Anyone good with Resumes/Cover Letters?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Should have interviewed yourself and given yourself the job.
Funny you say that.... The position was never filled and I report directly to a director who is hands off as can be. So much easier to get shit done when a manager isn't in the way.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Ok, fair enough.

First some questions for you then. What kind of jobs are you looking to apply to? Are you staying in the same field, switching careers? What is your work history like? The easiest resume and most effective for someone with a strong work history in the field or related industries is a chronological resume. Functional resume's work decently to highlight your skills and past accomplishments. So the first step is to choose what type of resume you want to compose.

For cover letters I recommend writing a template that you can easily modify for specific applications. Avoid using "to whom it may concern" unless you cannot find a person or department to address. Make sure to address both why you and the company are a good fit for eachother. Discuss your career goals, highlight your strongest attributes and skills. It's a delicate balance to make the perfect cover letter.

Here is a page with some good advice on the cover letter: Cover Letter Help: Don't Make these Cover Letter Mistakes | Monster.ca
1. Any at the moment
2. It truly doesnt matter what field outside of police work.
3. Jack of all trades but master of sarcasm. Since I left the navy I've done a bit of everything.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
1. Any at the moment
3. Jack of all trades but master of sarcasm. Since I left the navy I've done a bit of everything.
Oh shit, didn't realize you were a squid. OK man you are in a similar position like what I was in. What was your Mos, rank, when did you get out? Where are you roughly located? Any awards or anything while you were in? Hold any billets?

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Oh shit, didn't realize you were a squid. OK man you are in a similar position like what I was in. What was your Mos, rank, when did you get out? Where are you roughly located? Any awards or anything while you were in? Hold any billets?
I was ET subsurface, worked with satcoms and surveillance equip. That's literally all I'm willing to say.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I was ET subsurface, worked with satcoms and surveillance equip. That's literally all I'm willing to say.
That's cool man. I have a family member who did high level comms. I'll reach out to him and see if he has any advice or a direction to point you in.
What's something you have a passion for? I know not everyone wants to do what they did in the military after they are out.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Some things I'd highlight though is your proven ability to work under extremely stressful conditions, ability to work with a team made up of a diverse group of people, and your work ethic, and leadership ability if you were in a leadership position ie NCO/SNCO, held a billet, team lead etc

M

member 1013

1. Any at the moment
I would probably go with a chronological resume then, Microsoft Office has many easy to use templates that look professional.

Other than your work history you want to highlight any certifications, education or training you have that may be relevant. You also should list your skills and abilities. Here is a list of "transferable" skills you can use to get started: Transferable Skills Checklist What are some of your strong points? I would assume discipline, punctuality and teamwork given your military background. What precisely did you do in the Navy? Do you have any specific skills in regards to computers/technology or construction/tools for example?

Here's a good template from Princeton on cover letters:
Cover Letter Template | Career Services

Hope this is a good start.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
That's cool man. I have a family member who did high level comms. I'll reach out to him and see if he has any advice or a direction to point you in.
What's something you have a passion for?
Shit that doesn't pay worth a damn lol. Was working 70/80 hour weeks at the last job and the one before that so I dropped school for the time being. Was going for Petroleum engineering, but didnt really care outside that it would let me work 6 months a year and still make over 100k a year. I have a psyche degree and was working towards being a sports psychologist to work with fighters, be the only purely dedicated Psychologist to MMA/kickboxing. Beyond that, no true interests anymore.

My resume isnt the problem, I had mine done by someone who is a professional. I trust her judgement and IMO looks pretty damn good.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Also, I get why you don't want to out too much info out there. I'd be willing to give you my email if you want to get more specific and have me go through what you have once you get it started. I'm no guru but I can at least see if you are on the right track etc.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Shit that doesn't pay worth a damn lol. Was working 70/80 hour weeks at the last job and the one before that so I dropped school for the time being. Was going for Petroleum engineering, but didnt really care outside that it would let me work 6 months a year and still make over 100k a year. I have a psyche degree and was working towards being a sports psychologist to work with fighters, be the only purely dedicated Psychologist to MMA/kickboxing. Beyond that, no true interests anymore.

My resume isnt the problem, I had mine done by someone who is a professional. I trust her judgement and IMO looks pretty damn good.
Oh awesome. Highlight those intangible skills you picked up in the military for your cover letter. It'll be able to be used across different fields with little to no edits.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
I would hire you because I remember you being fucking hilarious in the past.

Most people I have working for me are boring or lazy but they're making shit money so I don't expect anything.

As for the resume thing, I have the same issue with writing about myself. I can write about someone else, no problem. But me? Fuck that, I can't.
I print resumes all day at work and cringe because people are so terrible at writing them...

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
I would hire you because I remember you being fucking hilarious in the past.

Most people I have working for me are boring or lazy but they're making shit money so I don't expect anything.

As for the resume thing, I have the same issue with writing about myself. I can write about someone else, no problem. But me? Fuck that, I can't.
I print resumes all day at work and cringe because people are so terrible at writing them...
I work really hard, always have. Just havent had luck in finding anything that feels right, if that makes sense.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
I work really hard, always have. Just havent had luck in finding anything that feels right, if that makes sense.
I completely understand that.
It's why I jumped at the part time, shitty ass paying position when Office Depot called me.
I tried to work there every time I was jobless.
It paid off, I worked my way to manager in three months.
I'm now waiting it out for a position to open at the print center.

If you're ever desperate enough to come to FL and take a shitty paying, retail job, lemme know.

Also, my ex hated you because he said you're a "metal snob" so, anything to fuck with him is good by me. Haha.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
I completely understand that.
It's why I jumped at the part time, shitty ass paying position when Office Depot called me.
I tried to work there every time I was jobless.
It paid off, I worked my way to manager in three months.
I'm now waiting it out for a position to open at the print center.

If you're ever desperate enough to come to FL and take a shitty paying, retail job, lemme know.

Also, my ex hated you because he said you're a "metal snob" so, anything to fuck with him is good by me. Haha.
Good for you. I won't go to florida tbh.. I like where I am. Want to stay here.

Fuck that guy too. Trivium, slipknot, korn arent metal. deal with it.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
Good for you. I won't go to florida tbh.. I like where I am. Want to stay here.

Fuck that guy too. Trivium, slipknot, korn arent metal. deal with it.
Lol, I didn't know if you'd remember him.

Also, I wouldn't go to Florida, either. I'm just already here, brought when I was far too little to protest.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Lol, I didn't know if you'd remember him.

Also, I wouldn't go to Florida, either. I'm just already here, brought when I was far too little to protest.
Try me?

And I get you. I came here with my ex.. love wyoming..it was my second choice but since she didnt have a passport I couldnt drive with her to alaska to my first choice. So been here 4 years almost.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
Try me?

And I get you. I came here with my ex.. love wyoming..it was my second choice but since she didnt have a passport I couldnt drive with her to alaska to my first choice. So been here 4 years almost.
BestChrisEver

Alaska, I want.
Wyoming sounds interesting.
If my boyfriend and I were to break up, I'd be moving away.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
BestChrisEver

Alaska, I want.
Wyoming sounds interesting.
If my boyfriend and I were to break up, I'd be moving away.
lol that douche? haha

Wyoming is great. I love this place. a little under 5k a year for school if you're a resident. 580k people in the entire state. Most guns per people in the nation, 6th lowest crime rate.. awesome place.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
what sort of a position are you applying for?

If its a serious gig I can't help. If its something lighter, I have found that if I write something UNEXPECTED, humorous, or out of the ordinary for a cover letter, it almost always worked.
heh what kind of wacky things did you write on your cover letter?

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
lol that douche? haha

Wyoming is great. I love this place. a little under 5k a year for school if you're a resident. 580k people in the entire state. Most guns per people in the nation, 6th lowest crime rate.. awesome place.
Yeah, that one! Ex for an obvious reason. I also think I said you were cute once and that probably didn't help, ha.

That sounds like an awesome place to go. You sold me at "most guns per person." I'm oblivious, is it open carry?

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Yeah, that one! Ex for an obvious reason. I also think I said you were cute once and that probably didn't help, ha.

That sounds like an awesome place to go. You sold me at "most guns per person." I'm oblivious, is it open carry?
Least strict gun laws in the nation.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
-55 here last year before the windchill.
I like the cold but, yeah... I've been here 20 years, I'm used to it.
I get dirty looks when I wear jeans and a short sleeve shirt in the 60s.
They wear fucking snow jackets when it's in the 60s. SNOW JACKETS!