General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I'd rather die from a pandemic than go to New Jersey.
Only experienced worse driving in the Bay Area than there. Proper dollops. I did a drive from SE Virginia up to Connecticut and as soon as I crossed over the border to NJ everyone drove like a bunch of mentals.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I only heard of the word furlough a couple of days ago. You're one of our front liners, right?
Not really, or at least not yet. I am the chief of Pediatric Cardiology here so my only Coronavirus interaction so far as been administrative and talking to families about the risk to their children with congenital heart disease. I have a good deal of ICU experience from fellowship running the PCICU and some Peds ED experience (I moonlit as a Peds ED attending during fellowship) so in the event that we get overrun in the ICU or ED I can help out there. The biggest issue for most hospital systems (except for a few hot spots) currently is the drastic decrease in patients as everyone tries to stay away from medical settings. Lots of systems are furloughing or laying off a significant number of staff members.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Not really, or at least not yet. I am the chief of Pediatric Cardiology here so my only Coronavirus interaction so far as been administrative and talking to families about the risk to their children with congenital heart disease. I have a good deal of ICU experience from fellowship running the PCICU and some Peds ED experience (I moonlit as a Peds ED attending during fellowship) so in the event that we get overrun in the ICU or ED I can help out there. The biggest issue for most hospital systems (except for a few hot spots) currently is the drastic decrease in patients as everyone tries to stay away from medical settings. Lots of systems are furloughing or laying off a significant number of staff members.
I need to get my head out of the NHS and how that works, I've had to deal with so many medical"companies" in the US in the last year I forget that they're a business and not funded by a government. I'm only paying people who have tried to sue me at the moment.
Did you choose to be a cardiology pediatrician?

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Yes. You chose you own adventure in medicine, unless you aim for a very competitive specialty and do not get selected for the residency/fellowship training.
I admire you for having a goal like working with children and achieving it. Takes a special sort of person.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015

Well, well, well....another big surprise!

"New research suggests that face masks may offer more protection against coronavirus infection than previously thought. It suggests that coughs and sneezes may be projected much further than had been thought. The World Health Organisation is considering whether to update its guidance on face masks and the White House may recommend that Americans wear them."

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Well, well, well....another big surprise!

"New research suggests that face masks may offer more protection against coronavirus infection than previously thought. It suggests that coughs and sneezes may be projected much further than had been thought. The World Health Organisation is considering whether to update its guidance on face masks and the White House may recommend that Americans wear them."

Is that saying people with Coronavirus should wear them?

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Seems that way.
Our system just mandated that all staff will wear masks (as long as supplies last) to decrease the chances of staff spreading asymptomatic infections to patients or other staff. I forgot how annoying it is to try to have a long conversation on while wearing a masks. There is a reason I was quiet in the cath lab and OR.

M

member 603

Okay, you're allowed to go to Jersey with Robbie, Rhino and Nut Hugger. Just in separate cars because social distancing.
Why in the blue hell would I want to go to Jersey??? I'd get in a boat in Philly, and take the Atlantic Ocean to NYC rather than drive through that shit hole state

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
It's about more countries are considering wearing masks outside regardless of your condition, that a sneeze may cover an 8m distance. That we should learn from Asian cultures, etc. Slowly people are catching on. With mass testing this would help our healthcare workers a great deal. Czech Republic has a mandatory mask order I believe.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Seems that way.
Our system just mandated that all staff will wear masks (as long as supplies last) to decrease the chances of staff spreading asymptomatic infections to patients or other staff. I forgot how annoying it is to try to have a long conversation on while wearing a masks. There is a reason I was quiet in the cath lab and OR.
That's really good to hear. Thank you for sharing what you guys are doing since there doesn't seem to be nationwide guidance here.
I'm 100% masked in all patient care. And yes I find myself sometimes having to take a really deep breath because I feel like I'm suffocating.
My OR masks are more comfortable but these (yellow ones over the ears) are cheaper.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Everyone shitting on NJ, i have been there and passed through a million times. It's just like any other state on the East Coast. No worse, certainly no better but no worse than the worst parts of CT, MA, NY etc. And there are nice parts too.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Anyone filing for unemployment, it's arduous but seems to be rolling along. Husband had to upload his CV and our bank account statements etc but it seems like in a couple of months we might be getting $450 a week.

Again, not looking for a handout, he's paid so much in tax in this country it's times like these where you deserve it. Breaking my heart that such a stoic person has to do it.