General Japanese school lunch vs. American school lunch

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
School lunches in Japan tend to reflect the country’s homogenous food culture and include rice, rice-flour bread or noodles, soup, a main dish of fish or meat, one or two side dishes that are heavy on the veggies and legumes, milk, and, on special occasions only, dessert (cake at Christmas, star jellies for the Milky Way Lovers Festival, sweet rice cakes for Children’s Day, etc.). There are daily efforts to utilize locally produced rice, veggies, fish and milk. Attention is also paid to seasonally appropriate items like wild vegetable tempura in spring, summer vegetable curry in summer, sweet potatoes in the fall, and yellowtail cutlets in the winter.

Traditional Japanese food is some of the healthiest stuff in the world, and school lunches exhibit a serious effort to maintain that cultural palate. In Japan, many people believe that the flavors you desire most throughout your life are the ones you experience in the first three years. Stay-at-home parents and nursery schools that take care of very young children pay special attention to serving healthy, natural flavors without extra salt and sugar (i.e. plain rice porridge, fresh fruits, dried sweet potatoes, vegetable based crackers, barley tea, and so on).

Nutritionists are not opposed to utilizing an opportunity to try dishes from around the world, though. Sporting events like the Olympics and the World Cup often inspire menu planners to include famous foods of other countries, like Russian borscht or Brazilian beans and rice.

In the US, students can usually pick one of two entrees, usually a protein/carb mash-up like pizza pockets, a hamburger or pasta. They can choose from chocolate, strawberry or plain milk, and some schools with a high percentage of lactose-intolerant kids provide orange juice instead. Raw vegetables like lettuce, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and celery are offered on most days and usually with a choice of dressings. A side dish like baked beans may be found, too. Dessert comes in the form of fruit or fruit-based sweets like cinnamon applesauce. American lunches sometimes include store-bought bagged items like chips and cookies.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Those are all made on the same plate staged on the same table

they are therefore all lunches from the same location
I hope this isn't one of those threads designed to make one group of people feel badly about themselves when compared to other groups that are obviously better.

Would be even worse if it was fake news.

M

member 3289

Those are all made on the same plate staged on the same table

they are therefore all lunches from the same location
The wood grain in the table is clearly different for Brazil, Finland, and Ukraine.

You're the worst fake carpenter ever.

M

member 1013

The wood grain in the table is clearly different for Brazil, Finland, and Ukraine.

You're the worst fake carpenter ever.
I can see all the same knots and waves. Colour differentiates slightly which would suggest filter manipulation or a laminate product with predetermined patterns and slightly different “stains.”

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
I can see all the same knots and waves. Colour differentiates slightly which would suggest filter manipulation or a laminate product with predetermined patterns and slightly different “stains.”
Clearly they shipped the table and tray to each country. My goodness.

M

member 3289

M

member 1013

Clearly they shipped the table and tray to each country. My goodness.
Yes and I’m sure all the school cafeterias in the other countries had professional level plating whilst the curmudgeonly lunch lady in the states just slopped some shit onto the plate

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
We didn't even get school lunches, you whiny commie fucks.

We had to live off whatever random shit our deadbeat parents packed into our effeminate lunchboxes. Or make them pay exorbitant prices for gruel from a local slop dispenser that had an exclusive contract with the school, clearly greasing a couple of palms in order to grease up our McCain frozen pizzas between their fat, sweaty ass cheeks.

The attitude to poor kids starving here is literally "fuck em'. They can eat their own rugged individualism".

M

member 1013

We didn't even get school lunches, you whiny commie fucks.

We had to live off whatever random shit our deadbeat parents packed into our effeminate lunchboxes. Or make them pay exorbitant prices for gruel from a local slop dispenser that had an exclusive contract with the school, clearly greasing a couple of palms in order to grease up our McCain frozen pizzas between their fat, sweaty ass cheeks.

The attitude to poor kids starving here is literally "fuck em'. They can eat their own rugged individualism".
McCain is canadian

u welcome

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Also, why do people associate white rice with healthy meals?

It's literally one of the worst things you can eat.