. The Red Sox dedicated that season to the victims, hung a 617 banner in their dugout, and rallied the city by winning the World Series.

This year's club is just hoping to get hot as the playoffs beckon, and if they feel like the jerseys are bringing them luck, then so be it.

"If we keep winning, I think we're going to keep wearing them the rest of the season, you know?" said starter Eduardo Rodriguez. "I just show up today and see that was the uniform we're going to wear. The first time we wore it, I wasn't available to wear it, so I'm just happy to be available to wear it today."

Bogaerts isn't sure whose idea it was to feature the uniforms, but he doesn't want to stop now.

"I think in here we have some smart people," he said. "I think they made the right choice of putting on the yellow and hopefully tomorrow we wear the yellow again."

M

member 3289

Last edited by a moderator:

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Out of all American sports, baseball seems to have easily the best culture.

How popular is it, though? It never seems to get any coverage or generate any excitement in the media or on forums or whatever. The World Series doesn't generate anything close to the buzz of the Superbowl or NBA Finals. Is that because baseball is less about the destination and more about the journey, or because baseball isn't so top heavy as football and basketball (I understand that minor league teams often have enthusiastic fanbases)? Or a combination of those and other factors?

??

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Out of all American sports, baseball seems to have easily the best culture.

How popular is it, though? It never seems to get any coverage or generate any excitement in the media or on forums or whatever. The World Series doesn't generate anything close to the buzz of the Superbowl or NBA Finals. Is that because baseball is less about the destination and more about the journey, or because baseball isn't so top heavy as football and basketball (I understand that minor league teams often have enthusiastic fanbases)? Or a combination of those and other factors?

??
Baseball playoffs are the best
Weird things happen, unsung hero’s are made. Great players show whether they can show up in the heat of the moment and take a team on their back.
it’s very unpredictable in a lot of ways. Look at arod for the Yankees. A prolific homerun hitter but did zero in most of his appearances in the playoffs. Big Papi made a career out of carrying and motivating a team and fans. Derek jeter then same way, he showed them how to win, though he was carrying some real duds.
Worls series? That’s a tough one because it is a long ride and when you get to the series, it depends on who makes it and what markets are involved. I love it but some people in Pittsburg or Cincinnati might not like it very much lately as they have a very limited chance to get there due to their payrolls
nba, nope, the teams aren’t teams, they’re individuals on a city’s team and it used to be the thing to watch during the bird, Magic’l, Jordan, Utah jazz, suns hawks back in the day but there is zero consistency and the team is what star you can bring in to hopefully win it for you and then he’s off next year or the year later