Mackenzie Dern: ‘I can guarantee’ I won’t miss weight again

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Despite securing the biggest win of her career at UFC 224, strawweight prospect Mackenzie Dern was bombarded with criticism for entering her bout with Amanda Cooper a massive seven pounds overweight on fight night.

The multiple-time Brazilian Jiu Jitsu world champion was fined 30 percent of her fight purse and voluntarily gave Cooper fifteen percent of her win bonus as a token of gratitude for accepting the bout despite the weight cutting complications, according to a recent interview with Ariel Helwani.

“I’m not surprised. She got 30 percent of the purse, which was my penalty — usually it’s only 20 percent, but because I was so much heavier it went up to 30 percent,” Dern said on…

Mackenzie Dern: ‘I can guarantee’ I won’t miss weight again

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
She does know these are just commercials, right...

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I didn't read the article, but is she moving up a weight class or are they forming an absolute division?

M

member 603

How is all of this NOT fighter bashing?

In all seriousness though, she made a poor choice and owned it, admitted to just partying and not training, and it costed her financially and in the court of public opinion...... She realized the mistake she made, and has vowed to take this career seriously. In a participation trophy society, where the trend is "blame everyone else for your shortcomings" (looking at you JJ), I'm glad she is owning it, and making the proper steps to correct it. Now it's on her, let's see if she's good for her word here.

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
For those who didn’t read. Cliff notes

-She gave Cooper 15% of her win purse voluntarily for taking the fight, on top of the 30% she was fined. Usually 20%, but the amount of weight upped it.

-She laughed at memes of hamburgers in her hand. She was also ashamed.

-Will work with UFC Performance Center. She wants to stay at 115, but if they said nope, she’d move to 125.

No real opinion on this. Cool of her to give 15% though.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015

In all seriousness though, she made a poor choice and owned it, admitted to just partying and not training, and it costed her financially and in the court of public opinion...... She realized the mistake she made, and has vowed to take this career seriously. In a participation trophy society, where the trend is "blame everyone else for your shortcomings" (looking at you JJ), I'm glad she is owning it, and making the proper steps to correct it. Now it's on her, let's see if she's good for her word here.
I was not trying to bash her, just making a joke. I am a fan of hers and she is extremely talented.

aghof

an person
Apr 15, 2015
she's already doing sleep and massage to cut weight - only one thing is missing from her regimen

M

member 3289

Lol owned it my ass. She blamed, let's see, the Brazilian athletic commission, the flight, people who kept giving her water on the flight and a bunch of others I can't remember.

You don't have to stick up for her just because she's a fellow pajama warrior...

M

member 603

Lol owned it my ass. She blamed, let's see, the Brazilian athletic commission, the flight, people who kept giving her water on the flight and a bunch of others I can't remember.

You don't have to stick up for her just because she's a fellow pajama warrior...
The same way that you don't have to defend Artem and Dillon because you too enjoy the taste of an Irishman's cock and balls...... I bet you have a closet filled with shiny shirts that you wear while banging your gimp HVD, don't you?..... Yeah ya do fuck boi, yeah ya do.

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015

The same way that you don't have to defend Artem and Dillon because you too enjoy the taste of an Irishman's cock and balls...... I bet you have a closet filled with shiny shirts that you wear while banging your gimp HVD, don't you?..... Yeah ya do fuck boi, yeah ya do.

LizaG

On Your Face
Nov 8, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not holding my breath given her attitude.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016

I think the issue is she missed weight once, then missed weight again and tried to make it seem like she didn’t,

Mackenzie Dern unable to make contracted weight, LFA fight changed to catchweight

And once again she misses weight for her second Fight in the UFC.

She’s repeatedly said that she’ll make weight but continually doesn’t. That’s why she gets the shit she does and frankly after three times disrespecting her opponents by coming in heavy, she deserves it.

M

member 603

I think the issue is she missed weight once, then missed weight again and tried to make it seem like she didn’t,

Mackenzie Dern unable to make contracted weight, LFA fight changed to catchweight

And once again she misses weight for her second Fight in the UFC.

She’s repeatedly said that she’ll make weight but continually doesn’t. That’s why she gets the shit she does and frankly after three times disrespecting her opponents by coming in heavy, she deserves it.
No I see the trend, she's been lazy in her MMA career..... Which is funny because she was a super hard worker in BJJ. I don't know her, I can't speak her mindset, but I know fighters.... If a fighter can get by doing the minimum, at times they will. She sees now, in order to make the weight/keep the fans/get the promotional push, she has to work harder than she's shown so far. This is a new direction, let's see if she's serious.