General Breaking: Baltimore MD - Ship collides with Bridge.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019
I have no idea how a ship's black box is supposed to work, but I've seen some of those Air Crash Investigation episodes where aircraft lost power, and the black box stopped recording.

Given that the ship seemingly lost both main and backup power at the same time, thatcould explain the missing data.

Of course even if the missing data can be explained by the power cut, that doesn't rule out some sort of sabotage of the power system. Just saying that it might not be a slam dunk "Oh no the camera pointed at Epstein's cell wasn't working" kind of situation.

Lamont Cranston

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
This is why the rest of the world watches and laughs at Americans
First of all, it's a terrible thing and I hope that the best outcomes for those involved happens.

However, watching Americans mentally process something like this is wild.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
The crew is still on the ship. Also, ships like this cannot be hacked remotely. They don't have a connection. If it was an self induced computer problem that caused the power outage, it would have to be done by someone on board.

The bow of the ship as run aground and is sitting on a gas pipeline.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wim-_Q_59o

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Apparently, the insurance group the ship uses has about $3 billion worth of coverage, but that has to go to other shipping companies that have now been delayed, cleanup, families of the dead, the port, possibly workers who are impacted financially due to the port closing, as well as rebuilding the bridge.

All of that is going to take a very long time to sort out. In the meantime, the US government is footing the bill to get the ball rolling and reopen the port.

Rambo John J

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
The crew is still on the ship. Also, ships like this cannot be hacked remotely. They don't have a connection. If it was an self induced computer problem that caused the power outage, it would have to be done by someone on board.

The bow of the ship as run aground and is sitting on a gas pipeline.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wim-_Q_59o
I am certain it is possible to hack a ship if you have enough resources, might take an inside man to install/alter the systems but I am certain it is possible.

Rambo John J

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Apparently, the insurance group the ship uses has about $3 billion worth of coverage, but that has to go to other shipping companies that have now been delayed, cleanup, families of the dead, the port, possibly workers who are impacted financially due to the port closing, as well as rebuilding the bridge.

All of that is going to take a very long time to sort out. In the meantime, the US government is footing the bill to get the ball rolling and reopen the port.
There were dead that fell from bridge?