General Bought a new car.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

RussfromNH

Live Free or Die
Dec 12, 2018
I know how to do all of that!

Also, I have a few good mechanics. My dad is very popular because he runs a bait and tackle shop here.
Cool, It's tough being able to trust a mechanic.
It drives me nuts when a girl or a guy have no clue about some of the basics when it come to cars. Where to check the oil, trans fluid, washer fluid, tire pressure, how to change a flat/windshield wipers

I taught me daughter and my son the same way.

My daughter was driving her car with two guy friends in the car with her, she got a flat. Both boys had no idea how to change the tire so she did it all herself. The empowered expression on her face when she told me what happened was gold!

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
Cool, It's tough being able to trust a mechanic.
It drives me nuts when a girl or a guy have no clue about some of the basics when it come to cars. Where to check the oil, trans fluid, washer fluid, tire pressure, how to change a flat/windshield wipers

I taught me daughter and my son the same way.

My daughter was driving her car with two guy friends in the car with her, she got a flat. Both boys had no idea how to change the tire so she did it all herself. The empowered expression on her face when she told me what happened was gold!
I know the logistics of changing a flat, but I physically don’t think I could, between lifting the spare/flat and the force you have to use sometimes to get the lug nuts off...
I can check my fluids, add fluids if necessary, change the wipers (my old Mazda 3 was a pain), and have no issues with checking tire pressure and adding air. My dad did my brakes not too long ago, so I have someone to handle those. I wish I would have learned more automotive repair stuff when I was younger, but I didn’t.

My dad checked everything on the car yesterday. He was very pleased, said it was in good shape. He used to do repairs, but his specialty was motorcycles and custom paint jobs.

RussfromNH

Live Free or Die
Dec 12, 2018
I know the logistics of changing a flat, but I physically don’t think I could, between lifting the spare/flat and the force you have to use sometimes to get the lug nuts off...
I can check my fluids, add fluids if necessary, change the wipers (my old Mazda 3 was a pain), and have no issues with checking tire pressure and adding air. My dad did my brakes not too long ago, so I have someone to handle those. I wish I would have learned more automotive repair stuff when I was younger, but I didn’t.

My dad checked everything on the car yesterday. He was very pleased, said it was in good shape. He used to do repairs, but his specialty was motorcycles and custom paint jobs.

Understandable you can't lift the spare/flat tire or loosen the lug nuts, some people just have zero mechanical ability in any way shape or form. Changing your own flat is not a must know thing. Besides having roadside service these days is a blessing, depending how long your willing to wait.

Knowing enough to keep something not so bad from turning real bad or from being taken advantage of is key.

Having the ability lets you grab the situation by the balls. I still do my kids oil/brakes to help keep the cost down.

I like the sound of your dad btw, bait and tackle/motorcycles/custom paint, a man after my own heart!!

All the best with your new ride ;)

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
How are you enjoying the Mazda gangsterkathryn @gangsterkathryn ?

I recently bought a 2008 at a steal of a deal.. with the plans to trade it in for one of our govt rebates on an electric or hybrid. The car is a lot more fun to drive than I expected.

As well, we are looking at a new Mazda CX5.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
It's pulled a while ago. Guy can't stop shit posting about Trump and he's a Canadian.

Bought my parents an MX-5 Grand Touring in January. Great car BTW. They had a Kia Sportage SX turbo. They actually liked the Kia better.
I ride a Rhinoceros if my Kodiak breaks down

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
I ride a Rhinoceros if my Kodiak breaks down
I actually have some Prius and former Prius drivers in my family. Two with other hybrids. A Lexus and a Lincoln. The Prius is a POS. One just needed batteries that was about $3000. The Lincoln and Lexus are new. We have a friend that has the SUV gullwing door Tesla. He bought a Lexus SUV the other day still has the Tesla.

If money isn't an object Tesla's are really nice. Stay the fuck away from Prius. They drive like shit, interior sucks. The only good thing is they can hold hold a lot of crap with the rear seats down. That Lincoln is gorgeous. The Lexus is a little hatchback that they stopped making this year. It's nicer then the Prius but I didn't really like it.

My GF and I flew up to NC at the beginning of the year to pick up a Lexus RC350 FSport. Only color combo in the country. That car is amazing.

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
Looks like a beautiful ride.
I've got a truck & commuter car.
Next transportation I get is gonna be a motorcycle and '67 Firebird.
We have an SUV and the Lexus. My 16 year old doesn't have his license yet but has an almost new car waiting for him. Kind of my fault not taking him out. My GF was doing it but now she doesn't want him driving the Lexus lol.

I had a 71 Firechicken when I was 18. Built the engine in my parents garage and took it to a body shop. I had the rear spoiler molded in (no seams) white with a blue stripe down the middle like the Trans Am. True story. I was dating an older chick. I was nuts over her. She also had a FB that's how we met. My mom couldn't stand her so she bought me a brand new Nissan Z car. She figured I would have to work to pay for the insurance while going to school so I wouldn't have time for the chick. I was the only 18 year old around with 2 cars. I put so much time and sweat into the FB. The front wheels would come off the ground off the line. That Z though was so sweet I ended up selling the FB. and kept the flashy Z.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
We have an SUV and the Lexus. My 16 year old doesn't have his license yet but has an almost new car waiting for him. Kind of my fault not taking him out. My GF was doing it but now she doesn't want him driving the Lexus lol.

I had a 71 Firechicken when I was 18. Built the engine in my parents garage and took it to a body shop. I had the rear spoiler molded in (no seams) white with a blue stripe down the middle like the Trans Am. True story. I was dating an older chick. I was nuts over her. She also had a FB that's how we met. My mom couldn't stand her so she bought me a brand new Nissan Z car. She figured I would have to work to pay for the insurance while going to school so I wouldn't have time for the chick. I was the only 18 year old around with 2 cars. I put so much time and sweat into the FB. The front wheels would come off the ground off the line. That Z though was so sweet I ended up selling the FB. and kept the flashy Z.
Z cars are badass

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
I'm surprised you had one
Thanks to mom hating my GF. Kind of fucked when you think about it. I carried a screwdriver. Behind the driver seats was the hatch area. It had 2 compartments with handles. We fucked a lot back there so I would have to remove the handles or they got in the way.

Mom was right about her. She ended up cheating on me after a couple years. Some years later I ran into her and she was dating some guy. I was drinking a lot and had a lifted truck by then. She started fucking me behind the other guys back. Ran into years later again. She was engaged to some guy who was cheating on her. We fucked again. I was so wasted I don't even remember it. Lost touch with her after that.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

My first was a 73 FB ragtop. I loved it, but didn't exactly earn it.
My 17yo is gonna drive me to her appointment in about 4 hours, I should probably get some sleep lol.
That's hers to earn.
My 16yo is off the hook.
I wouldn't let her touch ANY keys.
The cops would probably find my rig(s) on blocks 3 states away next week.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I was allowed to drive 'on the road' the summer before I turned 14. But I drove tractors since Grandpa tied wood blocks to the pedal and I could see over hood. That was the summer I drove my first stick shift, not counting working the stick from the passenger seat as a kid. Grandpa's neighbor had a Chevy pick-up with a built 454 and a 4 speed, geared looooow...1st gear would pull over a house, you started in 2nd. I drove it back and forth from where he'd felled trees and his house down the road.

but Holy Shit would that bastard move when you got down on the loud pedal. And it'd get sideways on the gravel if the thought crossed your mind...good times. Probably a minor miracle that I didn't roll it, considering how much wood I'd have in the back.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Man card pulled
For a second vehicle, I have no problem entertaining the idea of an electric or hybrid considering the govt is willing to give me 10 grand in kick backs.

As well, I drive a lot for work. I get reimbursed per KM driven regardless of if its a gas or electric vehicle. Between the reimbursements and the savings / earnings I would make billing the govt per KM while driving a non gas car. I could easily have that shit paid off with no money out of pocket within a couple years.

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
Sounds like a double win to me. Champ champ if you will. Just the fact I am Canadian makes me more manly than you.

No you didnt... Lets see the bill of sale or it didnt happen.
Yawn. Orange man bad who has nothing to do with me. Enjoy your new beater champ, champ.