Can I start an awesome guitar thread?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Jesus Christ.
When you don't have a banjo, just call up Billy Strings.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJzz-Nuo-QQ
Hey Wild @Wild
Just saw that this dude is gonna be in Louisville @ The Mellwood Tavern on May 22. Small venue. $10. I highly suggest checking him out - one of the best guitarists out there right now.

Edit
Just checked the dates.
He's actually doing 3 dates in a row at Louisville on 5/21, 5/22 and 5/23 at Great Lawn in Waterfront Park.
He must be doing The Mellwood Tavern on 5/22 as a "keep me busy" gig. Dude is an animal.

Edit 2
Never mind. All the shows are SOLD OUT.

Last edited:

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I'd never de-constructed this song.
Very interesting/ puzzling:

View: https://youtu.be/ZnRxTW8GxT8
Funny story (not that funny) about that song. When I was in high school I worked in a produce department and at the grocery store they had like 2 dozen songs on a forever loop. This song was one of them. I remember that every time I'd hear it I'd think to myself "This song has so many changes, that it's displeasing to listen to." Knowing now (from that video) that it was written by session musicians makes a LOT of sense. Those motherfuckers live in a different galaxy than the rest of us.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
20210207_195002.jpg
2015 American Deluxe HSH. I like the neck humbucker, nice and throaty.
She has muscle for metal and that 007 theme Strat sound. The locking tuners are the tits, and string changes are fast.
I love the way this guitar plays.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
no doubt. Different levels to this shit haha

I wish I could be 25% as good as some of those solid session players. But here I am, still hacking my way around the fretboard ??‍♂
If I'm looking at a new pedal or something I'll try to find some YouTube clips and there's one dude name R.J. Ronquillo. He's a Nashville session guitarist and, well, fuck that guy, that's what.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
If I'm looking at a new pedal or something I'll try to find some YouTube clips and there's one dude name R.J. Ronquillo. He's a Nashville session guitarist and, well, fuck that guy, that's what.
I think I know (sort of) who your talking about, but I’m gonna look that dude up on YouTube and see.

My bro used to play music with a guy who eventually moved away to do session work in Nashville. He was incredible, a walking library and encyclopedia of music. People would call out songs at random, and he just be like “yeah, I think I can play and sing that”. And he could do it on guitar, piano, trumpet, trombone, clarinet, etc.

It was awesome to watch the couple years I knew that guy, but fuck does it piss me off haha. Music doesn’t come easy or natural to me, I gotta work at it - so that’s what I’ll keep doing I guess!

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I think I know (sort of) who your talking about, but I’m gonna look that dude up on YouTube and see.

My bro used to play music with a guy who eventually moved away to do session work in Nashville. He was incredible, a walking library and encyclopedia of music. People would call out songs at random, and he just be like “yeah, I think I can play and sing that”. And he could do it on guitar, piano, trumpet, trombone, clarinet, etc.

It was awesome to watch the couple years I knew that guy, but fuck does it piss me off haha. Music doesn’t come easy or natural to me, I gotta work at it - so that’s what I’ll keep doing I guess!
Here's just some random video, I haven't even watched it, lol.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhxtRQGjfcA

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
This is fucking ridiculous
I can't figure out how he's getting the harmonics at 2:20. I'm assuming pinched on the G string as that appears to be the only string not fretted. So flawless.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKbrycmEGjU&ab_channel=mikedawesofficial
I think he is doing artificial harmonics there, some also call it “harp harmonics”. You can do them all over no matter where you’re fretted. They’re really fucking hard to do clean (from what I understand, I can’t do them). But instead of being limited to the 5, 7, 12 - you can play anywhere you want on the fretboard with these harmonics.

Lenny Breau was a master at it, he would play whole solos in harp harmonics. I knew a guy in college working on a masters in classical guitar and he had to learn these. Took him ages to get them sounding clean, especially on nylon strings. And he was really good. So far, those harmonics are out of my pay grade ?

Last edited:

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I think he is doing artificial harmonics there, some also call it “harp harmonics”. You can do them all over no matter where you’re fretted. They’re really fucking hard to do clean (from what I understand, I can’t do them). But instead of being limited to the 5, 7, 12 - you can play anywhere you want on the fretboard with these harmonics.

Lenny Breau was a master at it, he would play whole solos in harp harmonics. I knew a guy in college working on a masters in classical guitar and he had to learn these. Took him ages to get them sounding clean, especially on nylon strings. And he was really good. So far, those harmonics are out of my pay grade ?
Shit. You're right. I see it now. Right hand only, using his index and middle 2 fingers to make the harmonic.
So much going on there.