General Anyone had to mow their grass yet?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Had to finally cave in and cut ours over the weekend, and it sucked as badly as I thought it would. Wouldn't have done it if it weren't for my neighbors cutting theirs. I am already dreading having to do this shit once a week for the next 6 months.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Neighbors are the worst. If i see mine mowing in the next 2 weeks i will throw rocks and knock them off the mower.

I’m considering buying Roundup and killing all my grass so i don’t have to deal with it.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Nope. Should be able to hold out for another week or so.

I don't mind it. Throw on the headphones and listen to a ballgame. Generally takes me about 3 innings.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Had to finally cave in and cut ours over the weekend, and it sucked as badly as I thought it would. Wouldn't have done it if it weren't for my neighbors cutting theirs. I am already dreading having to do this shit once a week for the next 6 months.
Neighbors are the worst. If i see mine mowing in the next 2 weeks i will throw rocks and knock them off the mower.

I’m considering buying Roundup and killing all my grass so i don’t have to deal with it.
The answer is fake grass. Now before you turn your nose up you should check it out. The house we got now is fake grass, rocks and shrubs, “zero scape” is what people up here call it. I don’t own a mower or weed whacker and have no need to keep gasoline or oil on hand or tune small engine annually. It fools almost everyone who comes over until they walk on it. About a week ago all I had to do is rake up some pine needles then use my leaf blower on it and I’m good for the season. Our summers get into the 40s C and as cold as -25C. Grass is a lot of work and simply not worth it, to me at least. If I made yatch money like Splinty @Splinty I’d hire some people to maintain proper grass perhaps. Another feature I’m loving now with my new dog is the “grass” doesn’t hold in any moisture and as much filth and bugs. I’m rolling around it it daily now playing with Kevin and no wet knees or grass stains. Also we got a pool and the surrounding “grass” won’t get fucked up from chlorine water spilling onto to it consistently.

Would recommend.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Nope. Should be able to hold out for another week or so.

I don't mind it. Throw on the headphones and listen to a ballgame. Generally takes me about 3 innings.
Listening to baseball? Lol.

Spidermoore

Oct 19, 2015
I figure mowing is still at least a month away for me. If you look carefully you can see that there are tiny flakes of new snow falling in the pic I just took.BE2CDB51-3B1C-42C1-A92C-4062750DC73C.jpeg

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The answer is fake grass. Now before you turn your nose up you should check it out. The house we got now is fake grass, rocks and shrubs, “zero scape” is what people up here call it. I don’t own a mower or weed whacker and have no need to keep gasoline or oil on hand or tune small engine annually. It fools almost everyone who comes over until they walk on it. About a week ago all I had to do is rake up some pine needles then use my leaf blower on it and I’m good for the season. Our summers get into the 40s C and as cold as -25C. Grass is a lot of work and simply not worth it, to me at least. If I made yatch money like Splinty @Splinty I’d hire some people to maintain proper grass perhaps. Another feature I’m loving now with my new dog is the “grass” doesn’t hold in any moisture and as much filth and bugs. I’m rolling around it it daily now playing with Kevin and no wet knees or grass stains. Also we got a pool and the surrounding “grass” won’t get fucked up from chlorine water spilling onto to it consistently.

Would recommend.
Yeah, I'm sure our HOA would love us laying down 3/4 acre of outdoor carpet.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
They replaced all my grass with cement it is actually very nice not to deal with grass I feel like a bald woman now having to deal with my hair. The desert land scape is actually becoming popular here to save on water bills. The neighborhood is also quieter with less gardners.

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Yep, 3-4 times so far

Grass Seed capitol of the World
Grass grows here in Late Jan-Feb

My Garden and front yard is Round Rock of various sizes so it is lower maintenance than a lawn
My lawn is tiny...No chickens right now but I only keep the lawn for then to use...my backyard is mostly fruit trees and garden beds

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
They replaced all my grass with cement it is actually very nice not to deal with grass I feel like a bald woman now having to deal with my hair. The desert land scape is actually becoming popular here to save on water bills. The neighborhood is also quieter with less gardners.
Hotter?
That Concrete holds heat for more hours than Soil/Earth

Ditching the law is a good idea where you are...a couple trees can do more than a lawn and only needs water once a month

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
My yard requires mowing all year. In the fall I seed winter rye. Deer love it too.

Here's below freezing middle of winter...

Screenshot_20220406-183634.png

Neighbors hate me.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Do you have to water it in summer?
Yard is made of several types of grass. The winter rye is planted annually.
The rest grows fine in Texas weather and is green the rest of the year.

But yes must water in Texas heat.
Smart sprinkler system fed by a lake.

Last year replacing as much of the lawn as possible with clover to fix nitrogen and create a low maintenance, more environmentally sound ground cover for the rest of the year. Seeding more of that already. Takes a few seasons to get a good clover yard going.

Between these two types of ground cover, I've got deer in my front yard 300+ days a year.

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Yard is made of several types of grass. The winter rye is planted annually.
The rest grows fine in Texas weather and is green the rest of the year.

But yes must water in Texas heat.
Smart sprinkler system fed by a lake.

Last year replacing as much of the lawn as possible with clover to fix nitrogen and create a low maintenance, more environmentally sound ground cover for the rest of the year. Seeding more of that already. Takes a few seasons to get a good clover yard going.

Between these two types of ground cover, I've got deer in my front yard 300+ days a year.
Sounds really cool

1649288865955.png

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Hotter?
That Concrete holds heat for more hours than Soil/Earth

Ditching the law is a good idea where you are...a couple trees can do more than a lawn and only needs water once a month
It rarely hits over 80 here so I cant notice .seems less humid than when I had grass and I get no mosquitos now grass attracted bugs and things like a vole or golphers I have no rodents now.