General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
Our hospital system just announced that they will be furloughing a “significant” number of employees for an unclear amount of time due to the pandemic. Expect to hear most other systems in the country do the same thing. Elective procedures are down 70-80%, visits down 40%, and supplies (especially PPE) have suddenly gone up 500% in price.
Sounds to be the case for most hospitals around the US ...not good, not good at all.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
I am expecting the threat of letting him loose to ravage the neighborhood will result in food donations. He throws javelin, so the next step his making him hunt deer with a spear. Track practice and food acquisition simultaneously.
So basically a javelin throwing hungry Zombie let lose on the streets in SC.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Our hospital system just announced that they will be furloughing a “significant” number of employees for an unclear amount of time due to the pandemic. Expect to hear most other systems in the country do the same thing. Elective procedures are down 70-80%, visits down 40%, and supplies (especially PPE) have suddenly gone up 500% in price.
Our staff like cardio rehab are already off. CRNAs are thinking they have a couple weeks before their shifts start getting cut as electives are all on hold.

I'm private so I've got my own budget. My staff is good for 4 weeks hardstop. I don't have to do math for that. Just cut my paycheck to zero and keep moving. But I'll have to run the numbers after that. This was week one. Three to go. I won't be furloughing anyone but might have to cut hours or something if we aren't looking at an uptick in patient visit by week 6. Basically just crank down hours and my paycheck to meet the 2/3 patient load.
On the other hand, telemedicine has been a great boon for me to keep from being zero. And I've got an extensive hospitalist background so I suspect I can locums work as my private practice gets hammered if I needed to. I'd keep my staff going full time priming the pump for the other side of this with those funds. That spin up for hospitalist and intensivisit need should mirror the down time for outpatient visits. Then vice versa as we taper off.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
The way media portrays what's going on, you would think every hospital would be looking to get more people, but obviously that's not the case.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
The way media portrays what's going on, you would think every hospital would be looking to get more people, but obviously that's not the case.
Right- in some specific areas of the country some specific areas of the hospital (ED and ICU) may get overwhelmed. Huge portions of the medical system deal with important but non-urgent/emergent issues, and they are way down in volume. As an example, our referral hospital has stopped doing non-urgent congenital heart surgeries and catheterizations.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Our staff like cardio rehab are already off. CRNAs are thinking they have a couple weeks before their shifts start getting cut as electives are all on hold.

I'm private so I've got my own budget. My staff is good for 4 weeks hardstop. I don't have to do math for that. Just cut my paycheck to zero and keep moving. But I'll have to run the numbers after that. This was week one. Three to go. I won't be furloughing anyone but might have to cut hours or something if we aren't looking at an uptick in patient visit by week 6. Basically just crank down hours and my paycheck to meet the 2/3 patient load.
On the other hand, telemedicine has been a great boon for me to keep from being zero. And I've got an extensive hospitalist background so I suspect I can locums work as my private practice gets hammered if I needed to. I'd keep my staff going full time priming the pump for the other side of this with those funds. That spin up for hospitalist and intensivisit need should mirror the down time for outpatient visits. Then vice versa as we taper off.
They mentioned that most of the furloughs would be non-clinical, but there would be some clinical areas affected. CRNA’s came to mind, but if we get a large number of ventilated COVID patients CRNA’s are going to get real popular

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
but if we get a large number of ventilated COVID patients CRNA’s are going to get real popular
I would think so. The CRNA I was talking to told me that in their discussion groups people are saying they are being turned down for ICU work currently if they haven't been doing critical care. To me that seems silly. They are basically running a controlled code every time they put someone under and they'd be great for extending your limited intensivists

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
So netflix quality has been reduced due to excessive traffic. Does this mean our subscription rates will be lowered to reflect the loss in quality?

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
What the fuck is wrong with people? I loved New Orleans for its "oh well, lets throw a party" attitude but ffs.
It was before there were so many cases here. Was definitely there already and then hundreds of thousands of people came