Sports 2021 MLB Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
are they still playing empty stadium?
No. Limited capacity. The Mariners and a number of other teams will soon have vaccinated sections where fans can sit right next to each other like they did pre-COVID. The anti-vaxxers will still have to sit in socially distanced seats.

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
No. Limited capacity. The Mariners and a number of other teams will soon have vaccinated sections where fans can sit right next to each other like they did pre-COVID. The anti-vaxxers will still have to sit in socially distanced seats.
segregation baby

gotta fill these stadiums up!!!!

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
ohtani doesnt even look human 100 mph fastballs and powerful homeruns.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
are they still playing empty stadium?
angel stadium is limited capacity you can go buy they charge like 300 dollars a ticket for 50 dollar tickets dodger stadium too. the same thing for L.A galaxy tickets which is why I am not going to LAFC vs L.A galaxy classic tomorrow 200 dollar seats in the nosebleeds.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
There's a lot of talk about changing some things up to lessen the domination we are seeing from pitching. The 2 big ones are lowering the mound and/or moving the mound back to give the hitters more time to react. I've also heard some scuttlebutt about getting rid of the shift - which I have mixed feelings on.

I pulled the data from MLB - excluding the dead ball era - to see how offensive output has changed throughout the seasons.

1620474819543.png

The mound was lowered in 1968. Immediately after that we saw an increase in offensive production and a steady decline in strikeouts that remained until roughly 1981.

MLB turned a blind eye to steroids after the 1994 players strike and we saw a sharp increase in offensive output. When they decided to clamp down on the juicers, HR output declined for a few seasons but it remained a focus for hitters. HR = $$$ Contracts. So hitters kept swinging out of their shoes and the result was - for the 1st time in baseball history - we ended up seeing more strikeouts than we did hits in 2018. Then we saw it again in 2019. And 2020.

It's interesting that despite a focus on HRs, the runs per game has remained mostly flat for 100 years. One could argue it's an ineffective strategy - other than landing bigger contracts for the hitters.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
The yankoffs are getting away with a lot of strikes being called balls, but still can’t do shit to take advantage

They suck

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
YANKEES WIN! TTTTHHHHHEE YANKEES WIN!
I don't hate the Yankees.
But I want them to lose every game because I hate their fucking play by play guy.

MLB Network plays his "win" calls in the mornings - and I have to turn him off. Dude is so fucking annoying. I don't know why he gets so much love.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
I don't hate the Yankees.
But I want them to lose every game because I hate their fucking play by play guy.

MLB Network plays his "win" calls in the mornings - and I have to turn him off. Dude is so fucking annoying. I don't know why he gets so much love.
Because he's awesome.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
I don't know how anyone can complain about the Yankees' broadcast team. I'm watching the Angels/Astros game, and their broadcast is SO f'n boring. No energy whatsoever. I'm turning this shit off. They could just not have announcers and the game would be more interesting.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Gerrit Cole went 8 innings today with 12 K's, no runs, and no walks to lead the Yankees to a 1-0 win over Tampa.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Gerrit Cole went 8 innings today with 12 K's, no runs, and no walks to lead the Yankees to a 1-0 win over Tampa.
Gerrit "Too Cole for school" was lights out today. Oh my! The Yankees get a win over Tampa thanks to Aaron "solid as a brick" Hicks sac fly who brought in ""Don't call me Wilson" Phillips.

The Yankees win
The Yankees win
Theeeeeeeeeeeeee yankeeeeeeeeeeeessss......
..win!

Holy shit.
That dude needs to...
Shut.
The.
Fuck.
Up.

Lukewarm Carl

TMMAC Addict
Aug 7, 2015
Gerrit "Too Cole for school" was lights out today. Oh my! The Yankees get a win over Tampa thanks to Aaron "solid as a brick" Hicks sac fly who brought in ""Don't call me Wilson" Phillips.

The Yankees win
The Yankees win
Theeeeeeeeeeeeee yankeeeeeeeeeeeessss......
..win!

Holy shit.
That dude needs to...
Shut.
The.
Fuck.
Up.
SSSSSSSEE YA!

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
He always catches Cole. Not that Cole needs any help but he's just lights out with Higa back there.
I'm surprised the rest of the staff isn't like "I want to pitch like Cole too. Give me Higa"