General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Experts say that measures put in place to fend off the coronavirus — mask wearing, social distancing and virtual schooling — were a big factor in preventing a “twindemic” of flu and COVID-19. A push to get more people vaccinated against flu probably helped, too, as did fewer people traveling, they say.
Sheepdog @Maycee Barber Fan is gonna be pissed.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Fucking scumbags. Wish they tried that shit on some practioners of the "Religion Of Peace"...

Also this...

So this fuck has said no kids back in school while taking his own kid to private school. Hope he burns in hell...

View: https://twitter.com/GuerillaMomz/status/1365830556366237702
all those people packed on that plane, and the baby is the vector?
morons.

but the anger towards the guy taking his kid to a private school on weekends is misdirected, unless you know the situation at the private school

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
but the anger towards the guy taking his kid to a private school on weekends is misdirected, unless you know the situation at the private school
I don't disagree that we don't know the whole story, but the optics are horrendous and that's really the problem. A public figure should be aware of that.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I don't disagree that we don't know the whole story, but the optics are horrendous and that's really the problem. A public figure should be aware of that.
yes, but the optics of being the teachers' union president and sending your kids to private school should be bad enough.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
I have a coworker that’s married to a teacher. She won’t come back to teach but they sent their high school kids to a private school. Kids haven’t missed a day of the 20-21 school year.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I have a coworker that’s married to a teacher. She won’t come back to teach but they sent their high school kids to a private school. Kids haven’t missed a day of the 20-21 school year.
The teacher's union here has worked 2, maybe 3, of the last 12 months. They say teaching in class is too dangerous and that they need to teach online. But now that vaccines are about to be given out to essential workers they're demanding to be declared essential because they need to keep the schools open. Oh, the teachers also complained non stop the entire time they were doing online school because the kids don't pay attention so it's a waste of time, as if it's the kids' fault the teacher's are bad at their jobs.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
The teacher's union here has worked 2, maybe 3, of the last 12 months. They say teaching in class is too dangerous and that they need to teach online. But now that vaccines are about to be given out to essential workers they're demanding to be declared essential because they need to keep the schools open. Oh, the teachers also complained non stop the entire time they were doing online school because the kids don't pay attention so it's a waste of time, as if it's the kids' fault the teacher's are bad at their jobs.
according to the Teachers' Union, the solution to the pandemic is to give them everything they want.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
according to the Teachers' Union, the solution to the pandemic is to give them everything they want.
To be fair, that's their solution to everything. "We need everything and if you think we don't deserve any of it it's because you hate KIDS!!!!!" One can't help but almost admire their consistency.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Splinty @Splinty - percent agree?

Your Local Epidemiologist Update:

Throughout this pandemic, science (and particularly public health) has been politicized. I don’t fully understand why, but it has and was highlighted yesterday by Abbott’s decision. In short, there’s a battle between individual freedom and population health.
This morning a friend posted their argument for supporting Abbott’s decision. Their statements are in quotations, and my epidemiological perspective follows...
1. “Greg Abbott doesn’t control your life”.
You’re (kind of) right. As a leader he sets a precedent and tone. And the tone he is setting completely undermines scientists, doctors, nurses, and public health workers that have literally thrown themselves at this pandemic to help you. So, no he doesn’t control our life, but he certainly isn’t making it easier.

2. “If you don’t feel comfortable not wearing a mask in public then don’t; wear one”.
Masks DO protect the wearer (especially an N95) but not as much as they protect the people around the wearer. So, when a masked person stands in line behind an unmasked person, they aren’t fully protected (they could still get the virus). The masked person IS helping the unmasked person though (you’re welcome). Masks only work best when everyone is wearing one.
3. “Don’t feel comfortable sitting in a dinning room at a restaurant that is at full capacity take it Togo”.
What about the servers? Or hostesses? Or cooks? Or restaurant managers? Full capacity directly impacts their risk (even if they continue to wear a mask. see #2). So, is this argument telling them to quit? Or worse, forcing them to decide between an income and health? Also, only 7.1% of the Texas population is fully vaccinated and only 1b is eligible. So even if servers wanted to fully protect themselves, they haven’t had the opportunity to. In addition to restaurant workers, I’m looking at the teachers and the grocery store workers and gas station attendants (just to name a few).

4. “If you don’t feel comfortable going out, things have adapted to get you what you need without leaving your house.”
I don’t have a scientific argument for selfishness.

5. “We are all adults we can make our own decisions that is best for us and our families. No one is stopping you from protecting yourself.”
Viruses actually don’t work like this. The most threatening thing right now is mutations. The more this thing jumps from person to person (yes, even if you’re asymptomatic) the more opportunity it has to mutate. The more it mutates, the more likely the virus can outsmart our vaccines. So, yes, we can make our own decisions. But your decision to let the virus jump from person to person actually does “stop us from protecting ourselves”.

Bottom line: The virus couldn’t care less of this individualistic approach. In fact, it gives the virus an advantage. In order to successfully combat an infectious disease, we all have to be on the same team.

Some colleagues of mine at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center found that Dallas could reach local herd immunity by June. I have no reason to believe that Dallas is different than any other city or town in Texas. WE ARE/WERE SO CLOSE. But we are tripping before the finish line. This decision likely pushes the end date further.
Love, YLE
For data sources, see my newsletter

Last edited:

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Wouldn't local regulations still be in place?
I was a bit surprised to hear that the mask requirement was dropped. Seems a bit premature considering we are only 6-7% vaccinated (among other reasons). I can only speak for what I am hearing in Austin, but the school districts have already reached out to families to assure that masks are still required, and all covid practices will remain the same for the time being. I believe local businesses can still enforce mask wearing if they chose to do so. At lease here in Austin, I think most places will continue doing what they have been doing. But get ready for more social media videos where someone is having a tantrum for being asked to leave a store because of not wearing a mask. I went to the grocery store this morning, and everyone I saw was still wearing their masks and distancing.

The governors actions throughout the pandemic have been questionable, and this is just another example.

Believe me, I'm ready to go back to not wearing a mask also....but I'm not sure we are there yet.

M

member 3289

Grateful Dude @Grateful Dude Regardless, I agree it's too early to rescind a mask mandate, but my state never had one to begin with because Ron DeSantis is a retard.

He opened up vaccines to people under 65 who are extremely vulnerable startig today. Said there would be a form their doctors are required to fill out in order to get vaccinated. He then released the form at 11 pm last night, literally the night before this form is required lol. You have people in Bumfuck with scheduled appointments today who have to drive 3 hours to see their doctor.

This is what happens when you elect Trump's choice for governor.