Lifestyle Bourbon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
This has been one of the nicest bourbons I've ever had. You might not enjoy it if you don't like sweet bourbons.
It smells of caramel, it's smooth and bold with heavy oak flavours. It's like a bourbon/scotch hybrid.
I love it! Highly recommended as a sipper
I’ve had it before, but honestly don’t remember much about it. I see it all the time, I’ll grab another bottle sometime to refresh my memory. IIRC it’s pretty reasonably priced.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
rmenergy @rmenergy have you tried the nicer bottles from Old Forrester? They’re all pretty tasty, been enjoying those over the last couple of years. Around here there around the $45-55 mark

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
rmenergy @rmenergy have you tried the nicer bottles from Old Forrester? They’re all pretty tasty, been enjoying those over the last couple of years. Around here there around the $45-55 mark
Yes. Im actually not a fan of the OF prohibition series. It seems that many are & that’s fine, it’s just not for me.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Yes. Im actually not a fan of the OF prohibition series. It seems that many are & that’s fine, it’s just not for me.
To each their own my man ?
we all have our preferred tastes. I imagine you and I have different palates as I mostly drink bourbon, and it sounds like you dive more into scotch and Irish.

I will say that my initial opinion of the OF was just meh. Not bad, not awesome. But they’ve grown on me and I enjoy them more now that I’ve gotten to know them better.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Any of you dabble into the Japanese whiskey? I wasn’t impressed the first handful I tried so I haven’t been high on the product in general, but I have now had a few that I like ok. A lot of it was very thin and light, not a bold enough flavor for me. Lots more options popping up now too, so surely some more good ones will occur.

my brother gave this one to me last week. Not too bad. It’s a basic single malt, very easy to drink. I could see a more sophisticated scotch drinker not thinking it’s complex enough, but as a scotch simpleton, it was pretty decent. All I will say is that I won’t have a hard time drinking the bottle ?

223E8B6C-A05A-4733-8419-C5DA3C7D91F9.jpeg

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Any of you dabble into the Japanese whiskey? I wasn’t impressed the first handful I tried so I haven’t been high on the product in general, but I have now had a few that I like ok. A lot of it was very thin and light, not a bold enough flavor for me. Lots more options popping up now too, so surely some more good ones will occur.

my brother gave this one to me last week. Not too bad. It’s a basic single malt, very easy to drink. I could see a more sophisticated scotch drinker not thinking it’s complex enough, but as a scotch simpleton, it was pretty decent. All I will say is that I won’t have a hard time drinking the bottle ?

View attachment 35701
I haven’t tried much since Hibiki 12 ran out. Have tried a few with mixed results. The age statement Hibiki variants are probably the best blends anywhere in the world.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Yes.

It's like Scotch if they found a way to not make scotch taste like English Leather.
I’m not nearly as familiar with scotch as I am with bourbon. But I just can’t do the heavy peat and smoke. But, there is a lot of good scotch outside of that. I just need to learn it more.

if you have any Japanese recommendations, I’m all ears. There are a ton of offerings now, but I’ve only had a handful that I know I like.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I haven’t tried much since Hibiki 12 ran out. Have tried a few with mixed results. The age statement Hibiki variants are probably the best blends anywhere in the world.
Mixed results is the same with me, but I haven’t tried a crazy amount so my experience is limited. But I have to admit it’s growing on me when I find a good one.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Mixed results is the same with me, but I haven’t tried a crazy amount so my experience is limited. But I have to admit it’s growing on me when I find a good one.
There’s plenty of nice bars with a great selection of Japanese whisky. Poke around & see who has what & get your taste on.

You may want to concentrate on nice eateries with good bars, I’ve found they have good selections & are readily accessible.

Some good mom & pop liquor stores have whisky clubs as well

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
There’s plenty of nice bars with a great selection of Japanese whisky. Poke around & see who has what & get your taste on.

You may want to concentrate on nice eateries with good bars, I’ve found they have good selections & are readily accessible.

Some good mom & pop liquor stores have whisky clubs as well
Nice restaurants and bars around here do have good selections. And I was in a local whiskey club with a bunch of buddies. But neither of those have happened much in the last year. Hoping the whiskey club picks up again soon, that was my main way of trying new stuff every month had a different theme, and we did blind tastings and stuff like that.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Nice restaurants and bars around here do have good selections. And I was in a local whiskey club with a bunch of buddies. But neither of those have happened much in the last year. Hoping the whiskey club picks up again soon, that was my main way of trying new stuff every month had a different theme, and we did blind tastings and stuff like that.
IMHO Japanese whisky got too popular & the prices exploded. The Hibiki 12 above used to cost me $45ish. Now the non age statement is $80-150 while the 17yr will run you over $800 in many areas. That’s just insane. It would be worth it to just pay for a dram of the 17 if you see it. I’ll stand by it being an outstanding pour but bit at current prices. The 12 wasn’t far behind the 17 but light years ahead of the new non age statement.

Maybe take a tasting tour of Scotland starting with the Glens & working around the different regions. Mix in Sherry cask to liven things up. Just avoid the heavy Islay pours (there are non-peated Islay though).

Actually a very approachable peated Islay would be Bowmore 15. It’s Sherried so it mellows the smoke & adds a sweet factor. Might be a bit much so save it till the end ;)

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I haven't seen it around here in a while, but Suntory was really good when I had it.