Garden Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
lueVelvet @lueVelvet compliment me on my lemon tree, you goof
Looking good my man! At first I thought you had put lime on top of the soil but then I saw the bag of perlite. Make sure you clip any leaves that are starting to curl. That shit sucks the life out of the citrus trees. Now wait a few years and make some tarts with the fruits of you labor!

Also, for some reason I don't get notifications for some threads. Splinty @Splinty needs to get on that. I can't work like this...

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
Just sat in my front garden having a beer.

Listening to chaffinches and starlings competing with the wood pigeons and the distant knocking of a woodpecker.

A good covid day today

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
We just transplanted our watermelons, cantaloupe, and super hot peppers today.
I can't wait to make some hot sauce in the fall.

M

member 3289

Looking good my man! At first I thought you had put lime on top of the soil but then I saw the bag of perlite. Make sure you clip any leaves that are starting to curl. That shit sucks the life out of the citrus trees. Now wait a few years and make some tarts with the fruits of you labor!

Also, for some reason I don't get notifications for some threads. Splinty @Splinty needs to get on that. I can't work like this...
Perlite and sand, yeah. Gotta keep that shit fast-draining and acidic!

I'm in the process of building it a mount/cage-type thing for my ledge as my apt faces south and the sun goes nearly overhead this time of year (7 months out of the year I'm good with enough of a sunlight angle).

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Just ordered 3 yards of soil to be delivered this morning. Then i'm off to buy 128 liner feet of cedar to make 3 more raised beds. 2 4x8's and a 4x4 for herbs.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Ended up getting 142 linear feet of cedar. And soil will actually be delivered tomorrow, I guess it's closed today. After work (#essential) I'll build the 3 beds out, fill the soil tomorrow after work (#essential) and then transplant next week.

Customary pic of my load of wood.

M

member 3289

Just sat in my front garden having a beer.

Listening to chaffinches and starlings competing with the wood pigeons and the distant knocking of a woodpecker.

A good covid day today
On weekends I'm usually awaken by the screeching of a blue jay who's probably being as noisy as he is for no other reason than to be a cunt.

View: https://youtu.be/T--LnlE1nE8

When I get up early in the morning it's usually a mourning dove making a really fucking creepy mating call.

View: https://youtu.be/3Km-jtXueTw

Once in a while I'll get to hear the lovely caw of a crow followed by the shrieks of 10 blue jays harassing him.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
On weekends I'm usually awoken by the screeching of a blue jay who's probably being as noisy as he is for no other reason than to be a cunt.

View: https://youtu.be/T--LnlE1nE8

When I get up early in the morning it's usually a mourning dove making a really fucking creepy mating call.

View: https://youtu.be/3Km-jtXueTw

Once in a while I'll get to hear the lovely caw of a crow followed by the shrieks of 10 blue jays harassing him.
Do you have mocking birds? Talk about annoying. We had one that would start making car alarm noises at like 3 am. It got so bad one night I went out to the garage in my boxers, grabbed a sledge hammer, and beat the fucking trunk of the tree until the bird stopped.

M

member 3289

Do you have mocking birds? Talk about annoying. We had one that would start making car alarm noises at like 3 am. It got so bad one night I went out to the garage in my boxers, grabbed a sledge hammer, and beat the fucking trunk of the tree until the bird stopped.
They're our state bird (in fairness they're like 7 states' state bird). I've never had them bother me but I can see how they could. Fuck they're mean, too. They will kick the ever-loving shit out of birds 3x their size and even attack humans who venture too close to their nests.

It's the real Angry Birds: People flee dive-bombing mockingbirds at Pompano mansion

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
They're our state bird (in fairness they're like 7 states' state bird). I've never had them bother me but I can see how they could. Fuck they're mean, too. They will kick the ever-loving shit out of birds 3x their size and even attack humans who venture too close to their nests.

It's the real Angry Birds: People flee dive-bombing mockingbirds at Pompano mansion
They are also the Texas state bird. We had a family of them that would return to a tree in our back yard every year, until I trimmed the tree, I put it off for 3 years for them. Then they go an do car alarm noises at 3 am. Oh fuck you bird, fuck you.

M

member 3289

They are also the Texas state bird. We had a family of them that would return to a tree in our back yard every year, until I trimmed the tree, I put it off for 3 years for them. Then they go an do car alarm noises at 3 am. Oh fuck you bird, fuck you.
This is New Jersey's state bird

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
We have a huge cardinal population in our yard. They’re literally everywhere and the males will fight their own reflection in side view mirrors and shiny bumpers. They’re not as bad as mocking birds though. Those things will attack a Mac truck if it drives by one of their nests.

M

member 3289

We have a huge cardinal population in our yard. They’re literally everywhere and the males will fight their own reflection in side view mirrors and shiny bumpers. They’re not as bad as mocking birds though. Those things will attack a Mac truck if it drives by one of their nests.
Mockingbirds approach every confrontation like it's the last fight they're ever going to have. Larger animals get intimidated just by their sheer aggression. Easily one of the most tenacious animals I've ever seen.

They actually remind me of myself in a lot of ways...

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Everything I've planted has died.
I've never started seeds indoors.
I've had a million leggy plants die, watched a million videos.
Everyone is telling me to buy this and that & it pisses me off.
Did cavemen have LED lights and miracle grow, heaters, heat pads, mirrors and blood & bone mix & 40# of worm castings?
WTF
Think I'll head out to the ocean and grab 40 pounds of seaweed, this is fucking ridiculous.

Soil, water, sun, seed.

WHAT THE FUCK

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I think I did a pretty sweet job.

nice
looks great
nice yard/space

I am using rough cut cedar(true 2inc thick lumber)...tired of them aging at different rates with the multiple boards per side...will still last you a good bit for sure...bought a dozen 2x12x12 rough cut cedar planks few days back...just need to find space for em...then soil loads in the pickup.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015

Here's my gawtdamn watermelon crop.
mix hydrogen peroxide at preferred rate and water with that?

it can reduce mold/fungal growth on plants and in soil

natural rainwater has a low percentage of hydrogen peroxide(oxygenated bleach)

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Did cavemen have LED lights and miracle grow, heaters, heat pads, mirrors and blood & bone mix & 40# of worm castings?
WTF
Think I'll head out to the ocean and grab 40 pounds of seaweed, this is fucking ridiculous.

Soil, water, sun, seed.

WHAT THE FUCK
Rinse and dig that shit (seaweed&kelp) in much earlier in the season though.

Fuck all the crazy extras.

If your location allows it weather wise, set up a greenhouse. I fertilize with some bought sea soil, yard generated compost, and ground antler mix

We live in the middle of the city on a city lot and we still produce an abundance of food and weed.

A greenhouse, a few large raised beds and some container patio gardening can have you enjoying your efforts all year around.

I just ran out of last seasons weed.... well, I didnt run out completely, but all the good stuff.

Our garlic is self sustaining and keeps us supplied all year.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
WTF

Soil, water, sun, seed.

WHAT THE FUCK
garden starts?

we got lots of experience over here if you can be specific.