General Dave Chapelle (Sticks and Stones)

Discussion in 'The Off-topic Lounge' started by Miesha's Taint, Aug 27, 2019.

1. The Koala Bear Jew

The Koala Bear Jew Posting Machine

Ratings:
    +26,380
    I turned it off. It sucks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Miesha's Taint

Miesha's Taint SONG YA DONG

Ratings:
    +66,357
  3. The Koala Bear Jew

Ratings:
    +26,380
  4. Miesha's Taint

Miesha's Taint SONG YA DONG

Ratings:
    +66,357

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. KWingJitsu

KWingJitsu ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?

Ratings:
    +12,866
    Does this sum it up, or nah?

[​IMG]

6. b00ts

b00ts Coonass
    Amateur Fighter

Ratings:
    +8,679
    You literally have to be a contrarian dickhead in any thread about movies or TV it seems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CreativeClassMauler

CreativeClassMauler Dressed for Success

Ratings:
    +7,746
    You'll get over it, sweetheart. I pointed out that Chapelle is recycling the same jokes he's been doing for 20 years. And other parts of the special were just dedicated to responding to controversies from his last special. He's drumming up these controversies in a cynical (and very successful) attempt to get headlines, but the worse part is he's too lazy to even bother drumming up new ones. Just because this unpleasant truth causes your brain to go into cognitive dissonance mode, doesn't mean it isn't true.

It's just a blatant cash grab from morons who can't see through it. If you want to be one of those morons, be my guest. But I'm actually trying to help the idiots of the world by pointing out when they're getting scammed. But of course, it's easier to scam people than convince them that they've been scammed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Galt

Galt ໝາກສີດາ
    First 100

Ratings:
    +33,598
    You’re a butcher?

9. Jesus X

Jesus X my tools

Ratings:
    +22,652
    the standards and practices joke was smart. the ohio ,guns and heroin jokes were also good.the jussie smollet joke was good too. him yelling big meanie repeatedly was funny.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jesus X

Jesus X my tools

Ratings:
    +22,652
    the alphabet people

11. Jesus X

Jesus X my tools

Ratings:
    +22,652
    it was funny that he tied the kanye west maga hat to jussie smollet

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The Koala Bear Jew

Ratings:
    +26,380
    I dont know. What does that picture mean

13. Kneeblock

Kneeblock Jumbo shrimp

Ratings:
    +18,304
    You clearly didn't watch the special. And this "lazy" line is literally plucked from an op-ed by Ernest Owens 2 years ago that has been endlessly trotted out as the default adjective to describe Dave among a certain segment of the blogosphere and twitterati.

I thought this special was a masterpiece, maybe one of the best I've ever seen, and the material was very finely tuned, even when he mixed in improv. There were a couple misses, but it was pretty clear that this was painstakingly crafted and workshopped in clubs over time. Dave works in a frame that can sound the same, but really never is. I can understand not liking it because it was calibrated to polarize, but to call it lazy or recycled is an insult to the craft.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • WTF x 1
  14. Meth Dentist

Meth Dentist I’ll fight anyone on here except Sex Chicken

Ratings:
    +6,150

twitterati
    A combination of twit (an insignificant, bothersome person) and glitterati (social elites). The twitterati is a group of gay men that are not important, but think they are. Members of the twitterati are usually pretentious and preppy, well-groomedand snotty. Depending on where you live and what social class they are trying to attain, members of the twitterati will either bore you with the latest news on Paris Hilton and Britney Spears or go on and on about their up-and-coming career in opera or their plans to have a penthouse in Manhattan.

Can be used collectively, or to address individual members within a twitterati group as a whole.
    Those idiots think they got class, but really they are just some fugly little twitterati.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. The Koala Bear Jew

Ratings:
    +26,380
    I couldn’t get into it I blame communism and da juice

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Kneeblock

Kneeblock Jumbo shrimp

Ratings:
    +18,304
    Understandable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Koala Bear Jew

Ratings:
    +26,380
    I quit drinking and my best friend passed on

I was hoping it would cheer me up but it didnt

• Friendly Friendly x 7
  18. Kneeblock

Kneeblock Jumbo shrimp

Ratings:
    +18,304
    Sorry for your loss man.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Meth Dentist

Meth Dentist I’ll fight anyone on here except Sex Chicken

Ratings:
    +6,150
    I would rather watch Hannah Gadsby do play by play on a 90yr old woman knitting a sock

20. CreativeClassMauler

Ratings:
    +7,746
    Haha. I've never heard of some cunt called Ernest Owens nor have I ever read anything criticizing Dave that wasn't some shrill nonsense about him being offensive. Almost everything I've ever read about him has been gagging on his nuts. If more than one person is calling his material lazy, it's because that's exactly what it is.

How the fuck else would you describe doing the same joke in your stand up and your TV shows for 20 years? If this was a comedian you didn't like trying to pull that shit, you'd be right there with me calling it out and the non-delusional part of your brain knows it.

I should be pre-disposed to being a Chappelle nuthugger myself. I loved his early stand up, Chappelle Show, hell even Half-Baked and most non-stoners shit on that film. But it doesn't matter how much I like someone, if they start serving me shit sandwiches I don't just eat them and ask for seconds.

21. Kneeblock

Kneeblock Jumbo shrimp

Ratings:
    +18,304
    You should watch the whole special, not the clips. The thing about it is it's meant to be consumed as a whole piece. I'd say this material was in a similar frame as Dave has used before, and all comics have their frame, but the cadence, the timing, and even the content were a pretty substantial departure from what he's done in the past. This one is miles apart even from the last two, the first of which, Equanimity, I think falls into your description of feeling played out and recycled.

Owens was the first to apply the word "lazy," which, the way he used it, is a writerly term that refers to the way people take shortcuts in descriptions or character development. It was a way to critique the preparation rather than the performance. Once he said it, others started using it, even though using it in this context is practically something you'd only hear someone say in an MFA program. It contaminated the blogs and Twitter and now it's become the lazy way of critiquing Chappelle.

22. The Koala Bear Jew

Ratings:
    +26,380
    I’ll have to give it another try

I only watched 15 minutes

Is it about how gr8 Marx is? Is dat y you love it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Kneeblock

Kneeblock Jumbo shrimp

Ratings:
    +18,304
    Nah, when I want that, I watch Trudeau.

24. CreativeClassMauler

Ratings:
    +7,746
    If you can't see that literally making the same jokes and talking about the exact same topics special after special isn't lazy, then it's beyond hopeless to convince you otherwise. It's the definition of lazy. You're right about the the shows being carefully calibrated but not in the way you think. He's worked out how to generate headlines on the same topics.

January 2, 2018:

Dave Chappelle Defends Louis C.K. in Netflix Special | National Review

August 27 2019:

Dave Chappelle defends Michael Jackson, Louis C.K. in new special

Here's some evidence of him being the bitter, jealous, insecure, validation obsessed, pussy diva that he's become. I mean, Chappelle Show was great, but he thinks he invented sketch comedy?

Dave Chappelle Explains Key and Peele Criticism, Compares Chappelle Show to a Crazy Ex in New Interview

It may hurt to come to the realization that your hero has turned into a charlatan, a crybaby bitch and a hack, but it's better to rip that band-aid off than go through life being a fucking rube.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. SoupCan

SoupCan First 100
    First 100

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Lordofthepies is trans, splains his hate for Dave

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted