Lifestyle Bourbon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Flavor profiles of whiskey/bourbon I enjoy is lost on me. I have no idea. I can tell you I like strong coffee with vanilla flavoring, and dark teas. I don’t know how much that helps. I’m lost when it comes to this stuff.
And those were around $50. That would be my around my limit.
My recommendations above will still stand for you. I’d actually emphasize Greenspot Irish for you. It’s a little different on the profile but hints of leather & Apple(more pronounced) would be the most prominent. It’s a fairly complex pour if you take the time to enjoy it.

For an American, Michters American. It’s better than the Michters Bourbon & also more complex but easily approachable.

Both can be had in my area in the $40-50 range.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I saw some bourbons I wanna try. I don’t know what appealed to me but fuck it, I was interested. I didn’t buy them because I don’t want to buy and waste my money because I don’t like it. I bought Crown (don’t judge me. I don’t know better). Tell me anything.
View attachment 35255
View attachment 35256
The only one of those 3 I have tried is the Hudson. It was a while ago, but I’ll do my best to remember what I thought:

I remember it being really heavy on the corn, which can be good or bad depending on what you like. Little more than I generally prefer. I like it when there are some other grains like rye mixed into the mash. Rye gives it more of the cinnamon spice kind of notes. Someone in the group also said it was supposed to have vanilla notes, but I didn’t find those. It was really split among the group, half really liked it and the rest were just meh about it (I was a meh).

if you’re looking to spend around $50, we can definitely help you select a bottle.

how do you plan on drinking? Neat, ice, mixer, etc

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
My recommendations above will still stand for you. I’d actually emphasize Greenspot Irish for you. It’s a little different on the profile but hints of leather & Apple(more pronounced) would be the most prominent. It’s a fairly complex pour if you take the time to enjoy it.

For an American, Michters American. It’s better than the Michters Bourbon & also more complex but easily approachable.

Both can be had in my area in the $40-50 range.
Thanks. That Greenspot sounds good. I’m a big fan of the Crown Apple (again, I know how people feel about my shitty choices but I’m a sucker). I mix my drinks, though, and they definitely sound like sipping straight options.

I will definitely look for that.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
The only one of those 3 I have tried is the Hudson. It was a while ago, but I’ll do my best to remember what I thought:

I remember it being really heavy on the corn, which can be good or bad depending on what you like. Little more than I generally prefer. I like it when there are some other grains like rye mixed into the mash. Rye gives it more of the cinnamon spice kind of notes. Someone in the group also said it was supposed to have vanilla notes, but I didn’t find those. It was really split among the group, half really liked it and the rest were just meh about it (I was a meh).

if you’re looking to spend around $50, we can definitely help you select a bottle.

how do you plan on drinking? Neat, ice, mixer, etc
If I remember correctly, it definitely was supposed to have very light vanilla notes according to the bottle. It showed what the notes were but I only remember vanilla. ??‍♀

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Thanks. That Greenspot sounds good. I’m a big fan of the Crown Apple (again, I know how people feel about my shitty choices but I’m a sucker). I mix my drinks, though, and they definitely sound like sipping straight options.

I will definitely look for that.
If you like sweeter, like Crown Apple, maybe see if your store has one called Clyde May’s. You’d be looking for the one that says “Alabama Whiskey”, not their straight bourbon.

it is sweeter and has a lot of fruity notes, and it’s kind of apple-y. Smooth and easy to drink. Should only be around $35ish. Its pretty common too, so I’d guess it’ll be available in FLA. It’s sweeter than I tend to reach for, but it was unique and a lot of people seem to enjoy it. I have also heard their straight bourbon is good, but I haven’t tried that.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
If you like sweeter, like Crown Apple, maybe see if your store has one called Clyde May’s. You’d be looking for the one that says “Alabama Whiskey”, not their straight bourbon.

it is sweeter and has a lot of fruity notes, and it’s kind of apple-y. Smooth and easy to drink. Should only be around $35ish. Its pretty common too, so I’d guess it’ll be available in FLA. It’s sweeter than I tend to reach for, but it was unique and a lot of people seem to enjoy it. I have also heard their straight bourbon is good, but I haven’t tried that.
I think I’m just a sucker for anything Apple. I am super into ciders, especially if they’re green apple flavored. Actually, I just had a blackberry cider that is from Austin because I was there for a day the other day. It was so good, I would say it was in my top three.
98FF439C-3781-4892-8FA8-CF664809A735.jpeg

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
Fuck I remember not long ago when Blantons was $40-45. It’s nearly $200 now where I live. I don’t touch bourbon over $60 as it’s just not worth it to me. I’d buy Blanton all day at $60 though.
Bought it from Costco a couple weeks ago. $55

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
Fuck I remember not long ago when Blantons was $40-45. It’s nearly $200 now where I live. I don’t touch bourbon over $60 as it’s just not worth it to me. I’d buy Blanton all day at $60 though.
5 of the bottles there cost more/worth more than the Blanton's too. I've been lucky recently

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
You’ve got some nice bottles there ?

thoughts on the smoke wagon? I haven’t tried that one.
Really enjoy it. I had it shipped here from a buddy. I wish I had easier access. If you can grab for a reasonable price def get. I overpaid at $100 but wanted it

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
5 of the bottles there cost more/worth more than the Blanton's too. I've been lucky recently
Yeah I noticed what you’ve got going on there ;)

I just commented on Blanton because of the local surge in prices for it around me.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
A buddy paid $110 for a bottle a few weeks ago. It's a dumb market lol
It’s absolutely a dumb market. Around here, some stores mark it up to $300-$500. And there are enough people dumb enough to buy it, so they keep doing it. I know a few stores that if they actually have any, will sell for MSRP. But it’s tough to find these days. Lots of whiskey searchers here, it’s competitive to find certain bottles. All timing and who you know.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Got a deal on some makers 46 so will have to give it a goView attachment 35462
This has been one of the nicest bourbons I've ever had. You might not enjoy it if you don't like sweet bourbons.
It smells of caramel, it's smooth and bold with heavy oak flavours. It's like a bourbon/scotch hybrid.
I love it! Highly recommended as a sipper

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Yeah I noticed what you’ve got going on there ;)

I just commented on Blanton because of the local surge in prices for it around me.
Don't understand chasing name brands when there's so many good bottles at good value on the shelves.
Never had Blantons and can't say that I've seen it on any shelves, bit there's enough good stuff out there that I don't feel like I'm missing out.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Don't understand chasing name brands when there's so many good bottles at good value on the shelves.
Never had Blantons and can't say that I've seen it on any shelves, bit there's enough good stuff out there that I don't feel like I'm missing out.
My American/Bourbon cap is $60 & I rarely go above $50.