General Make Austin Great Again

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Ever considered moving? Russia is great this time of year.....
Yep, we've been considering moving for the past several years. Russia isn't really what we had in mind though...

We're sticking around for a while longer because of our jobs, but we have no intention to be here permanently. That and we're trying to plan our move strategically and financially. We bought our house when the market was shit which allows us to keep our monthly burn rate low, which allows us to save more money for another house. It's impossible to buy a house in Austin now for what we paid. In the past 8 years my house has almost doubled in value. I'm hanging on to this house for a long time, even after we move. This house is the first real estate investment we've made, and we're trying to maximize the benefit out of it.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Have you tried one? They are delicious
I have, and it was made by a proper bartender. Like most mixed drinks they're an attempt to mask the taste of something that's already fucking great, but not for everyone. If you need to have brown liquor but it's just too damn manly for you there are significantly less complicated alternatives. Crown and coke for example is more delicious, isn't a pain in the ass to make, and doesn't make you look like a pretentious ass when you order one.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
If you're in Austin and order an Old Fashioned, you're a hipster.
Nah, hipsters here don't drink Old Fashioneds (although we don't spend a lot of time out at bars, so I may be out of touch with the current hipster trends). It's PBR and mezcal cocktails for them right now. Mezcal sucks ass IMO, but a lot of hipster-y places are riding that train now. And vape pens (i.e. douche flutes). The vape pens are the real give away :)

Bourbon primarily, but other whiskeys too, is my go to, and an Old Fashioned is the only whiskey cocktail I'll actually drink. Usually straight up or with an ice cube for me, but Old Fashioneds are damn tasty.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I have, and it was made by a proper bartender. Like most mixed drinks they're an attempt to mask the taste of something that's already fucking great, but not for everyone. If you need to have brown liquor but it's just too damn manly for you there are significantly less complicated alternatives. Crown and coke for example is more delicious, isn't a pain in the ass to make, and doesn't make you look like a pretentious ass when you order one.
I ordered a crown and Coke, an old fashioned and a modelo.

They would only sell me one at a time

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
There are no skinny jeans or Tom's in my closet. And I have no tattoos. Try again!

I'm more of a hippie than a hipster.
I didn't call you a hipster.

Although, you did previously talk about SXSW being too crowded now, which is a hisptery thing to say. You're on notice.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I didn't call you a hipster.

Although, you did previously talk about SXSW being too crowded now, which is a hisptery thing to say. You're on notice.
Lol, my bad - thought you quoted me instead of Song.

I think you're off though. Hipsters don't complain about that shit here, they love it. I leave town when SXSW and ACL are going on. Great time to plan mountain biking trips :)

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Lol, my bad - thought you quoted me instead of Song.

I think you're off though. Hipsters don't complain about that shit here, they love it. I leave town when SXSW and ACL are going on. Great time to plan mountain biking trips :)
Preferred it before it was cool, did we?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Preferred it before it was cool, did we?
Preferred it when it was cool, not before :D

In all honesty, big events like that aren't really my thing so I've never really been a fan of either. I did SXSW in 2004, and did the first couple years of ACL. It was ok I guess, but I've never cared enough to go back to either. Plus it's pretty expensive now. Now I'm just the old curmudgeon who hates it when his town is overrun by young idiots for two weeks at a time

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I fucking hate Austin. Tons of young liberals and gays move there from my area of Louisiana. I'm more of a rural Houston area guy myself.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Saying that im in Texas and last night they wouldn't sell me more than one drink at a time.

I thought this was where stone cold is from?
The odd thing is that steve austin actually brews his beer in California,texas is actually pretty bad at producing beer. to rub dirt in the wound he also made it a california style ipa instead of lager or a pale ale or even a brown or red ale which would be more Texan .

Broken Skull IPA | El Segundo Brewing Company

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Used to have relations with a girl from Austin. She said I'd love it there, then she stopped seeing me because I am a "belligerent drunk" she did turn me on to game of thrones tho so not all bitch.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
i give it less than 3 weeks before there's a picture of a guy in Portland holding the same sign, but with "Portland" instead of "Austin"

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
Austin's population is getting out of control. The urban sprawl is rampant and only getting worse.

Some of the recent numbers for Austin:

- average is 110 people move here each day

- the population here increased in 2016 by over 58k. That number factors in 40,273 migrants 27,375 births and 10,304 deaths, plus some statistical adjustments, the regional population climbed by 58,301 to an estimated 2,056,405

- the prediction is that the population will hit 3 million by 2030

We feel like our days our numbered here, it's just getting too hectic in Austin. We don't have any immediate plans, but I think somewhere down the road we will move somewhere a little quieter and calmer. On the positive side, I'm really glad we bought a house when the market was crap back in 2008 :D

Honest question:
What's the deal with Austin and Californians?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Honest question:
What's the deal with Austin and Californians?
I'm not a native to Austin, but I'll try to answer this as I understand it.

For one, Austin just isn't the sleepy little cool town that it used to be. It's becoming a big city and some folks that have been here for a long time get salty about the changes associated with that.

As for why Californians are singled out, I think it is because for the large part they aren't coming here to assimilate in to Austin. They show up and want to make Austin more like California. A lot of these folks show up here with a lot of money, let's say from selling a house in San Francisco or Los Angeles. The kind of money they make on a house out there allows them to buy in the nicest neighborhoods in town, which has become something out of reach for many native Austinites (the housing market/cost of living is way ahead of salaries here). So maybe it's jealousy to an extent.

Here's an example: I know a guy that moved from LA, sold his house there for 2.3 million. Came here and bought in one of the most desirable neighborhoods and kept over a million dollars in the bank. He's kind of a braggart, so when he constantly tells his story to locals and always mentions how he hasn't had to work for the last 3 years, and how nice his house is, and how big of a pool he just had installed, etc., it rubs them them wrong way. This has happened a bunch in the last 5 to 10 years - desirable neighborhoods become farther out of reach each year for those that are from here or been here for a long time, and they're all getting snagged up migrants (many of which are Californians). A lot of these guys with money will come in and buy a house in a nice historic neighborhood, just to then knock it down and build some post-modern monstrosity. There have been a lot of situations like that, and it totally fucks their neighbors on taxes down the road. There are a lot of neighborhoods here now where the annual property taxes are $12-15k per year, some areas even higher.

Another example: Some rich dude from California bought a nice condo downtown. Over the next year or so he was calling the police almost every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night to file noise complaints against bars that had live music. So, he moved to the city known as the "Live Music Capital of the World", bought a place right where a lot of the venues are, and then tried to sue a bunch of the bars and get them shut down. I don't think anything ever really happened, but he made a big stink and got in the papers a bunch. This is the part about not assimilating to Austin. He thought he could come here and buy a place, and then change his neighborhood to suit him better. Maybe not the best example, but it was in the papers a lot for a while.

Me personally, I don't really give two shits. Austin's growth rate has made my house worth a lot more money, so someday I'll be able to cash in on that. The downside is that property taxes are skyrocketing. We don't plan on being here forever though, so I try not to get worked up over any of this. Plus, I'm a migrant to Austin myself, so I don't have a lot of room to criticize :)