Connecticut school apologizes for ‘Hitler’ football play

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
GREENWICH, Conn. (AP) — The headmaster of a Connecticut high school has apologized after its football team named one of its plays “Hitler.”

Chris Winters, of Greenwich High School , issued the apology Friday. He called the designation inappropriate and offensive and said the practice has been stopped.

A mother from the town of Trumbull told the Connecticut Post her son’s freshman football team was playing Greenwich on Thursday when the players charged onto the field shouting “Hitler.” The newspaper reported the signal for the play was an index finger laid across the upper lip.

Debbie Levison told the newspaper her son was angry when he came off the field and told her why. When she asked the coach, he confirmed that they use a play named “Hitler.”

“My grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins perished at the hands of Hitler,” Levison said Friday. “My father and mother suffered unspeakable atrocities during the Holocaust. So yes, I’m outraged.”

The newspaper reported the play had been in use for years. Levison said she could not understand how other adults had never intervened.

The football team and coaches met Friday with the Connecticut Anti-Defamation League to make sure they understand why it was offensive. Steve Ginsburg, executive director of the group, said he viewed it as a time when education was needed.

“There was a lack of understanding. This is not a situation where there was any intent to intimidate, or anti-Semitism or anything like that,” he said.

Levison said the principal and athletic director personally called her to apologize, and they seemed sincere.

“I think this is symptomatic of the general blurring of lines in our country of what is right and what is wrong,” she said.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
when the players charged onto the field shouting “Hitler.” The newspaper reported the signal for the play was an index finger laid across the upper lip.
Sorry, that is pretty funny.

That woman seemed to handle it well. Considering her family was killed by Hitler, I think she has a legitimate point. And saying that the apology seemed genuine shows understanding. Often in stories where people are offended, they refuse to accept an apology and want more attention.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
In high school we always made it a point to scream "pilgrims" before games to offend native indians.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
This is just bad taste, somethings you cant explain they are just common sense. When people dont exercise common sense its hard to explain basic things like this to them.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
OK, let's see this through.

Have any of your grandparents passed? If so, what was the cause?
Only my grandfather so far, thankfully. Heart attack. I could also add that he volunteered for service in Finland against the soviets and in Norway against nazi Germany. Cost him a name and a lot of land. Maybe I should skin his tattoo because I should be offended? But yeah, let's follow this through.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
This is just bad taste, somethings you cant explain they are just common sense. When people dont exercise common sense its hard to explain basic things like this to them.
Common sense is using an easily remembered name and sign for a play.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Only my grandfather so far, thankfully. Heart attack. I could also add that he volunteered for service in Finland against the soviets and in Norway against nazi Germany. Cost him a name and a lot of land. Maybe I should skin his tattoo because I should be offended? But yeah, let's follow this through.
Ok, well let's pretend your other grandparents die from heart attacks. And other members of your family. Heart attacks plagued your family.

You don't think it would be offensive if your sports team named your move "cardiac arrest"?

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Ok, well let's pretend your other grandparents die from heart attacks. And other members of your family. Heart attacks plagued your family.

You don't think it would be offensive if your sports team named your move "cardiac arrest"?
And now replace "cardiac arrest" with being gassed for the way they were born, for the full impact of the point

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

I honestly wouldn't and my dad died of a heart attack as well. Guess I'm with carlin on this one. Would you get offended if your team had a play called the gook using the slanty eye thing as the sign?

over half your posts are in bad taste!!!! Wtf?