Society Hurricane Irma

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I cant figure out why your area wouldn't have the vast majority of electrical systems ran underground. Any idea?

Chief @Chief any input here?
Here in Jacksonville its just about age. All of our main transmission lines are above ground and then older neighborhoods still have power poles just because that is how it was done here before the 80's. Newer neighborhoods have underground utility service.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Here in Jacksonville its just about age. All of our main transmission lines are above ground and then older neighborhoods still have power poles just because that is how it was done here before the 80's. Newer neighborhoods have underground utility service.
Still seems like poor decision making if FL is constantly getting hit with stroms. I wonder how many people would be with power now if their area was fed underground. It must cost a fortune to fix and replace so much damage every so often.

M

member 3289

Chief @Chief so you work for a public utility?

Also Duval County is still pretty big at just under a million people. I know we've got the 3 most populated counties in the state down here but Palm Beach County is 3rd and ir has just over a million, so I imagine Duval is 4th or 5th.

I know Jacksonville is the most populated city in the entire state, even more populated than Miami.

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Chief @Chief so you work for a public utility?

Also Duval County is still pretty big at just under a million people. I know we've got the 3 most populated counties in the state down here but Palm Beach County is 3rd and ir has just over a million, so I imagine Duval is 4th or 5th.

I know Jacksonville is the most populated city in the entire state, even more populated than Miami.
Yes sir. Jacksonville's power all comes from a community-owned not for profit utility. I am a municipal employee.

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Still seems like poor decision making if FL is constantly getting hit with stroms. I wonder how many people would be with power now if their area was fed underground. It must cost a fortune to fix and replace so much damage every so often.
Absolutely. Our line maintainers are always busy. Underground would have been much better.

M

member 603

FINALLY.... Got my power back..... I'm out here cranking Snap's "I've got the power" and high fiving the neighbors.