Personal I used to think XYZ comedian was funny then he started talking politics

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Yuki Nakai's Eye

Slow in the head, Quick in bed
Sep 2, 2015
I've been seeing these comments a lot around the interwebz. "Louis CK or Bill Burr used to be funny then they started talking about politics and I think they are horribly unfunny."

Why can't people divorce the two? I can appreciate someone's comedy or athleticism or whatever it is and just ignore whatever public comments they make about politics. It's really quite simple.

I'm a liberal Jew. You know whose movies I watch? Mel Gibson.

I also enjoy Frasier and the works of James Woods and Patricia Heaton.

Side note: although I DO understand if the comedians routines are tinged with politics. But mostly it seems like they speak on politics on talk shows or podcasts but there stand up routines usually seem to be separate from that.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
I've been seeing these comments a lot around the interwebz. "Louis CK or Bill Burr used to be funny then they started talking about politics and I think they are horribly unfunny."

Why can't people divorce the two? I can appreciate someone's comedy or athleticism or whatever it is and just ignore whatever public comments they make about politics. It's really quite simple.

Side note: although I DO understand if the comedians routines are tinged with politics. But mostly it seems like they speak on politics on talk shows or podcasts but there stand up routines usually seem to be separate from that.
Some people are nothing without their politics. Sad!
It is funny that a comedian is 'no longer funny' because you dislike their politics.
Likewise athletes or celebrities in general.
Our overlords have done a great job brainwashing people into taking 'sides' in a non-existent belief system.... pre-packaged labels for groupthink, and people actually fall for it so deeply they will defend it at all cost.
Disaster!

M

member 1013

I'm a Jew and I drive a Volkswagen

Which of us is worse bro?

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I agree with OP but sometimes it's just overbearing.

I grew up watching the Conan O'Brien show and love Andy Richter but I just can't follow him on Twitter because 99% of his Tweets are political. I don't want to be preached to by funny people. Okay, I get it, you hate the Republicans and think everyone should vote Democrat. Cool, that's your view and I respect that... but can you talk about something else every once and awhile? Fuck.

Works the other way too. I've had to unfollow a lot of right wing/libertarian people who I agree with politically because it's just POLITICS POLITICS POLITICS THEY'RE WRONG I'M RIGHT GRRRRR all the time. It gets old really quick. It's okay in small doses but there's more to life than politics.

But yeah in terms of just hating someone for their beliefs, I don't get that either.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Why can't the comedian divorce the two. They are the ones trying to make money off me.

M

member 3289

I used to think Robbie Hart @Song1 was funny until he banged that skank.

Wait no, I actually never thought he was funny.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I won't stop listening to a comedian just because of their political beliefs, but if their act is nothing but political shit? Yawn.

I do think Baldwin's Trump impersonation is hilarious.

Last edited:

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I think comedians routines are rooted in their lives and for many people, politics is inseparable from their life. It's a privilege to think of politics in the abstract. Policies on immigration are just abstractions if you don't know any immigrants or aren't one yourself. Policy debates on abortion or gun control don't mean as much if you're not a woman who's wrestled with an unwanted pregnancy or a person who enjoys shooting. Tax cuts for top income brackets can mean a lot if you're making decent money, but from another end could mean less money for other investment in government programs you or your friends might rely on.

The idea that politics represents some strange quasi abstract space that is separate from the rest of our lives is one of the greatest tricks of power. In that sense, everyone's comedy is political because even the absence of a need to comment on the state represents a certain element of comfort with it. Also, historically, comedy comes out of subversion of power, particularly monarchs who wouldn't suffer direct criticism. As far back as Plato, you have critiques of humor as being a problem because it a sign of being common, low, or vulgar. Aristotle disagreed and said it was a much needed form of critique, and maybe even a pressure valve for the population. So it was always tied to or had to be addressed by theories of power.

Sorry to pontificate. I'm teaching a class on humor right now. Clearly I'm a riot.

M

member 1013

I think comedians routines are rooted in their lives and for many people, politics is inseparable from their life. It's a privilege to think of politics in the abstract. Policies on immigration are just abstractions if you don't know any immigrants or aren't one yourself. Policy debates on abortion or gun control don't mean as much if you're not a woman who's wrestled with an unwanted pregnancy or a person who enjoys shooting. Tax cuts for top income brackets can mean a lot if you're making decent money, but from another end could mean less money for other investment in government programs you or your friends might rely on.

The idea that politics represents some strange quasi abstract space that is separate from the rest of our lives is one of the greatest tricks of power. In that sense, everyone's comedy is political because even the absence of a need to comment on the state represents a certain element of comfort with it. Also, historically, comedy comes out of subversion of power, particularly monarchs who wouldn't suffer direct criticism. As far back as Plato, you have critiques of humor as being a problem because it a sign of being common, low, or vulgar. Aristotle disagreed and said it was a much needed form of critique, and maybe even a pressure valve for the population. So it was always tied to or had to be addressed by theories of power.

Sorry to pontificate. I'm teaching a class on humor right now. Clearly I'm a riot.