General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
So the vaccine plan, without Texas screwing it all up by going against the plan, is 5 months to finish phase 1.
That's old people and essential workers basically.

That puts at May 2021 for 85 million vaccinations done. We'll assume roll outs happen faster as time goes on and we do another 100 million 4 months after that. September 2021. 185+ million vaccinated and another portion already infected and recovered with some level of partial immunity for some period of time.
That should be enough to really be back to things domestically, right?

Now the rest of the world...

I will go on record saying I think it's screwed up that Texas is choosing to put at home old people higher up than people that have to work and be exposed to the undifferentiated public, all while providing no significant support for those industries or employees.

From the CDC summary on guidance:

It's about 9-10% after the age of 45. Turns out Americans have a lot of comorbidities with all that obesity. Hospitalization is up in the older crowd but deaths aren't. Those that are gonna die probably got that heart disease much earlier in life it looks like.

So we are lowering priority of 50 year old meat plant workers, grocery workers, etc. who are more likely to be uninsured, to be exposed, and nearly as likely to die, to be behind medicare insured older people that have retirement and the ability to stay home without financial ruin.

We chose straight death/hospitalization rate without any consideration of ability outside of that.
We keep wanting to open back up and are killing the people we depend on to open us up!

#teamessentialworkers

Turns out that we have screwed up the vaccine rollout with no plan to target these workers that the CDC is giving up and just saying 65+

This is not the most efficient use of this vaccine in the sense of getting the economy back open, but will stop the wasted vaccine chain. We have only rolled out 1/3 of the vaccines on hand.

This highlights one of the largest problems with our distributed and completely nonstandard medical system. We are rolling this vaccine out in the same way as the flu vaccine. Hand a few vials to hospitals, docs, pharmacies. Then do it again.

I have a clinic. We vaccinated all of us and staff as CDC and others agreed. Then we started targeting patients. The issue is that I have no idea who is a cop, a meat packer, etc. The federal government needed to coordinate with these industries to vaccinate them to keep society going. There was no plan.

So we do the only logistical thing we can -- check a drivers license.

M

member 3289

Turns out that we have screwed up the vaccine rollout with no plan to target these workers that the CDC is giving up and just saying 65+

This is not the most efficient use of this vaccine in the sense of getting the economy back open, but will stop the wasted vaccine chain. We have only rolled out 1/3 of the vaccines on hand.

This highlights one of the largest problems with our distributed and completely nonstandard medical system. We are rolling this vaccine out in the same way as the flu vaccine. Hand a few vials to hospitals, docs, pharmacies. Then do it again.

I have a clinic. We vaccinated all of us and staff as CDC and others agreed. Then we started targeting patients. The issue is that I have no idea who is a cop, a meat packer, etc. The federal government needed to coordinate with these industries to vaccinate them to keep society going. There was no plan.

So we do the only logistical thing we can -- check a drivers license.
We're giving vaccines to ANYONE 65 and older. You don't have to be a Florida resident or even a U.S. Citizen, so you have people flying in from other countries, getting vaccinated, and then flying back to their home countries after 21 days.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
We're giving vaccines to ANYONE 65 and older. You don't have to be a Florida resident or even a U.S. Citizen, so you have people flying in from other countries, getting vaccinated, and then flying back to their home countries after 21 days.
lmao holy crap
First your russian birth tourism abuse and now this.

I heard Florida is trying to roll it out through churches, is that happening down there?

M

member 3289

I heard Florida is trying to roll it out through churches, is that happening down there?
It happened at a church in North Miami that I read about. In my county (Broward) they are doing them at public parks, hospitals, or places like Cleveland/Mayo Clinic.

It has been an absolute clusterfuck from the get-go. Governor DeSantis prioritized seniors 65 and older despite the fact that we don't have enough doses to vaccinate all of our millions of seniors.

In the largest counties, websites and phone systems have crashed. In Broward (2nd largest), the website has worked for maybe a few hours over the past two weeks. The county is currently out of (reserved) vaccines but says they'll start booking appointments again when they get more.

In Palm Beach County (3rd largest) there's no website but their phone system crashed because the health department "didn't know so many people would call" lol. They are now taking appointments BY EMAIL ONLY. Not even joking. You have to email them your identifying information to maybe get an appointment.

It happened at a church in North Miami that I read about. In my county (Broward) they are doing them at public parks, hospitals, or places like Cleveland/Mayo Clinic.

It has been an absolute clusterfuck from the get-go. Governor DeSantis prioritized seniors 65 and older despite the fact that we don't have enough doses to vaccinate all of our millions of seniors.

In the largest counties, websites and phone systems have crashed. In Broward (2nd largest), the website has worked for maybe a few hours over the past two weeks. The county is currently out of (reserved) vaccines but says they'll start booking appointments again when they get more.

In Palm Beach County (3rd largest) there's no website but their phone system crashed because the health department "didn't know so many people would call" lol. They are now taking appointments BY EMAIL ONLY. Not even joking. You have to email them your identifying information to maybe get an appointment.
Damn, well thank you for the updates brother.