Has anyone been competing/getting ready to compete soon?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 603

Just got wrapped in Jacksonville at the AGF show, our team was 2nd place overall in no gi, 3rd overall in gi. I'm super proud of my team, although they all left me to get the trophies as they all went to Dave & Buster's (LOL).

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
No competitions yet. I'm still trying to work myself back from the torn groin/ hernia injury. Hopefully I'll be 100% for the DC. Open in September. I've lost almost 30 lbs. since my last comp in November. Looks like i'll be competing at Lightweight.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Got a silver today at my first IBJJF comp. Lost a referee's decision in the final which was probably fair, he was the aggressor. Loads to work on tomorrow at open mat, I saw Leigh today too :)

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Competition again next weekend, plan is just to do as many comps as possible, even if they are smaller/local ones and then do the IBJJF/UAEJJF ones whenever possible.

I'll probably do three more IBJJF comps before the end of the year and probably 6 smaller comps too

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Took silver in Advanced No-Gi and Purple belt Gi at Newbreed Greenville today. Still trying to find the top of the podium again.

jasonhightower

"You're not even training are you Frenchy?"
Jan 2, 2017
Got 2nd at the IBJJF Austin tourney at Master 3 Feather. Lost 3-0 in the finals but it's the most comfortable I've ever felt in competition.

Popped my knee in the first match and it feels pretty fucked now, so may miss Master Worlds next month. Damnit.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Got 2nd at the IBJJF Austin tourney at Master 3 Feather. Lost 3-0 in the finals but it's the most comfortable I've ever felt in competition.

Popped my knee in the first match and it feels pretty fucked now, so may miss Master Worlds next month. Damnit.

Good work! Sucks about your knee, hopefully nothing serious.
Did you have to dodge any chairs during your matches? I heard some were flying around the venue in Austin.

jasonhightower

Jan 2, 2017
Good work! Sucks about your knee, hopefully nothing serious.
Did you have to dodge any chairs during your matches? I heard some were flying around the venue in Austin.
Haha, didn't see the chairs flying but I think the white belts went on Sunday. I left Saturday night. I think we're thinking of the same video though. LOL

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Doing a no gi comp next Sunday, I've only done one no gi comp in the past but my no gi game is actually not that bad

Darqnezz

Apr 25, 2015

Congrats on placing 2nd. Sorry to hear about your knee. Get well soon.

Darqnezz

Apr 25, 2015
Preparing for the IBJJF DC. Open in September. I'm down 2 weight classes since competing in November. Should be fun.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Closed another division with my training partner, the little pit bull, had 3 matches in the absolutes and got to the semi finals where I lost on a refs decision. Had I won I would have received a big ass hammer! I saw Leigh today as well he watched my first match in the absolutes, guy was huge compared to me but I won 2-0, he dropped for a foot lock at the end so I came up for the points. I’ll post the match later on

M

member 603

Did the FFBJJ Florida State Championship with 9 members of my comp team today.... Walked away with two gold's, 4 silvers, and 1 bronze..... These kids work hard, and I'm proud of them.... Two state champs, not bad

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Does anybody cut weight for tourneys? Is it common in the BJJ world? I'm looking at the next in house tourney and as of now I'd be at the bottom of the division in weight. I slowly trimming but if I'm 3-6 lbs up I'm wondering if you guys think it's worth a mini cut or just show up and deal with the bigger dudes.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Does anybody cut weight for tourneys? Is it common in the BJJ world? I'm looking at the next in house tourney and as of now I'd be at the bottom of the division in weight. I slowly trimming but if I'm 3-6 lbs up I'm wondering if you guys think it's worth a mini cut or just show up and deal with the bigger dudes.
I don’t “cut” (meaning I don’t make any attempts to lose water weight), but I will diet down a couple pounds in the month leading up to the tournament to make sure I don’t miss weight. I walk around in the high 170’s/low 180’s and compete as an IBJJF middleweight (181.5 and under with the gi). I could cut to lightweight without difficulty (I cut to 145 with one of our fighters to make a point when I was 37), but I would rather feel good and possibly grapple someone a little heavier than risk medical problems and/or feeling like crap to go down a weight class.
At smaller tournaments, there is no point in cutting weight because they combine weight classes so often. I ran into a guy who usually competes at middleweight once at a local tournament. He cut down to 149 to drop down 2 weight classes- and they combined three weight classes so we grappled anyways. He felt weak and slow compared to when I grappled with him at 181.5.
With one exception, I have never felt that I got beat in a tournament just because the opponent was bigger/stronger- and that time the guy had cut down to barely make 220 and then they combined my weight class 176-195 and the 196-225 (and also combined masters/executive). My 44 year old 178 pound ass got merked by a 30 y/o 230 something. Even in that case, if my BJJ was better the weight would not have mattered.
Having said that, I still see lots of people cutting weight for tournaments; and it is pretty much ubiquitous at the higher levels. I think it is crazy to take that medical risk as a nobody competing in some dusty gym for a $0.99 medal.

M

member 603

Older guys don't cut weight much, not at the local level, but I've seen the 18-29 Adult Division competitors do it, especially those guys who are using it as a test to see how they'd do in MMA classes.

In the major tournaments guys will lose weight to make a class, but not cut since most of those events you weigh in right before you compete (in your Gi), so there's no rehydration period.

I never let any kid on my team cut weight, the teens, if they are within 3 lbs of the division, I'll help them lose weight correctly, in 2.5 years of running my comp team, I've only had one kid miss weight.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I don’t “cut” (meaning I don’t make any attempts to lose water weight), but I will diet down a couple pounds in the month leading up to the tournament to make sure I don’t miss weight. I walk around in the high 170’s/low 180’s and compete as an IBJJF middleweight (181.5 and under with the gi). I could cut to lightweight without difficulty (I cut to 145 with one of our fighters to make a point when I was 37), but I would rather feel good and possibly grapple someone a little heavier than risk medical problems and/or feeling like crap to go down a weight class.
At smaller tournaments, there is no point in cutting weight because they combine weight classes so often. I ran into a guy who usually competes at middleweight once at a local tournament. He cut down to 149 to drop down 2 weight classes- and they combined three weight classes so we grappled anyways. He felt weak and slow compared to when I grappled with him at 181.5.
With one exception, I have never felt that I got beat in a tournament just because the opponent was bigger/stronger- and that time the guy had cut down to barely make 220 and then they combined my weight class 176-195 and the 196-225 (and also combined masters/executive). My 44 year old 178 pound ass got merked by a 30 y/o 230 something. Even in that case, if my BJJ was better the weight would not have mattered.
Having said that, I still see lots of people cutting weight for tournaments; and it is pretty much ubiquitous at the higher levels. I think it is crazy to take that medical risk as a nobody competing in some dusty gym for a $0.99 medal.
Great info thanks. I'm the weight as you it seems and am aiming for the 181.5 division as well. I never considered them mashing divisions for me even though it's happened to my kids often so good point. Thing is as I've started so late I'm ok with risking health for a $0.99 medal so I can die a champion,my window of opportunity is closing quickly.

jasonhightower

Jan 2, 2017
Competed yesterday at Master Worlds (Master 4, purple, light feather), winning 15-0 my first match and losing by refs decision 0-0 in the semifinals. Super close match and then watching my opponent go on and lose by 1 advantage in the finals was gutwrenching. So damn close.

M

member 603

Competed yesterday at Master Worlds (Master 4, purple, light feather), winning 15-0 my first match and losing by refs decision 0-0 in the semifinals. Super close match and then watching my opponent go on and lose by 1 advantage in the finals was gutwrenching. So damn close.
That's amazing, 15-0 is a blowout... Great work

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Should be doing IBJJF Paris open in November. Haven't competed since August but I feel like I've done enough comps now to know how I can win these big ones.

Probably do another big one around December time then it's the euros for me in January.