Sports 2023 - All Things Racing Thread (Official)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Kyle Larson will be driving a sprint car at my home track tonight. $12k to win, and they are marketing it as Kyle vs The Field.

Dirt In Your Beer.
Can't fucking wait.

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
And yes. Kyle Larson dominated.
Little fucker is GOOD

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
And yes. Kyle Larson dominated.
Little fucker is GOOD
very cool
looks like a good time

I have only been to one race and my view and the field looked like a shitty version of that image, it was late 80s and I think there was a Demo derby as well as a bunch of races between different vehicles

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Highlights from last night's race:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDDsw_wp9uM

Larson is 57.
The 24 car was really good all night as well. That car is driven by Rico Abreu - who happens to be a dwarf. Great driver.

Also in this field was former NASCAR driver Kasey Kahne - he wasn't too fast. I think his car was #9.
The NAPA 49 car was driven by Brad Sweet - a 5x World of Outlaw Champion (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023). He battled all night and ended up with a Top 5.

This High Limit Sprint Series is shaking things up. Great competition. Insanely fast cars.

1717252923109.png

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Free Denny Hamlin NASCAR bracket challenge.
Basically a head-to-head elimination type bracket.

It sort of works like an NCAA March Madness Bracket.

• Members will fill out a standard 32 team bracket.
  • The pick deadline is June 2, 2024 at 3:00 PM ET.
  • Each participant is limited to a single entry in the contest.
  • Points are awarded for each correct pick and the values increase as the tournament progresses, as follows:
    • First Round = 10 points
    • Second Round = 20 points
    • Third Round = 40 points
    • Semi-Finals = 80 points
    • Championship = 160 points
  • The winner is the entry with the most points at the end of the contest.

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019
The Nurburgring 24hr race is on right now, it's live and free on YouTube.

It's the full Nordschleife circuit and the modern GP circuit as well, 25km or so per lap. There's multiple classes, full on GT3 race cars right down to somewhat modified road cars, the closing speeds can be insane.

The start was nuts, the GP track was fully dry whilst it was pissing down out in the forest, cars were on a mixture of slicks, cut slicks, and full wet tyres.

Moore rain is forecast in an hour or two.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
The Nurburgring 24hr race is on right now, it's live and free on YouTube.

It's the full Nordschleife circuit and the modern GP circuit as well, 25km or so per lap. There's multiple classes, full on GT3 race cars right down to somewhat modified road cars, the closing speeds can be insane.

The start was nuts, the GP track was fully dry whilst it was pissing down out in the forest, cars were on a mixture of slicks, cut slicks, and full wet tyres.

Moore rain is forecast in an hour or two.
Can't watch in USA? WTF

NotBanjaxo

Nov 16, 2019
Can't watch in USA? WTF
Try this?

That's the official YouTube page, maybe the German commentary link will work lol.

NotBanjaxo

Nov 16, 2019
Holy shit. It's now past 11pm local time at the Nurburgring 24hr, and the onboard cameras show a terrifying reality - the drivers are doing 200mph+ and you just can't see shit.

Seriously, out in the long forest section the corners just loom out of the darkness 50 yards ahead of the car.

These drivers have balls of pure steel.

NotBanjaxo

Nov 16, 2019
The fog has now rolled in on parts of the track, the race has been red flagged till it clears up somewhat.

Good job too, combined with the darkness the visibility in placed was down to 10 yards or so.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
CBS will be running a bit of a docu-series on the World of Outlaws starting on June 9.

Basically laying out the ladder-type system of progressing from the midgets to the 410 Sprints. It also looks like they intend to broadcast the features throughout the season. Not sure if that will be live or taped - my assumption is taped as a flipped car (fairly common) almost always leads to a lengthy delay in the race.

I predict heavy coverage towards Jade Avedisian and Taylor Reimer.

Jade:
1717339252096.png

Taylor:
1717338998248.png

Interesting time for CBS to feature WoW as their back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back champion (Brad Sweet) just left the series for the High Limit Series - but whatevs.

NotBanjaxo

Nov 16, 2019
Are the majority of feeder racing series in the US oval racing?

Is there a lot of interest in races where you don't constantly turn left?

(Waiting for you to post about an oval where they race clockwise lol).

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Michael McDowell is on the pole for today's Illinois 300 with an average speed of 138.6 mph

The practice sessions saw Joey Logano log the fastest laps and he's had some success at this track. I'll likely put a wager on him to grab his first win of the season today. Worth the risk. He qualified 12th.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Are the majority of feeder racing series in the US oval racing?

Is there a lot of interest in races where you don't constantly turn left?

(Waiting for you to post about an oval where they race clockwise lol).
There are road courses around for sure. The INDY series does a lot of road courses - I just don't follow that series too much.

F1 has definitely gained in popularity around here since the NETFLIX series. But yeah, most of the local tracks - especially here in the Midwest - are dirt ovals. Easier to squeeze them into a smaller bit of land I guess.

The closest road course in my area is about 3 hours away (Mid Ohio Sports Car Course). Been there for some races. Tons of fun.

I have seen some right turns at my local track though. It was a figure 8 race with pickup trucks towing trailers. 'Merica. :)

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
So... destruction derby by another name?
No. There was a derby that night too.
The figure 8 was interesting because it was basically a game of chicken, and one driver had the strategy to blast trailers every chance he could. You could see him timing it up. Shit was hilarious.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Holy shit. Ryan Blaney just ran out of gas on the last fucking lap.

Went from an easy win to a 24th finish as he coasted the last lap with a dead engine.

Austin Cendric took the win. Fastest car was Christopher Bell but he lost a cylinder with 10 to go and had to back off just to finish the race.

High drama. Fun race.

NotBanjaxo

Nov 16, 2019
The big endurance race of the year is on, the Le Mans 24hr.

Rain has fallen briefly twice in the first few hours, staying on slicks was the best strategy the first time, it's not entirely clear what the best strategy was for the second downpour as it's still shaking out - an independent team running a Ferrari hypercar is leading from the works team right now.

NotBanjaxo

Nov 16, 2019
Full safety car deployed after a crash, the cars will all bunch up. The restart will be nuts, lots of really fast cars are a bit out of place due to the rain we've seen.

NotBanjaxo

Nov 16, 2019
It's been a very long safety car period, they had to cut out and replace a big section of armco barrier.

In the meantime, it's started absolutely pissing down. As pitstops are only allowed for "emergency" reasons under safety car conditions (low fuel or crash damage repair only), there's going to be absolute chaos on the restart as there'll be cars trying to drive on a fully wet track on slick tyres.

Fun times ahead :)