Garden Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Nice

Blight stays in the soil for two years so rotate the tomatoes plants next year to a new location

Might wanna get a bag of Cal Mag to add a few times during the year

Have you had a lot of moist air lately? Cold Temps? Maybe overwatering?

I lost a shitload to bottom blossom rot this year early and it cleared up when I started up with the Cal Mag...temps got hot also though so...

Not blight related but this article has some good info

Gardening has a learning curve like most other worthwhile pursuits in life.

You can only learn from each experience in a garden...So many variables and so much to now.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Making Salsa today

Gonna can it

I will cry cutting these onions

Had to buy cilantro because ours bolts to seed and produces very little leaves to eat...was hot lately

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Making Salsa today

Gonna can it

I will cry cutting these onions

Had to buy cilantro because ours bolts to seed and produces very little leaves to eat...was hot lately
Same, making green salsa.
Just went out for cilantro and garlic because mine flowered.
Onions are still curing.

Yes, I overwatered the tomatoes, tons of rot also.
I was trying to make up for 2 weeks of smoke.
Really my daughter just planted them all WAY too close.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Same, making green salsa.
Just went out for cilantro and garlic because mine flowered.
Onions are still curing.

Yes, I overwatered the tomatoes, tons of rot also.
I was trying to make up for 2 weeks of smoke.
Really my daughter just planted them all WAY too close.
mine are about 18 inches apart...8 toms and 3 tomatillos all in a 8 by 4 bed...toms are like 7 feet tall(big yield)
trimming low stuff to get air flow is good but overwatering is a big cause of blight
Rough year for many plants because of the smoke also
cal mag or something a few times a year cuts down on the rot

I let tomatoes show watering stress before I water em each time

You learn a lot thru each season, a log is always good...and also I write down what was in each bed at the end of season to remind me for next year which crops to locate...I have a PDF about what shouldn't be planted in the soil of other plants the following season, I will find that and post it

I get a huge pepper crop every 3 years or so...but for various reasons I have weaker yield half the time even though I have tons of garden experience

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
what got ya?

I have some med habeneros
these things are fucking hot
I'm not sure.
Habenero, jalapeno, wax peppers, thai chili & some others.

That bulbous red one and the little green ones and red one are weapons of ass destruction w/o a doubt.

Spaghetti sauce on the left, salsa on the right.

20201003_165408.jpg

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
mine are about 18 inches apart...8 toms and 3 tomatillos all in a 8 by 4 bed...toms are like 7 feet tall(big yield)
trimming low stuff to get air flow is good but overwatering is a big cause of blight
Rough year for many plants because of the smoke also
cal mag or something a few times a year cuts down on the rot

I let tomatoes show watering stress before I water em each time

You learn a lot thru each season, a log is always good...and also I write down what was in each bed at the end of season to remind me for next year which crops to locate...I have a PDF about what shouldn't be planted in the soil of other plants the following season, I will find that and post it

I get a huge pepper crop every 3 years or so...but for various reasons I have weaker yield half the time even though I have tons of garden experience
I love this time of year because of all the fresh tomatoes. Making chicken cacciatore or spaghetti with fresh tomatoes is amazing.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
All the Slurpee Syrup colas were ruined by catipillars. All the Tahoe OG (the best pheno) colas were destroyed by caterpillars. So 3 out of 6 plants thus far have been fucked. Still have buds that are untouched, but shit, I get fucked every year. I have the Tahoe pheno that is a queer Tahoe and that's just about untouched by the caterpillars, and then I have the Snow Cone which has minimal damage. Last night I just took a hose to all of them to give a complete and thorough flush. Ran about 20 gallons through each one of them, and once their pots are dry, I'm pulling them. Guess I'll do a dry trim this time as there will be no time for a proper trim. The caterpillars fuck me each year and I forget all about it until the following year - year after year. So pissed.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
On a funny note, I was removing a cola with caterpillar damage and noticed the tip of it was untouched. I took the tip of it, which may dry out to about a gram, and put it in my desk drawer to dry. The entire house smells like straight up funk right now with that little, measly, bud. It's the Slurpee Syrup if anyone wants to know details. Long story short, when I pull these plants on most likely Monday, I'm about to be bombing my entire hood with the smell of weed.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'm not sure.
Habenero, jalapeno, wax peppers, thai chili & some others.

That bulbous red one and the little green ones and red one are weapons of ass destruction w/o a doubt.

Spaghetti sauce on the left, salsa on the right.

View attachment 16801
Grow some real hot peppers bro. Them shits is mild.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Last update before chopping these bitches. These BLM caterpillars fucking suck!
SC1.JPG
Snow cone

SC1.JPGSC2.JPG
Snow coneSC3.JPG
Snow cone

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
All the colas were ruined with the Slurpee Syrup, so all I have left is lowers. So, so bummed. Fuck you caterpillars!
SS1.JPG
Slurpee Syrup

SS2.JPG
Slurpee Syrup

SS3.JPG
Slurpee Syrup

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
TOG1.JPG
Tahoe (the queer pheno)

TOG2.JPG
Tahoe (the queer pheno)

TOG3.JPG
Tahoe (the legit pheno)

1.JPG
And a bit of everything.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Do you do a wet or dry trim?
Wet trimming is far easier and I get a much cleaner final product. Unfortunately since it's a race to beat the caterpillars, it's going to be a dry trim this time. Everything is getting yanked as soon as these pots are dry, which should be tomorrow. Trimming takes a lot of time, and time just isn't on my side for a wet trim. Once you chop the sugar leaves don't stay stretched out very long, and after that it's a gooey mess with the scissors simply collecting way too much trichs and gumming up really fast. It's either wet trim or dry trim, but anything in between doesn't work out well.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Wet trimming is far easier and I get a much cleaner final product. Unfortunately since it's a race to beat the caterpillars, it's going to be a dry trim this time. Everything is getting yanked as soon as these pots are dry, which should be tomorrow. Trimming takes a lot of time, and time just isn't on my side for a wet trim. Once you chop the sugar leaves don't stay stretched out very long, and after that it's a gooey mess with the scissors simply collecting way too much trichs and gumming up really fast. It's either wet trim or dry trim, but anything in between doesn't work out well.
I did a wet trim and as you predicted it took hours. Good size buds for a couple plants and then some a bit smaller for the ones that got chopped a week early.. and lots of popcorn buds for those massive ones in the garden. I’ll weight it all up when dry but overall a good crop.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
So I had a few victims of circumstance that happened to be fucked up when I pulled the plants. I was ripping out water leaves like a madman just trying to do things quickly, however the Slurpee Syrup happens to have very stringy fibers on its stalks (just like the Tahoe). While ripping the water leaves, some buds were torn off in the process. This is a victim of circumstance bud that I just had to keep instead of toss. About a gram and a half I'm guessing. It's dry enough to smoke, but since it didn't dry on the vine, it really will need a cure of some sorts, but it's something I could just light up right now at this point. This strain is going to be epic. Not to brag on my nuts, but this isn't half bad for outdoor.
2.JPG
3.JPG

JOE_0107 (3).JPG

What a shame ThatOneDude @ThatOneDude gave up smoking.

Last edited:

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
On day 2 after yanking these things down I went to work and smelled nothing but weed on my clothes for the first half of the day. On day 3 I smelled weed on my clothes all day. It's throughout my entire house and just getting completely into all materials. Last night after work when I pulled into my driveway I smelled it before I got out of the car, and all my windows in my house are closed. I'd imagine once the breeze dies down later in the evening it can be smelled much further out. Suck it neighbors!

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Not happy with the destruction to this plant, but my Tahoe with the legit Tahoe pheno traits ended up at 2.8 zips. Without the caterpillar devastation, easily over a qp.
All in all with my issues which led to the latest start ever, I shouldn't be too bummed.
20201017_011113.jpg

Last edited:

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
These gosh darn super hots are finally starting to ripen. Probably making hot sauce next week. Wooot wooooooot.
PXL_20201110_214842942.MP.jpg