Easy foods for camping trip?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Depends if you care about weight and space or not (if you also hike and whatnot). What is small and well handable..

A fat salami is great to give you good energy on little space/weight, and fill you up, without the need to cook anything. You could take some bread and cheese with it as well for a proper meal.
Soups in bags where you get and cook the water there are perfect in case of weight, and you still got a warm meal.
Bananas are good if you can transport them without squashing em.

And dunno, go from there.
Of course beans and stuff are the go-to meal, but do you want to carry full cans (that do not contain beer)?

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
If you are car camping, bring a grill (you can get a portable gas or charcoal grill pretty cheap, and most campsites have charcoal grills avalible there already). Just bring stuff you like to grill and eat like you were grilling in your backyard- brats, hamburgers, steak etc. No need to get real creative if you have easy access to your cooler and water. Don't ruin the trip by trying out backpacking meals designed to be low weight and not need special storage- especially if you have someone coming with you who is new to camping or not a real big fan of camping.

Royce Nelson

Iron sharpens something
Dec 31, 2015
Of course beans and stuff are the go-to meal, but do you want to carry full cans (that do not contain beer)?
Depends if you care about weight and space or not (if you also hike and whatnot). What is small and well handable..

A fat salami is great to give you good energy on little space/weight, and fill you up, without the need to cook anything. You could take some bread and cheese with it as well for a proper meal.
Soups in bags where you get and cook the water there are perfect in case of weight, and you still got a warm meal.
Bananas are good if you can transport them without squashing em.

And dunno, go from there.
Yeah there will be lots of beer. Just hanging out with some college buddies and gonna be bullshitting all weekend. Thanks for the recommendations.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Yeah there will be lots of beer. Just hanging out with some college buddies and gonna be bullshitting all weekend. Thanks for the recommendations.
You should not think of this as camping, think of it as tailgating with no need to sober up to drive home after the game. Bring drunk party food. Have a blast.

Royce Nelson

Iron sharpens something
Dec 31, 2015
If you are car camping, bring a grill (you can get a portable gas or charcoal grill pretty cheap, and most campsites have charcoal grills avalible there already). Just bring stuff you like to grill and eat like you were grilling in your backyard- brats, hamburgers, steak etc. No need to get real creative if you have easy access to your cooler and water. Don't ruin the trip by trying out backpacking meals designed to be low weight and not need special storage- especially if you have someone coming with you who is new to camping or not a real big fan of camping.
Thanks man. This is perfect.
You should not think of this as camping, think of it as tailgating with no need to sober up to drive home after the game. Bring drunk party food. Have a blast.
Yeah as you can tell I'm not a expert on this stuff. Lol

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Yeah well, wrong direction, if its car camping, just bring whatever you want. :D

Grilling should be the way to go. And beans or meals containing beans to cook in a big pot on the fire, that just seems like a must.

TalkingLeaf

Nov 4, 2015
Are there bears where you'll be camping? If not, bring hotdogs, steaks, and/or hamburgers. They are easy to cook. Bags of chips. Cooler with toppings and whatnot.

If you are really lazy, take a pot to boil water and buy some of those pre-packaged backcountry dried meals. They've come a long way in the taste department since over the years. Just add water and presto, you got a meal. If you have low standards, oodles and noodles does the trick. Even instant mashed potatoes, the kind that just needs water added can be "good".

Soups can be easy as well. Beef stew and whatnot. Peanut butter and jelly, or some form of sandwich is good for when you don't feel like cooking.

If there are bears I would avoid anything like burgers and steak that drip fat and shit.

Royce Nelson

Iron sharpens something
Dec 31, 2015
Are there bears where you'll be camping? If not, bring hotdogs, steaks, and/or hamburgers. They are easy to cook. Bags of chips. Cooler with toppings and whatnot.

If you are really lazy, take a pot to boil water and buy some of those pre-packaged backcountry dried meals. They've come a long way in the taste department since over the years. Just add water and presto, you got a meal. If you have low standards, oodles and noodles does the trick. Even instant mashed potatoes, the kind that just needs water added can be "good".

Soups can be easy as well. Beef stew and whatnot. Peanut butter and jelly, or some form of sandwich is good for when you don't feel like cooking.

If there are bears I would avoid anything like burgers and steak that drip fat and shit.
Yep no bears. Thank God.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Get a kabob rack. Bring meat, onion, pepper, tomato, salt & pepper, a knife, and a cutting board. Make kabobs.

Also bring steak and tongs. Season and cook over the kabob rack for another meal. Also bring potatoes wrapped in aluminum foil. Cover them in hot coals.

If you have a dutch oven, your possibilities will increase.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Or just bring veggies, a bow & arrow, and a set of knives to butcher an animal like a real man.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
A fat salami is great to give you good energy on little space/weight, and fill you up, without the need to cook anything.
I'm sure his boyfriend will have his in his pants so I'm sure that's already covered. :p

Apr 3, 2015
If you are really lazy, take a pot to boil water and buy some of those pre-packaged backcountry dried meals. They've come a long way in the taste department since over the years. Just add water and presto, you got a meal.
I fucking love those things, spent many a days on nothing but those....and I hate to be "that guy", but those meals are FAR from "lazy". I would say "ingenious" is the proper term. after a long day hiking or enjoying the wilderness the last thing I want to do is bust out a big stove or pots and pans etc to have a meal. I can take 5 - 10 different quality meals with me, my pocket rocket stove and a collapsible pot / fuel and it wouldnt even take up much space in my pack. it would weigh around 7 - 10 lbs total.

other less seasoned outdoors people would bring a 40 lbs cooler for those same 10 meals.

the BEST dehydrated meal you can get is the Chili Mac. tastes fucking incredible .

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #ASSBLOODS
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Stagg chilli

Soup (american soup is proper shit tho)

Uncrustables!

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
That tuna in pouches has some good flavors too. I had 2 the other day, ranch and the other was thai chilli (fucker had a whole red chilli chillin in the with it!)

Apr 3, 2015
Chilli Mac is really good, and I just learned on my last trip that the mountain house pasta primavera is great as well. I would eat it even if I was not backpacking.
try the Breakfast Skillet too, my wife swears by it, she puts that shit on tortillas with hot sauce.

I dont eat it because I hate eggs so I dont know how it tastes lol. I usually just have oatmeal for breakfast.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
try the Breakfast Skillet too, my wife swears by it, she puts that shit on tortillas with hot sauce.

I dont eat it because I hate eggs so I dont know how it tastes lol. I usually just have oatmeal for breakfast.
Oatmeal?

What are you? Oliver twist?

Shine ya shoe mister?