General Oldtimers: When did you really start feeling it?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sgt_Slaphead

Aug 16, 2024
I just struggle to eat anything.
I have almost no appetite anymore.
since my wife passed, im eating more crap abd drinking too much. And Im cranking workouts, only to neglect myself for several days.....fucking manic almost.

My youngest git hit with 🤷 and ended up referred to womens&childrens ER, but after5hrs we got kicked loose.....my life was circling the shitter for a few days.

Sometimes I feel like i dont have much left in me.

izan

Aug 13, 2024
since my wife passed, im eating more crap abd drinking too much. And Im cranking workouts, only to neglect myself for several days.....fucking manic almost.

My youngest git hit with 🤷 and ended up referred to womens&childrens ER, but after5hrs we got kicked loose.....my life was circling the shitter for a few days.

Sometimes I feel like i dont have much left in me.
That is rough. I think in a man's life there is going to be many occasions where your tank is empty. It is always harder when you are having to watch people you care about go though the hard times. I don't think we stick around for us, we stick around to help the people we care about. At the core of a man's purpose is sacrifice. We sacrifice to create/make things better for the people we love. I think that their is great nobility and honor in the those times.
Honor is a gift a man gives himself. When you give you labor, your heart, your time, your money, and, sometimes you feel like your very soul, to make things better for the people you love, you are living a life of honor. This is how we, as men, honor God, and honor our role as provider and protector.
What you are doing is honorable, and, even when you cannot connect to that feeling, it is still valuable and important.

Rakoshi

Elder Statesman
Nov 18, 2023
Not really until I turned 70. (I am 73 now, almost 74.). CoVid crazy year then my Dad died under tragic circumstances (he was 93), my heart problems resurfaced and some days I just ache (weather changes, over exertion, when my heart is out of rhythm, etc.) Had to get hearing aids about a year ago. Some days I feel fine, others I just feel old. IMG_6281.jpeg

meatplow

Aug 13, 2024
I'm 53. Most days are ok, some not so much. I have a bunch of joint issues from my time in the Navy. 28-years walking around on steel ships takes a ton. I find that if I do something simple first thing in the morning like leg raises, push-ups and squats gets my body primed for the day. I drink a few cups of coffee and get in a KB session for 20-30 minutes and then eat a decent size breakfast with about a 1/2 dozen scrambled eggs and water. Salad with tuna for lunch and another salad with meat for dinner. I usually go to bed around 8-9 and get up every day at 4. The days I skip the mobility type stuff first thing are a bit painful, so I try and do that if I do anything at all.

Meohfumado

Nerd of Nerds
Aug 13, 2024
I had more than a couple surgeries and injuries growing up. So I knew aging wasn't going to be fun. Didn't expect to age like milk though. Then again I started losing my hair at 20, so maybe I should've seen it coming, lol

But at 36 I began having acute issues with my back which I injured first playing baseball of all things in HS. Dove back into 2nd base on a pick-off attempt, and pitcher threw the ball into center field, and SS did the old "Oops I fell over onto the runner," and basically did a knee drop onto my spine.

Turns out it wasn't just that old injury, I basically have saltine crackers masquerading as discs in my spine, had to get a epidural at one point just to walk, and then got addicted to pain meds dealing with the consistent pain and muscle spasms, sciatica the works.

But I got clean, got my weight down, do my PT, and now I just deal with the consistent pain on a daily basis any way I can without opiates. I can't sit upright in a chair for more than 30-45 minutes, and less than that if it's a shitty chair like typical stadium seating. So even sitting in goods seats at hockey games, I'm standing up at every stoppage in play just to stretch, and I take a lap around the arena between every period. Long drives aren't fun either, and are guaranteed to lead to a couple days of unpleasantness.

Lifting at all isn't much of an option. Docs say to make sure I bend my knees even if its just lifting a gallon of milk up from the bottom shelf at the market. So my only workouts are really just the PT exercises and walking on the treadmill, getting my steps in.

Now I'm turning 49, and things are getting worse of course. Used to be only my lower back that was a problem (L4-L5) but now my neck is almost as bad as my lower back. I tend to have shooting pain going down at least two limbs every day, usually left arm and right leg, but some days I get to enjoy all four. Also a lot of numbness and tingling at times, and other phantom pains because my spine is lying to me. Half the days it feels like a Hobbit is stabbing me in the calf, but I look down and can see that isn't the case.

It's to the point that whenever I run into a friend or family member, the first thing they ask me is, "How is your back?" because everybody I know has probably seen me hobbling about at some point in time, or had me cancel something and not show up because I couldn't make it because of my back.

And the worst of all is the affect it has on my sleep. I've always been a bit of an insomniac, but I used to be able to play catch-up and sleep like 12-16 hours sometimes and refresh. Now I'm lucky if I get five or six hours, usually I make due with 3-4 and try to sneak in a 45 min nap at some point in the day. But basically sleep is my White Whale now.

My 50's and 60's are clearly going to suck assuming I'm lucky enough to make it that far.

MountainMedic

Rock Kicker
Sep 28, 2017
I just deal with the consistent pain on a daily basis any way I can without opiates
Had a career ending back injury in 2020.
Only smart thing I did was refused opiates from the jump. I knew I wasn't going to fully recover and drugs would be a great place to hide from that reality. Went down the oxy path when I shattered my hip in 05. Kicked on my own and swore never again.

Meohfumado

Nerd of Nerds
Aug 13, 2024
Had a career ending back injury in 2020.
Only smart thing I did was refused opiates from the jump. I knew I wasn't going to fully recover and drugs would be a great place to hide from that reality. Went down the oxy path when I shattered my hip in 05. Kicked on my own and swore never again.
Yeah, I realized one day I was pushing for a re-up on the prescription, and it wasn't because my back hurt, it was because my entire body ached and itched. And at that point I took a week's vacation, locked myself in my apt, and went cold turkey and never looked back. Wasn't fun, think I didn't sleep for a good long while, full on hallucinations yet not quite Trainspotting level.

Now whenever somebody asks what pain pills I'm on I drop Merlin's line...

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I broke my clavicle at age 36 and it was then and there that I discovered that your body heals worse it heals slower your bones and muscles past age 35.

it took me 8 months to regain full function of my arm.

had I suffered that injury in my teens or 20s my ortho doctor said it would have healed in 4 months.