Sports 2023 - All Things Racing Thread (Official)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

GSPinapool

Jun 21, 2019
I did ask Google assistant without any luck.
not sure about this model but Zero makes an electric motorcycle that will do 120mph or so. at top speed i'm sure the range is significantly lower than what it's advertised at though.

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019
British F1 Grand Prix this weekend, according to the Met Office weather forecast there's roughly a 50/50 chance of rain right around race time :)

NotBanjaxo

Nov 16, 2019
Hell of a race!

Started dry, then rained just enough to make it slippy but not enough for wet tyres, then dry for about 5 laps, then proper wet, then dried out for the last dozen laps.

Lewis Hamilton won in a close finish, his first win since 2021, and his 9th British GP win - the most by any driver in history at any single circuit. The crowd went nuts.

NotBanjaxo

Nov 16, 2019
F1 is getting really interesting.

Not so much in terms of the championship, as Max Verstappen built up a commanding lead early in the season when the Red Bull was clearly the fastest car, but the rest of the top teams have out developed them to this point.

Now it depends on who has the car that suits each individual track the best. McLaren, Mercedes, and Ferrari can all give Max a big fight on any given weekend, and Max's teammate Sergio Perez is in a dismal run of form so he's not going to be any help.

Today's race at the historic (and awesome) Spa Francorchamps circuit in Belgium was a good example of this, cracking race with George Russell and Lewis Hamilton finishing 1 & 2 for Mercedes, with Oscar Piastri a very close 3rd for McLaren.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
1000009252.jpg

Made my way out to a hydroplane race yesterday. Great time.

My buddy was running good until he tossed a rod. He didn't have a spare engine sitting around so his day ended early.

1000009264.jpg

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Not my pic.
Different event this weekend.

1000009269.jpg

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Every time I see footage of hydroplane racing I see at least one boat do that it seems.

They seem to be barely on the edge of crashing at all times.
There is a very fine line between running perfectly - which is on a cushion of air with only the rudder, prop and skid fin in the water while the sponsons barely dance back and forth - to getting too much air under the boat and going over backwards.

I grew up going to these races as my dad owned and drove a hydro. It was rare that we made it through the weekend without someone flipping. Dangerous sport to be sure.

NotBanjaxo

Nov 16, 2019
This the f1 thread to post in?
You're welcome to post about anything to do with racing vehicles of any kind here, but there is a dedicated F1 2024 thread started recently by one of the OG refugees.

I'll find it and post a link.

CasketCaseZombie

Aug 13, 2024
Where do you guys watch motorcycle road racing these days? Used to watch AMA, World Superbike, MotoGP, etc. on Speed, but when it became FS1 I lost track of all that.

LJB

Aug 13, 2024
Where do you guys watch motorcycle road racing these days? Used to watch AMA, World Superbike, MotoGP, etc. on Speed, but when it became FS1 I lost track of all that.
been streaming on MotoGP™ World Championship | Calendar | Results | Live Streaming since early '00s...

HBO Max now carries motogp in the US...

MotoAmerica for the domestic series... subscription based...

as an aside...

acosta threw it down at 190mph this morning in austria...

been a minute since we have seen a crash that fast...

Phuckles

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
Oct 24, 2015
Lost a legend this morning. Racing won't be the same for me. Godspeed scott bloomquist.
This sucks. Lost a legend today.