General "I have something to say, but it doesn't warrant its own thread."

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Gave a homeless person a lasagne.
I don't know why I keep being so nice to them, fuckers would probably rob me if they had the chance

steroid to heaven

Colonize the Sun
Dec 23, 2015
lefties: its cool to be a guy in makeup pretending hes a girl

but put black face on to change races?!?!?!? RACIST!

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
lefties: its cool to be a guy in makeup pretending hes a girl

but put black face on to change races?!?!?!? RACIST!
Lefties: I don’t want a dick anymore, and it’s my mission to make sure all men become women!

Other leftie: great ideas. No one having dicks makes us all equal!

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Think I met a new girlfriend. We just spent 6+ hours hanging out and dancing at the pubs and clubs. She's only been in Derby 3 weeks (from Kenya) so she's not got any friends, and I hate every cunt in Derby so neither do I, but we both met each other in the party bar and hit off and started talking and stayed out and went to a nightclub. She's got good taste in music and we are basically the same age. Plus she catches on to me unparalleled wits when I'm taking the piss. And get this, during our chats, I didn't fucken say anything, but it emerged that she was a boxer!!!

She likes fighting!!

Nov 21, 2015
Don't know that I could replace looking through an eyepiece.
Hunting for objects by guess and small movements of the scope helped me learn the sky, the kids today are so lazy with their fancy pants imaging software ?

"Don't know that I could replace looking through an eyepiece"

I fully agree. A delayed video stacked image simply is NOT the same as direct live and real time viewing

I'm afraid its the best we have now though. Light Pollution is so bad its insane.

I feel even more sad for the unknowing amateur astronomers who drop $1,500 on a telescope and think they
are going to see anything even REMOTELY close to the shit they see in magazines below.

When I first successfully tracked and centered my first telescope on M81 (Andromeda Galaxy)....

Like a sucker I "thought" I would see something like below.

We are NEVER gonna see anything like the picture below in a live view land based back yard telescope. Ever! I mean fuckin EVER!

What I saw was a blurry fuzzy fuckin cotton ball, that I literally thought was a "smudge" on the internal mirrors of my telescope

I was in full denial that what I was seeing was the "Andromeda Galaxy". (Virgin, Unknowing, Gullible Rookie Astronomer. lol)

Over about 2 weeks my friends that were expereinced astronomers finally convinced me that it wasn't a damn smudge on my internal mirrors and that raggedy ass looking, fuzzy blurr of cotton was actually the Andromeda Galaxy!

The only way for us "common folk" to see pictures like below is to either have Licensed use and time with Hubble Telescope....

OR

1. Use a SLRC/Astro Camera/ combo with telescope to stack multiple images taken over multiple minutes and hours
then processed through imaging software like "Deep Sky Stacker", "Star Tools", Adobe Photoshop, " Pix Insight" etc

2. Drop a few grand on a top of the line "Video Astronomy Camera" and view a delayed & stacked image after about 2 minutes exposure

Eitherway... We willl never see any deep sky objects as they truly are through our backyard telescopes in real time

Men and our light pollution have fucked that off entirely.

Its not an experience that any of us will have or can ever have that are alive today.

I almost quit astronomy once I realized this.

What brought me back was something a good friend and very experienced astronomer said to me one evening
when I was bitching to him.

He said:

"Why are you so hung up on seeing the true image of Galaxies and objects live?

Even if you could see them in their full beauty from your telescope you are still not seeing them live.

Andromeda Galaxy is 2.5 million light years away! Even if you could see her true beauty through your telescope
you are still viewing a Galaxy as it looked 2.5 Million years ago! You don't even know if what you are seeing
still fucking exists!

Your'e a good friend but if that is your hang up then you are not nearly as intelligent as I thought you were
and frankly you sound like a privileged, expecting asshole. 99% of humanity will NEVER see or even apppreciate
what you are seeing right now. I suggest you put shit into perspective or quit.

That was almost 10 years ago...

Today he's still one of my friends and go to sources for astronomy imaging problems that I cant solve
and you can bet I have NEVER complained to him again or bitched about the viewability of any objects since.

"The Universe is unfathomably beautiful. Apppreciate the small miniscule parts of it that you can see
and shut the fuck up" - Chan Greenberg an OG in the Amateur Astronomy Game
(Paraphrasing like crazy, but thats the message I got :tearsofjoy:)

*WARNING

Amateur Astronomers to Be... You will NEVER see an Image like below in real time through your Telescope

If the salesman thats selling you your telescope even hints that this is the type of imagery you will see live
in your scope then you're getting hustled homie. A "Live real time view" like below, from a land based amateur
telescope is a pipe dream. Sorry to be the one to tell ya

Andromeda_Galaxy_560mm_FL.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2015
For my 40th a couple of months ago, I rented a place with a bunch of friends on the edge of the Aoraki Mackenzie Dark Sky Reserve, which is apparently the biggest in the world and the only dark sky reserve in the Southern Hemisphere. A few of us were going to go to the observatory, but it was cloudy both nights unfortunately. Still, it's on the list for the missus and I. We're lucky that it's only a morning's drive away.

Biggest sky I've ever seen was a few hours into the Australian outback, though. That shit was unreal. Zero light pollution for hundreds of miles in every direction. Flat orange-coloured nothing from horizon to horizon in every direction, and the stars were unreal at night.

Photo isn't me, but it's just this as far as the eye can see, everywhere you look.

You are SO fortunate. The AU darksites are a prized GEM among us State Side Astronomers

Particularly "Siding Springs".

I'm probably pronouncing it and/or spelling it all fucked up but US "Murican Astronomers" dream of having a scope
and dome in Siding Springs AU

I rent time on a 22" inch scope located in Siding Springs AU (So they say. I've never physically been there to confirm the site/scope I'm paying for) from a private network of amateur astronomers.

It kinda ruins and spoils you though. Going from a 22" scope in Siding Springs AU to a 16" scope in
light polluted So Cal will have you questioning the gods and asking why they hate you so much. lol

If you are located anywhere near Siding Spring AU I have a ton of Amateur Astronomers that will pay you
handsomely to build a dome and install their telescopes with a remote internet connection.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2015
Look for Omega Centauri. Looks like a fuzzy star.
It's an enormous globular cluster of millions of stars, the finest in the sky, unviewable from my latitude.

Use a pair of binoculars and you'll be astounded at what some "stars" turn out to be.

Btw there needs to be a "jealous" emoji
Omega Centauri (NGC 5139) is my boo thang!

I failed my first astrophotography class. I mean failed with a capital F! I felt so dumb and inadequate
the professor spent a full month with me teaching me personally. Omega Centauri is what I cut my teeth on.

Learned all the nuances of creating "darks", eliminating heat noise, how to use a guide scope for tracking,
why you need a cooling fan for CCD cameras (they were the shit back then lol) etc.

OC (Omega Centauri )will always be my favorite globular cluster.

You are really bringing back memories for me. ?

b73adab9-9a1f-4bcc-959c-afc3e170042f-1582120957.jpg

*Above picture is not mine. I'm not remotely that talented to produce such an image

Source is a awesome amateur astronomer from Namibia.
You can find the eqiupment and settings he used here
> Omega Centauri

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2015
Gave a homeless person a lasagne.
I don't know why I keep being so nice to them, fuckers would probably rob me if they had the chance

How good is your lasagne?

In what city do you live and what is your street address?

At what times do you cook and leave what you cooked unattended?

Do you have any dogs or nosey neighbors?

Do you tend to call the police if food in your house comes up missing?

Just curious.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
"Don't know that I could replace looking through an eyepiece"

I fully agree. A delayed video stacked image simply is NOT the same as direct live and real time viewing

I'm afraid its the best we have now though. Light Pollution is so bad its insane.

I feel even more sad for the unknowing amateur astronomers who drop $1,500 on a telescope and think they
are going to see anything even REMOTELY close to the shit they see in magazines below.

When I first successfully tracked and centered my first telescope on M81 (Andromeda Galaxy)....

Like a sucker I "thought" I would see something like below.

We are NEVER gonna see anything like the picture below in a live view land based back yard telescope. Ever! I mean fuckin EVER!

What I saw was a blurry fuzzy fuckin cotton ball, that I literally thought was a "smudge" on the internal mirrors of my telescope

I was in full denial that what I was seeing was the "Andromeda Galaxy". (Virgin, Unknowing, Gullible Rookie Astronomer. lol)

Over about 2 weeks my friends that were expereinced astronomers finally convinced me that it wasn't a damn smudge on my internal mirrors and that raggedy ass looking, fuzzy blurr of cotton was actually the Andromeda Galaxy!

The only way for us "common folk" to see pictures like below is to either have Licensed use and time with Hubble Telescope....

OR

1. Use a SLRC/Astro Camera/ combo with telescope to stack multiple images taken over multiple minutes and hours
then processed through imaging software like "Deep Sky Stacker", "Star Tools", Adobe Photoshop, " Pix Insight" etc

2. Drop a few grand on a top of the line "Video Astronomy Camera" and view a delayed & stacked image after about 2 minutes exposure

Eitherway... We willl never see any deep sky objects as they truly are through our backyard telescopes in real time

Men and our light pollution have fucked that off entirely.

Its not an experience that any of us will have or can ever have that are alive today.

I almost quit astronomy once I realized this.

What brought me back was something a good friend and very experienced astronomer said to me one evening
when I was bitching to him.

He said:

"Why are you so hung up on seeing the true image of Galaxies and objects live?

Even if you could see them in their full beauty from your telescope you are still not seeing them live.

Andromeda Galaxy is 2.5 million light years away! Even if you could see her true beauty through your telescope
you are still viewing a Galaxy as it looked 2.5 Million years ago! You don't even know if what you are seeing
still fucking exists!

Your'e a good friend but if that is your hang up then you are not nearly as intelligent as I thought you were
and frankly you sound like a privileged, expecting asshole. 99% of humanity will NEVER see or even apppreciate
what you are seeing right now. I suggest you put shit into perspective or quit.

That was almost 10 years ago...

Today he's still one of my friends and go to sources for astronomy imaging problems that I cant solve
and you can bet I have NEVER complained to him again or bitched about the viewability of any objects since.

"The Universe is unfathomably beautiful. Apppreciate the small miniscule parts of it that you can see
and shut the fuck up" - Chan Greenberg an OG in the Amateur Astronomy Game
(Paraphrasing like crazy, but thats the message I got :tearsofjoy:)

*WARNING

Amateur Astronomers to Be... You will NEVER see an Image like below in real time through your Telescope

If the salesman thats selling you your telescope even hints that this is the type of imagery you will see live
in your scope then you're getting hustled homie. A "Live real time view" like below, from a land based amateur
telescope is a pipe dream. Sorry to be the one to tell ya

View attachment 71776
I think that image is reversed, the PA don't look right.

Yah, for myself I had no illusions, it was made "clear" to me that the human eye can't collect light the same way as photographic film or stacked images. That I wouldn't see sharp detail, and that some things only appear in photos.

For myself it was usually knowing what I was looking at that was more exciting. 3C 273 isn't anything special to see. My scope only showed it as a small, faint star.
But knowing what it is, makes it far more.

The first view I ever got of M31, pictured above, was with binoculars, and very much as described by (can't remember who,) Tycho? as looking like "the flame of a candle, seen through horn".

There's the photos, and then there's looking at the real thing. One is top quality to look at, the other is alive.

I was never much into local planetary astronomy.
Probably because the planets and their moons leave the eyepiece pretty fast without a guide motor. ?

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
How good is your lasagne?

In what city do you live and what is your street address?

At what times do you cook and leave what you cooked unattended?

Do you have any dogs or nosey neighbors?

Do you tend to call the police if food in your house comes up missing?

Just curious.
It was from a restaurant. I don't cook.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I think people my age l look so much older than me. I’m not saying I look young, just that if I see a 42yr old they seem older to me. I think I’m in denial that I appear older than I’d like to admit.
I don't do drugs, I don't smoke, and I've never been hard into the booze. I meet people I went to high school with and they no shit look 10 years older than I do.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I don't do drugs, I don't smoke, and I've never been hard into the booze. I meet people I went to high school with and they no shit look 10 years older than I do.
I'm opposite, everyone from school still looks older. It's swings and roundabouts for me, I can look really good or really bad.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Bam Margera has gone missing again. That’s the second time in almost as many weeks.

I don’t know why I’m so emotionally attached to him but I’m cheering for him.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Bam Margera has gone missing again. That’s the second time in almost as many weeks.

I don’t know why I’m so emotionally attached to him but I’m cheering for him.
I don't want anything bad to happen. The guy has been a douche to people for years.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Think I met a new girlfriend. We just spent 6+ hours hanging out and dancing at the pubs and clubs. She's only been in Derby 3 weeks (from Kenya) so she's not got any friends, and I hate every cunt in Derby so neither do I, but we both met each other in the party bar and hit off and started talking and stayed out and went to a nightclub. She's got good taste in music and we are basically the same age. Plus she catches on to me unparalleled wits when I'm taking the piss. And get this, during our chats, I didn't fucken say anything, but it emerged that she was a boxer!!!

She likes fighting!!
Well, are you and your lady friend still talking?

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
That bitch trumped on me. She knows I don't like it when women fart, so she purposely ran over and got me.