Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva to headline Bellator PPV at MSG

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
I agree, but a lot of the more casual folk out there probably don't. Bellator will need at least some of them to buy the ppv to get a respectable number of buys, so I think they might need to lower the price a little.If they can build their own brand a bit more then they can maybe up the price in future.
Yeah, but they're also not doing a ppv every month. So it's not unreasonable to ask full price. The other reason to keep it full price would be to fight the perception that they're less than the UFC. They can't devalue themselves, and having a low price point would be like subtley implying that they are less.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015

Silva by sloppy guiilletine choke that makes Sonnen panic-tap without TRT. Again.

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Yeah, but they're also not doing a ppv every month. So it's not unreasonable to ask full price. The other reason to keep it full price would be to fight the perception that they're less than the UFC. They can't devalue themselves, and having a low price point would be like subtley implying that they are less.
I mostly agree with that statement. It's a little weird with the MMA marketing situation and how Bellator presents themselves. Usually, I'd say undercut the shit out of them! Best way to snatch up market share in higher margin industries. But Bellator doesn't present itself as something different or better than the UFC. They do everything they can to look and feel exactly like the UFC (which I think is a terrible, terrible mistake). So if they undercut them they'd just come off as a cheapo version of the UFC.

I would slice $10 off just to make fans happy and not cut too deep to avoid the devaluing factor u mentioned.

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
They do everything they can to look and feel exactly like the UFC (which I think is a terrible, terrible mistake).
I don't agree with that at all- give a few examples. What is it they're doing that you feel is copying the UFC...?

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I don't agree with that at all- give a few examples. What is it they're doing that you feel is copying the UFC...?
  • No tournies
  • No ring
  • Not focused on martial arts - more focused on the gym rat/athlete celeb thing.
  • Stupid, low end hip hop music before fights and between rounds.
  • Their big pushes are mostly UFC legends or UFC free agents
Only the walk outs are really not UFC-like.

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
  • No tournies
  • No ring
  • Not focused on martial arts - more focused on the gym rat/athlete celeb thing.
  • Stupid, low end hip hop music before fights and between rounds.
  • Their big pushes are mostly UFC legends or UFC free agents
Only the walk outs are really not UFC-like.
No tournies-

Coker just did away with doing so many tournies- he already put on the 1 night, 4 man LHW tourney, loaned out King Mo for 2 HW Grand Prix's in Rizin, and said he's open to holding them in the future. He list the HW tourney he did in Strikeforce as one of his proudest moments with the company, and I would guess that they'll hold another to crown a new Bellator HW champ in the future.

No ring-

They've never had a ring (though they put one next to the cage for their Dynamite events- Bellator Kickboxing being something else they do different). They're cage is circular, with no corners like the UFC's octagon.

Not focused on martial arts - more focused on the gym rat/athlete celeb thing-

Need some examples here- looking at both companies, I see nothing but martial artist (even Sage Northcutt isn't just a gym rat/athlete celeb)

Stupid, low end hip hop music before fights and between rounds-

I'd say they use rock music more than anything, at least for the televised fights. I've only been to one UFC and one Bellator event live, so I couldn't say what they play in the arena.

Their big pushes are mostly UFC legends or UFC free agents-

Lima,MVP, Koreshkov, Pitbull brothers, Straus, Chandler, Daley, Dantas, Caldwell, King Mo, McGeary..... all get significant screen time/ 'pushes'. Ruth, Pico, Fortune, Cotton, Joey Davis, Gallagher, Danis, Trice, Lovato Jr., etc all will in the future.

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
No tournies-

Coker just did away with doing so many tournies- he already put on the 1 night, 4 man LHW tourney, loaned out King Mo for 2 HW Grand Prix's in Rizin, and said he's open to holding them in the future. He list the HW tourney he did in Strikeforce as one of his proudest moments with the company, and I would guess that they'll hold another to crown a new Bellator HW champ in the future.

No ring-

They've never had a ring (though they put one next to the cage for their Dynamite events- Bellator Kickboxing being something else they do different). They're cage is circular, with no corners like the UFC's octagon.

Not focused on martial arts - more focused on the gym rat/athlete celeb thing-

Need some examples here- looking at both companies, I see nothing but martial artist (even Sage Northcutt isn't just a gym rat/athlete celeb)

Stupid, low end hip hop music before fights and between rounds-

I'd say they use rock music more than anything, at least for the televised fights. I've only been to one UFC and one Bellator event live, so I couldn't say what they play in the arena.

Their big pushes are mostly UFC legends or UFC free agents-

Lima,MVP, Koreshkov, Pitbull brothers, Straus, Chandler, Daley, Dantas, Caldwell, King Mo, McGeary..... all get significant screen time/ 'pushes'. Ruth, Pico, Fortune, Cotton, Joey Davis, Gallagher, Danis, Trice, Lovato Jr., etc all will in the future.
I definitely forgot the tourney but I'd prefer a focus on them. I am actually against having belts in MMA and feel champions should be crowned each year with a tournament.

TheEmperorRises

Dec 4, 2015
I definitely forgot the tourney but I'd prefer a focus on them. I am actually against having belts in MMA and feel champions should be crowned each year with a tournament.
That actually wouldn't be bad, but they're so ingrained by this point it would be really difficult to change.

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
That actually wouldn't be bad, but they're so ingrained by this point it would be really difficult to change.
I think Bellator had a chance to go with that but dropped the ball and then Scott has mostly moved away from that I think because everything associated with Bjork ended up with a bad smell to it...

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
"I'm a man, I have two balls. He has two balls. Let's do this"
Wanderlei Silva