Lifestyle Bourbon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Also, I've been entering all of the recent lotteries for the Pappy collections so i should start finding out about those in a week or two.
I've been dying to get my hands on a bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve "Lot B". I can only find it on the black market online. It's normally about an $80ish dollar bottle, and these shitheads online are asking $700-800. Fuckers. I want one, but no bottle is worth that much IMO. Too many "collectors" these day that have allowed the black market to thrive and persist.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I've been dying to get my hands on a bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve "Lot B". I can only find it on the black market online. It's normally about an $80ish dollar bottle, and these shitheads online are asking $700-800. Fuckers. I want one, but no bottle is worth that much IMO. Too many "collectors" these day that have allowed the black market to thrive and persist.
Not gonna lie.. if i hit the Pappy 15 lottery that one is definitely going to the secondary market.

Then I'll take the cash and buy something good to drink.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Not gonna lie.. if i hit the Pappy 15 lottery that one is definitely going to the secondary market.

Then I'll take the cash and buy something good to drink.
I get it, and Pappy is a little different. It's super rare, and is a collectible. There's a premium that comes with that. The lower end bottles are only hard to find because people raid liquor stores so they can make quick cash online. They don't care about the bourbon. It's a false shortage, and it's ruined the price structure.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
I like bourbon too. However we aren't good playmates. Everytime I've woken up in a holding cell, brown liquor was involved. So, now I stick to Vodka.

Edit: And beer. I have 2 hands.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I get it, and Pappy is a little different. It's super rare, and is a collectible. There's a premium that comes with that. The lower end bottles are only hard to find because people raid liquor stores so they can make quick cash online. They don't care about the bourbon. It's a false shortage, and it's ruined the price structure.
Eh... I would keep it if I liked it. I entered for the 15, 23, a collection, and the ones for the 10 and 12 start next week. I'll keep all of them other than the 15. I've had it several times and it's just dog shit.

I'd rather drink lighter fluid.

So since it'll cost $100 and I can flip it for more. It'll buy a lot of whisky that's worth drinking.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Eh... I would keep it if I liked it. I entered for the 15, 23, a collection, and the ones for the 10 and 12 start next week. I'll keep all of them other than the 15. I've had it several times and it's just dog shit.

So since it'll cost $100 and I can flip it for more. It'll buy a lot of whisky that's worth drinking.
The 15 is my least favorite Pappy, and I think that is common opinion. But collectors gonna collect....

20 is where it's at. The 23 is a step down from the 20 IMO.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I like bourbon too. However we aren't good playmates. Everytime I've woken up in a holding cell, brown liquor was involved. So, now I stick to Vodka.

Edit: And beer. I have 2 hands.
I say stick with whatever liquor that lets you know where you stand. Tequila is my problematic booze.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

Where are you entering? Through a local liquor store?

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
When it comes to American Whiskey, these are the top of the heap for me, but this thread is making me want to expand my collection...

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
When it comes to American Whiskey, these are the top of the heap for me, but this thread is making me want to expand my collection...
Almost bought the Whistlepig last night. It's good but not double the price of the Michter's. Plus, I'm just not a huge fan of rye. A little more bite than I prefer.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Where are you entering? Through a local liquor store?
The state of Virginia does all of their limited batches via lottery. You enter and if you win you get to buy it and then send it to your local store.

Because it's through the state you still get solid pricing instead of inflated shit like in other places.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
The state of Virginia does all of their limited batches via lottery. You enter and if you win you get to buy it and then send it to your local store.

Because it's through the state you still get solid pricing instead of inflated shit like in other places.
I need to look into that here. I know sometimes select liquor stores will have some kind of special event lottery, and a bottle of Pappy is usually the golden prize. I've entered a couple, but never won. Well, I won a bottle of Crown once lol, but I've never won the chance to buy a bottle of Pappy.

Last edited:

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
BeardOfKnowledge @ConorMcGregorsBeard

I forgot to mention last night:

The place I found the Eagle Rare and EH Taylor last night also had 1 bottle of Blanton's left on the shelf. But they had $120 on the sticker, so I passed.

Fuckers.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
My wife got me a copy of this for Xmas:

Excellent book so far. Its a great history of the Old Fitzgerald/Stitzel-Weller distilleries, and all the men (all still have bottles in their names still, true to their recipes) that made all these great whiskies and created what has now became the Buffalo Trace Distillery.

Well worth a flip through or read if you see it.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Have not tried the Whistle Pig, but it has been on my list.

Willet is great bourbon, I like that one quite a bit. Willet also makes an excellent rye that I can't recommend enough. I'm hit or miss with rye - some are great and some are meh. The Willet is in a league of its own, and is the gold standard for rye as far as I am concerned. If you see it, grab it! Usually $40-50 range. And it's a little hot alcohol-wise, but it doesn't drink like it is.

(I'm trying to post a pic of my bottle, but it isn't working. Will keep trying)

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
By the way... If you want a decent watch as far as reviews of whisky goes then check out this youtube page... Definitely some Texas hipsters but pretty entertaining.

Whiskey Vault

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
By the way... If you want a decent watch as far as reviews of whisky goes then check out this youtube page... Definitely some Texas hipsters but pretty entertaining.

Whiskey Vault
I've seen a couple of their vids before, but haven't followed them. I just now scrolled through their youtube page and it looks like I've got a bunch more to watch!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Any idea what your import laws are regarding tobacco down there?
No idea, I'd have to do a little research.

I have a hard time with the big cigars that take forever to smoke. I have to tap out less than half way through. I've had a few that were ok and I generally enjoyed. But I find it distracts me from the whiskey flavors, rather than complimenting them. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something.