General *Gas Price Thread* - Post here and Track Biden-flation.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Fucking lol Rambo John J @Outlaw Shit

Run your truck with e10 for a month and you'll find your fuel usage will be the same. Cars have been engineered to run on it for 25 years.

The myth of octane is just that.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
It's literally my profession.
I don’t believe that for a second, unless you’re trolling.

There’s no arguing that there’s less btu’s with an ethanol mix.

There’s also no arguing that given the same octane, the fuel with less btu will have worse fuel economy.

It’s also a fact that ethanol attracts water. Which leads to water in the fuel system on vehicles not driven regularly.

This also leads to water in the crankcase of DI engines that are short tripped due to fuel dilution & the oil not getting hot enough to burn off the fuel & water.

All these issues are common and caused by ethanol in fuel.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I don’t believe that for a second, unless you’re trolling.

There’s no arguing that there’s less btu’s with an ethanol mix.

There’s also no arguing that given the same octane, the fuel with less btu will have worse fuel economy.

It’s also a fact that ethanol attracts water. Which leads to water in the fuel system on vehicles not driven regularly.

This also leads to water in the crankcase of DI engines that are short tripped due to fuel dilution & the oil not getting hot enough to burn off the fuel & water.

All these issues are common and caused by ethanol in fuel.
It's very apparent that you don't understand the first thing about how a modern car works, so please, just stop.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
It's very apparent that you don't understand the first thing about how a modern car works, so please, just stop.
I love how you can’t go after my statements as they are all scientifically sound. Instead you attempt to shift to “modern cars” operation.

Theres no getting around physics for modern vehicles. Are you stating there’s no fuel dilution issues, especially with short tripped DI engines?

Are you also trying to say there is some magic out there allowing a modern vehicle to burn two different fuels, at the same octane level, but one at a reduced btu & there will be no corresponding loss in mpg?

If this is the kind of crap you’re trying to say, my guess is your job in the industry is a petroleum distillates transfer engineer. Pump Jockey.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I love how you can’t go after my statements as they are all scientifically sound. Instead you attempt to shift to “modern cars” operation.
You're making statements about stationary fuel being burned and that isn't how an internal combustion engine works. Your statements are for laboratories and not the real world.

As I said, it's clear you don't know what you're talking about so just stop.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
You're making statements about stationary fuel being burned and that isn't how an internal combustion engine works. Your statements are for laboratories and not the real world.

As I said, it's clear you don't know what you're talking about so just stop.
I understand about atomization of the fuel on the intake. It doesn’t change my statements or the fact that fuel wash past the piston rings DOES occur in practice & that the btu content of the fuel still impacts mileage.

Do you have no actual real world experience? This is like speaking to a new SCADA engineer who can’t understand why something on paper doesn’t work like their models show in practice.

One look into UOA’s will show you I’m correct about fuel wash.

A simple discussion or look into engine builders seeing rust on rotating assemblies of engines running high amounts of ethanol or engines with lower amounts of ethanol but rarely getting the oil up to operating temperature will also show you that I’m correct.

If you’re going to try to argue btu content not impacting mpg, then you’re just an idiot. Take one look into multi fuel engines and their different efficiency ratings on different fuels.

From first hand experience we lost about 30% mpg converting a fleet of service trucks from gasoline to to LP Gas. This makes sense given the reduced btu content with no major changes to compression or cam timing to take advantage of the LP Gas higher octane rating. We could have gained back a few percent by raising the compression to 12:1 from about 9:1 but the added expense didn’t justify the return in this case.

I actually have plenty of experience with several types of engines from axial flow to reciprocating piston of different types. I’ve also had to study fuels from working at both race engine machine shops specializing in alcohol through dual fuel power plants. I’ve worked for chevron & have had several of their white papers on fuels on my desk & still keep in touch with a few of their engineers today.

I would implore you to make your comments about octane not having any impact, fuel wash not being real or ethanol not attracting water to any professional. They’ll laugh your ass right out of the building.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I understand about atomization of the fuel on the intake. It doesn’t change my statements or the fact that fuel wash past the piston rings DOES occur in practice & that the btu content of the fuel still impacts mileage.

Do you have no actual real world experience? This is like speaking to a new SCADA engineer who can’t understand why something on paper doesn’t work like their models show in practice.

One look into UOA’s will show you I’m correct about fuel wash.

A simple discussion or look into engine builders seeing rust on rotating assemblies of engines running high amounts of ethanol or engines with lower amounts of ethanol but rarely getting the oil up to operating temperature will also show you that I’m correct.

If you’re going to try to argue btu content not impacting mpg, then you’re just an idiot. Take one look into multi fuel engines and their different efficiency ratings on different fuels.

From first hand experience we lost about 30% mpg converting a fleet of service trucks from gasoline to to LP Gas. This makes sense given the reduced btu content with no major changes to compression or cam timing to take advantage of the LP Gas higher octane rating. We could have gained back a few percent by raising the compression to 12:1 from about 9:1 but the added expense didn’t justify the return in this case.

I actually have plenty of experience with several types of engines from axial flow to reciprocating piston of different types. I’ve also had to study fuels from working at both race engine machine shops specializing in alcohol through dual fuel power plants. I’ve worked for chevron & have had several of their white papers on fuels on my desk & still keep in touch with a few of their engineers today.

I would implore you to make your comments about octane not having any impact, fuel wash not being real or ethanol not attracting water to any professional. They’ll laugh your ass right out of the building.
You're comparing full alcohol race engines with engines designed to run on E10 while also claiming an impossible 30% reduction in fuel mileage?

Christ on a cracker, I couldn't make this shit up if I tried.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Just busy. Also, a lot of holy shit awful fights.
Tbh, fights have become too scary for me. It's probably just a function of there being way more fights nowadays, but silva, Anderson, then weidman. Aspinal. A girl or guy dislocated arm posting when getting taken down recently. And fiziev a couple days ago

I'm often tense watching fights.

Hashtag ban leg kicks

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
You're comparing full alcohol race engines with engines designed to run on E10 while also claiming an impossible 30% reduction in fuel mileage?

Christ on a cracker, I couldn't make this shit up if I tried.
Your reading comprehension needs work.

You’ve also only claimed that the absolute rules of btu’s don’t apply to modern cars & can’t offer one iota of input outside of “just stop”. I’m going out on a limb & stating your homeslice from the OG. He’s the only idiot big enough to argue against physics ?

No more feeding the troll today.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
You’ve also only claimed that the absolute rules of btu’s don’t apply to modern cars
No, I claimed you don't understand how modern cars work. Your statements, although facts, don't apply to real world conditions. I told you to stop because you're spreading misinformation about octane impacting fuel economy and some nonsense about water in the fuel system as if the level of moisture in a sealed system is drastically changed by adding 10% of ethanol to gasoline. The guy you were backing up is a known troll and bullshitter.

Last edited:

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Tbh, fights have become too scary for me. It's probably just a function of there being way more fights nowadays, but silva, Anderson, then weidman. Aspinal. A girl or guy dislocated arm posting when getting taken down recently. And fiziev a couple days ago

I'm often tense watching fights.

Hashtag ban leg kicks
Did Fiziev get a busted leg?

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Did Fiziev get a busted leg?
Yup. I was looking down playing chess thankfully. But heard the announcers yell out. Sounded like he wasn't injured by being kicked, but rather, he was kicking. And it was the non-kicking leg that tore something.

I turned it off asap tho to avoid seeing or hearing more lol

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
No, I claimed you don't understand how modern cars work. Your statements, although facts, don't apply to real world conditions. I told you to stop because you're spreading misinformation about octane impacting fuel economy and some nonsense about water in the fuel system as if the level of moisture in a sealed system is drastically changed by adding 10% of ethanol to gasoline. The guy you were backing up is a known troll and bullshitter.
I never once stated octane impacted fuel economy. I stated btu does. Reading comprehension, again.

Water does enter fuel systems as they aren’t completely sealed & ethanol does attract water.

I absolutely do not spread misinformation.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I never once stated octane impacted fuel economy. I stated btu does. Reading comprehension, again.

Water does enter fuel systems as they aren’t completely sealed & ethanol does attract water.

I absolutely do not spread misinformation.
Water in fuel systems is not a legitimate concern. Water in crankcases is laughable. Fuel without ethanol does not produce better mileage than E10 as a vehicles mileage is based on the fuel it's designed to run and ethanol does not produce fuel leaks.

So yes, you are spreading misinformation.

ManDingo

Your Mother’s Lover
Dec 10, 2021
I have the scooter ? for around town
Motorcycle ?️ for around town and work
And use car when big shopping and when weather is shit

ManDingo

Your Mother’s Lover
Dec 10, 2021
On 2 wheels as much as possible
Getting my freedom and mpg at same time

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Water in fuel systems is not a legitimate concern. Water in crankcases is laughable. Fuel without ethanol does not produce better mileage than E10 as a vehicles mileage is based on the fuel it's designed to run and ethanol does not produce fuel leaks.

So yes, you are spreading misinformation.
Ok. Since you're not going to listen to me on this how about the feds? Here's a DOE page explaining how the btu content of fuel WILL impact fuel economy & yes even E10 reduces mpg:

Ethanol (fueleconomy.gov)

Here are a couple studies on the corrosive tendencies of oxygenated fuels. Ethanol will hold FAR more water than E0 gasoline and has serious impacts on automotive and small engine applications:

Study of Corrosion of Metallic Materials in Ethanol–Gasoline Blends: Application of Electrochemical Methods | Energy & Fuels (acs.org)

Corrosion assessment of metals in bioethanol-gasoline blends using electrochemical impedance spectroscopy - ScienceDirect

Since many don't like to read, here is a video of some issues with ethanol during short tripped engines. I didn't search very long so this happened to be for E85. You will see rust, carbon & sludge. This was supposedly a short tripped engine that received 2,000mi OCI's.

View: https://youtu.be/bPcVBc4-5Mk?si=_e9m99L3uaZC9nxx

Now this issue can still happen with E10 & E15 it's just a slower process. Like I stated previously, vehicles & equipment that are stored for longer periods of time are more likely to encounter these issues than a daily driven vehicle, unless that DD is a short tripped DI engine and the oil is never allowed to come up to operating temperature.