General Building a deck with hot tub

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Winter here is -20 average and gets lower than -30 often. Literally forces posts out of the ground
We might hit the teens (Farenheit) 4-5 times per winter and it hardly ever stays that cold for consecutive days. Probably 6 out of the last 7 winters have been really mild too, so I'm not real worried about it. Hell, I probably could have gotten by with 14" deep holes, but I gave it the ole college try. We'll see how it goes.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
We might hit the teens (Farenheit) 4-5 times per winter and it hardly ever stays that cold for consecutive days. Probably 6 out of the last 7 winters have been really mild too, so I'm not real worried about it. Hell, I probably could have gotten by with 14" deep holes, but I gave it the ole college try. We'll see how it goes.
So -6 to -10ish shouldn't be an issue in hard clay especially if you're tied into a deck structure

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I’m going to frame 2 feet around the hot tub so those deck boards can be removed.
Hide those pieces as steps you can remove. If you have them even with the deck but still removable, they'll likely warp over time and become a late night toe-stubber.

The steps will make it easier to get your drunk ass in and out of the hot tub as well.

Looks like a cool project.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Hide those pieces as steps you can remove. If you have them even with the deck but still removable, they'll likely warp over time and become a late night toe-stubber.

The steps will make it easier to get your drunk ass in and out of the hot tub as well.

Looks like a cool project.
That's a really good point. Not sure I want to do steps, but I may need to rethink how I want to provide access to the tub.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
So -6 to -10ish shouldn't be an issue in hard clay especially if you're tied into a deck structure
That's what I'm thinking. We very very rarely dip below zero here. Like maybe once every 3-5 years or some shit. If it gets really cold here, it will be like 17 deg (F) for a day or two, and then back up in the 30's. We haven't had a deep freeze here in several years (makes bugs in the spring and summer a bitch). Hopefully I don't have any issues. Between rock and really hard clay, it just got to the point where I was like fuck this.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
That's what I'm thinking. We very very rarely dip below zero here. Like maybe once every 3-5 years or some shit. If it gets really cold here, it will be like 17 deg (F) for a day or two, and then back up in the 30's. We haven't had a deep freeze here in several years (makes bugs in the spring and summer a bitch). Hopefully I don't have any issues. Between rock and really hard clay, it just got to the point where I was like fuck this.
They'll be fine

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Yeah fuck that shit.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Rent a two man and talk a friend into helping. One man won’t touch that shit.
Any chance the cutting blade on the one you rented was worn? Usually a one man will dig 8” holes in clay without a problem (unless there are decent sized rocks also).

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I was just messing with Wild @Wild

It is a great machine...Has all the attachments
Augers
Tight access tyres
Trenchers
Buckets
Ripper

Makes hard work easy
Used to run one daily
amazing machine
saved so much hard labor with a trenching shovel and normal shovel

We did mostly trenching, but some bucket work

a fucking guy ran over my foot once, luckily my foot took it well

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Any chance the cutting blade on the one you rented was worn? Usually a one man will dig 8” holes in clay without a problem (unless there are decent sized rocks also).
It's possible because it didn't go thru the clay worth a shit.

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
Seems excessive. Why not buy a $350 tub from Walmart, blow it up, and put it in your garage? Easy to do with free unemployment money

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
Did you apply for the proper zoning permits? Karen down at the city hall wants to know.