General Oldtimers: When did you really start feeling it?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mutant

Citizen of the Infernal Empire
Oct 20, 2015
Pretty much the same, even if I go to bed at 9 I'm not sleeping til 11-midnight.
And I feel like death..

I had the misfortune of being raised by a hippie artist that loved to party and have people over. Constantly.

My 'sleep window' was programmed into me and I've never been able to break it.

Those 5 hrs between 11-4 are more like survival foxhole sleep than actual restorative rest.

But if I can sleep the 5hrs between 5am-10am I feel completely restored.
Because thats when it was quiet and 'safe' enough to sleep when I was a little bastard.
But the world doesn't work that way and no real job works that schedule.
I used to be 1am to 6am but I had to start taking Trazadone to sleep at all!

Scrnmn

Aug 13, 2024
59yo here. Some days I feel like I'm in my 30's, other days I feel like...59.

I'm still in decent shape, but motivation is lacking more nowadays.

Sgt_Slaphead

Aug 16, 2024
Pretty much the same, even if I go to bed at 9 I'm not sleeping til 11-midnight.
And I feel like death..

I had the misfortune of being raised by a hippie artist that loved to party and have people over. Constantly.

My 'sleep window' was programmed into me and I've never been able to break it.

Those 5 hrs between 11-4 are more like survival foxhole sleep than actual restorative rest.

But if I can sleep the 5hrs between 5am-10am I feel completely restored.
Because thats when it was quiet and 'safe' enough to sleep when I was a little bastard.
But the world doesn't work that way and no real job works that schedule.
THIS IS ME...5-1030 and I am good! Its the best sleep for me

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I felt pretty much like a teenager until my early 40’s. I was training BJJ/MMA at least once a day and lifting as well.
Mid-40’s: competing started getting harder, and rolling hard with the young bucks was getting less fun.
Late 40’s: started getting injured increasingly frequently even when training lighter
50 now: have not been able to train in nearly a year, and for about the past 5 months I have been so tired I have trouble making it through a normal workday. The recent fatigue is likely due to a medical issue- but we have not identified exactly what the issue is as of yet

billyball2

Jun 29, 2021
Like others, 46 was the age where I started feeling older.

54 now and pain is a constant companion, but nothing that prevents me from sleeping or working out.

At the gym I have to do a couple of sets with light weights to work the pain out of my joints before I can lift anything heavy.,

izan

Aug 13, 2024
Some good advice I got several years ago.
As you get older more of your workout needs to focus on warming up and colling down. At 20 a 60 minute workout would be 5 minute warm up, 50 minutes workout, 5 minute cool down.
Add 5 minutes to warm up and cool down at 30.
Add 5 minutes at 40.
Add 5 minutes at 50.
So now my 1 hour work out is a 20 minute warm up, 20 minutes of work out, 20 minutes of cool down.

At 50 I also added a mobility routine that I do every morning. I can and will skip workouts, but if I skip the mobility work I am going to have a day filled with little bursts of "what the hell was that" from my hips, knees and back.

MountainMedic

Rock Kicker
Sep 28, 2017
Some good advice I got several years ago.
As you get older more of your workout needs to focus on warming up and colling down. At 20 a 60 minute workout would be 5 minute warm up, 50 minutes workout, 5 minute cool down.
Add 5 minutes to warm up and cool down at 30.
Add 5 minutes at 40.
Add 5 minutes at 50.
So now my 1 hour work out is a 20 minute warm up, 20 minutes of work out, 20 minutes of cool down.

At 50 I also added a mobility routine that I do every morning. I can and will skip workouts, but if I skip the mobility work I am going to have a day filled with little bursts of "what the hell was that" from my hips, knees and back.
54. If I don't stay on my mobility routine I backslide significantly and set myself up for injury doing simple shit.

It's frustrating as hell, I'm still abnormally strong. But all that means is that I can tear myself apart easily doing simple minor tasks.
This reality honestly never occurred to me and probably why I kept getting hurt in my 40s.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
After an otj injury, about 10 years later I went back to college for retraining.
There were cane days & I had to wear a back brace under my clothes & often arm and knee braces.
I was getting hit on my Japanese hotties & turned them down, and for that felt old.
Looked good enough on the outside, but you can't hide tattoos that are older than they are, or the fact i'm not convinced stay strong pills wouldn't kill me.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
💯
My posting history tells the story.
I call my bedroom "The War Room"

If there's one thing I can't stand it's the pharmacist telling me to be careful with my meds monthly, as if I haven't been in this trench for 20 years.

ChuckSchick

Lurker
Sep 13, 2024
50 for sure. Hit that milestone 11 months ago. My dad died three weeks later, had a colonoscopy three weeks after that (piece of cake, no homo), then had a vitreous fluid detachment in my left eye this past spring that resulted in a constant floater in my vision. This past summer brought a lot of anxiety and near panic attacks. Maybe it's a testosterone thing. Fuck getting old, but it beats the alternative.

HARLEM

Double-hard bastard
Feb 25, 2015
50 for sure. Hit that milestone 11 months ago. My dad died three weeks later, had a colonoscopy three weeks after that (piece of cake, no homo), then had a vitreous fluid detachment in my left eye this past spring that resulted in a constant floater in my vision. This past summer brought a lot of anxiety and near panic attacks. Maybe it's a testosterone thing. Fuck getting old, but it beats the alternative.
you can have the floater removed with a vitrectomy if it becomes too bothersome to avoid. Not a difficult procedure.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Sheepishly gonna say I’m 54
I probably felt it a few years ago and particularly tied to a car accident I was in earlier this year that I’m still getting work done on. My body is just tired and when I’m off work I just sleep the entire weekend.

kvr28

Ghost of KVR
Nov 22, 2015
I felt old when I no longer wanted to build shit, between the house in 2009 and everything else we have done since then up to the cabin, I'm just done. I want to build a garage and have several quotes coming in because I just don't want to do it. 35 I would be like fuck yeah, let's start digging.

Last edited:

Thuglife13

✝🫅🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
Sorry about your father fam. Everyday is such a gift...

cruedi

Sep 14, 2017
I’m in my late fifties now. I find I really need to eat better. As close to keto and IF makes me feel much better, but I still battle my weight. When I eat lots of carbs over time like holidays/ travel etc my feet hurt when I walk

MountainMedic

Rock Kicker
Sep 28, 2017
I’m in my late fifties now. I find I really need to eat better. As close to keto and IF makes me feel much better, but I still battle my weight. When I eat lots of carbs over time like holidays/ travel etc my feet hurt when I walk
I just struggle to eat anything.
I have almost no appetite anymore.

cruedi

Sep 14, 2017
I just struggle to eat anything.
I have almost no appetite anymore.
Sitting watching football I just want to make pizza and wings, pull out some chips. Instead I’m sitting here with some water with lemon in it. I’ve got to work a little tonight after I’ll have some whiskey, but only one (maybe 2). Ten years ago I’d have finished my first 6 pack by now

HARLEM

Double-hard bastard
Feb 25, 2015
Yea. I stopped drinking beer years ago unless I am over at someone’s house. I don’t need the carbs/calories. But regular liquor is fine