Parenting: the Official TMMAC Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Text from my 13 year old asking me to pick him up from school.

Dearest Mother,

It has been so long since I left you to serve my country as a citizen. This place is bad, and it's getting more dreary by the minute. It would be most appreciated if you would pick me up.

Your Loving son,
Jarrett

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

Dearest Mother,

It has been so long since I left you to serve my country as a citizen. This place is bad, and it's getting more dreary by the minute. It would be most appreciated if you would pick me up.

Your Loving son,
Jarrett
Smart ass.

Dashabox

Fi fie fo fum
Dec 7, 2017

Dearest Mother,

Your Loving son,
Jarrett
You have to be British, right?

Dashabox

Fi fie fo fum
Dec 7, 2017
Not sure if this is in the spirit of the thread of not but...

For a couple of months I have been trying to get my daughter to give me a kiss. She kisses all of her toys and stuffed animals but will not give me a kiss. The other day, while I was sitting on the couch with her (She was standing to wave at the neighbors out of the window) and she looked at me, got a serious look on her face, slowly and awkwardly leaned in with her mouth open and gave me a kiss. At the risk of sounding like a gay I will never forget that moment for as long as I live; that was one of the greatest moments in my life.

She is 11 months old BTW.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
At the risk of sounding like a gay
I don't know what that means in this context. I think you can take it out. Many people on this site would say and have said things like that in relation to their children. You sound like maybe you have ptsd from other forums.

Dashabox

Fi fie fo fum
Dec 7, 2017
I don't know what that means in this context. I think you can take it out. Many people on this site would say and have said things like that in relation to their children. You sound like maybe you have ptsd from other forums.
Lol yeah you are right. But that is just my attempt to hide and protect my big, soft heart. Time to grab a beer.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Not sure if this is in the spirit of the thread of not but...

For a couple of months I have been trying to get my daughter to give me a kiss. She kisses all of her toys and stuffed animals but will not give me a kiss. The other day, while I was sitting on the couch with her (She was standing to wave at the neighbors out of the window) and she looked at me, got a serious look on her face, slowly and awkwardly leaned in with her mouth open and gave me a kiss. At the risk of sounding like a gay I will never forget that moment for as long as I live; that was one of the greatest moments in my life.

She is 11 months old BTW.
That's awesome.

Kids really get ya in the feels. And enjoy that while you can.

Dashabox

Fi fie fo fum
Dec 7, 2017
That's awesome.

Kids really get ya in the feels. And enjoy that while you can.
Before I had a kid I had a feel, now I have feels and it is terrifying if I am being honest.

Since this is the parenting thread and you obviously have kids can I ask some advice?

My little girl is undersized, the Dr's are a little concerned about her weight and she just isn't a big eater. We try feeding her all the time to get some weight on her but we don't want her to get upset and equate eating with something negative. Question is; any tips or tricks to get a 1 year old to eat more? I know all kids are different and like different foods but maybe you know a technique we could try or maybe a product to use.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Before I had a kid I had a feel, now I have feels and it is terrifying if I am being honest.

Since this is the parenting thread and you obviously have kids can I ask some advice?

My little girl is undersized, the Dr's are a little concerned about her weight and she just isn't a big eater. We try feeding her all the time to get some weight on her but we don't want her to get upset and equate eating with something negative. Question is; any tips or tricks to get a 1 year old to eat more? I know all kids are different and like different foods but maybe you know a technique we could try or maybe a product to use.
Since she is 1, does that mean you are giving up formula? Have you talked to the doctor about pediasure or something like that?

What kinds of foods does she eat? Maybe there are ways to simply add extra calories. E.g. my son loves quinoa, so if I thought he needed to gain weight I would just add fat to the cooking process.

If she's drinking dairy milk or eating dairy yogurt, make sure it's whole milk. Use whole milk in your pancakes too. Making fun shapes can help too.

If you aren't giving her dairy, remember almond milk doesn't have much protein - it's not a nutritional replacement for dairy.

Be careful of natural and organic products, because that doesn't actually indicate nutrition. Annie's is a brand I really don't trust; I feel they make organic junk food. And their plain yogurt - I looked at the ingredients and it contains organic tapioca starch. None of that stuff in the organic valley yogurt I give my son.

Shinkicker @Shinkicker is a nurse, so she might have other ideas.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016

The only time that I ever had a problem with that, my grandmother told me, "when he gets hungry he will eat." I quit worrying about it and it resolved itself.

However, I'd do whatever my doctor recommended.

Did the doctor bring it up? Or did he seem concerned after you or mom brought it up? If you bring anything up they will act somewhat concerned so you don't feel he isn't attentive. Don't be shy about asking the doctor for suggestions.

Find something she likes and have it more often. And make sure you are trying a variety of foods. My boys would get "hooked" on one thing and eat it as much as possible. Then one day they suddenly wouldn't touch it. I'd have to find the next go to food.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Since she is 1, does that mean you are giving up formula? Have you talked to the doctor about pediasure or something like that?

What kinds of foods does she eat? Maybe there are ways to simply add extra calories. E.g. my son loves quinoa, so if I thought he needed to gain weight I would just add fat to the cooking process.

If she's drinking dairy milk or eating dairy yogurt, make sure it's whole milk. Use whole milk in your pancakes too. Making fun shapes can help too.

If you aren't giving her dairy, remember almond milk doesn't have much protein - it's not a nutritional replacement for dairy.

Be careful of natural and organic products, because that doesn't actually indicate nutrition. Annie's is a brand I really don't trust; I feel they make organic junk food. And their plain yogurt - I looked at the ingredients and it contains organic tapioca starch. None of that stuff in the organic valley yogurt I give my son.

Great advice!

You are a better mom than me. I was going to suggest ice cream for add on weight. Lol

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015

I worried about my son’s small portion habits at one point, now he eats like a freaking monster.
I would agree with nuraknu @nuraknu, if you’re worried about her weight, adding fats to her diet will definitely help.
One thing I learned is not to force the issue. I freaked out quite a few times, but they know what they’re doing when it comes to food... somehow.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Great advice!

You are a better mom than me. I was going to suggest ice cream for add on weight. Lol
If it works! Lol. I would give him anything if I got really desperate.

Some kinds of foods would constipate my son at that age - ice cream was one of them. Plain scrambled eggs. Also Greek yogurt. I used to use regular yogurt and mix some baby prunes in.

My son also had acid reflux. We bought a wedge made to fit under his crib mattress, and that helped.

Avocado is also a high fat food my son loved when he was younger.

Dashabox

Fi fie fo fum
Dec 7, 2017

Hey thanks for the response, it means a lot to me.

She has only had breast milk, no formula or cows milk. She will eat some solids, which we soften but takes a long time and she will only eat so much. She is a tad under 15 lbs, to give you an idea of how small she is. We have regular visits with the family Dr and a pediatrician who assures us that she is very healthy and everything is fine, they would just like to see her maintain her weight increase even though she is on the lowest level of the growth chart. The real problem (To us, not the Dr's) is that in the past week she hasn't been eating as much, but she is teething and we were wondering if that might contribute to her irritability and not wanting to sit and eat as much, which is why we have been trying to fit in an extra snack or two to make up for the caloric losses.

Sorry if I am all over the place here, I had a couple beers since the wife and kid are out all day...
She eats pablum cereal, fruits and veggies (Steamed), sometimes chopped or blended. Chicken, beef and some fish. Peanut butter etc. We are trying to give her a wide range of foods .

I think she is just a small girl, my sisters daughter was about the same size and weight at this age, plus my wife is Asian so maybe that adds to the petiteness. Where I am really sort of worried is that she has fallen off eating a bit in the past week: teething and perhaps just a faze?

I will look into specifically adding higher caloric foods though as you suggest, my go to is peanut butter but I dont want to over do it with that.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
My boys would get "hooked" on one thing and eat it as much as possible.
I have found this to be true of my son, for sure. He used to want avocado all the time, now he won't eat it. Also oranges - I used to supreme navel oranges for him and he loved them, now he won't touch them.

I am starting to get nervous because he's going through a no-veg phase. I'm going to let him earn stickers for his chart if he eats them. I also have to start baking again so I can make him pumpkin or carrot muffins.

Only problem is he won't eat meatloaf or ravioli anymore (just fish sticks and chicken nuggets), which is how I used to hide all his greens. Zucchini in doesn't really have enough value; imo it's a filler for people who need to keep their weight down. So I need to find a new way to feed him spinach and broccoli.

Dashabox

Fi fie fo fum
Dec 7, 2017
The only time that I ever had a problem with that, my grandmother told me, "when he gets hungry he will eat." I quit worrying about it and it resolved itself.

However, I'd do whatever my doctor recommended.

Did the doctor bring it up? Or did he seem concerned after you or mom brought it up? If you bring anything up they will act somewhat concerned so you don't feel he isn't attentive. Don't be shy about asking the doctor for suggestions.

Find something she likes and have it more often. And make sure you are trying a variety of foods. My boys would get "hooked" on one thing and eat it as much as possible. Then one day they suddenly wouldn't touch it. I'd have to find the next go to food.
Thanks for the response

See my reply to Nuraknu for some added details as it is too long to type out and bog the thread out.

Our family Dr was concerned about her weight and growth and referred us to a pediatrician.

First visit to the Pediatrician he got her naked and said "Nice bum!" Because she had a nice fat bum (God that sounds bad but it is a good thing for a babies health) So he said he was happy with her because she had a "Nice" bum and legs, meaning they were fat like a healthy baby and his thought was that she was just a small baby, with a small frame but had nice fat on her. My sister's daughter was the same way so it may just be heriditary (Yeah I can't spell that word lol) with no issues.

To sum it up: GP worried, Pediatrician not worried, parents a little worried.

She is teething, very irritable a couple days this past week and she has been eating about 75% of what she normally would. I'm not about to call 911 or anything but I would like to see her climb the growth chart a bit but maybe genetics can not be beat???

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
Thanks for the response

See my reply to Nuraknu for some added details as it is too long to type out and bog the thread out.

Our family Dr was concerned about her weight and growth and referred us to a pediatrician.

First visit to the Pediatrician he got her naked and said "Nice bum!" Because she had a nice fat bum (God that sounds bad but it is a good thing for a babies health) So he said he was happy with her because she had a "Nice" bum and legs, meaning they were fat like a healthy baby and his thought was that she was just a small baby, with a small frame but had nice fat on her. My sister's daughter was the same way so it may just be heriditary (Yeah I can't spell that word lol) with no issues.

To sum it up: GP worried, Pediatrician not worried, parents a little worried.

She is teething, very irritable a couple days this past week and she has been eating about 75% of what she normally would. I'm not about to call 911 or anything but I would like to see her climb the growth chart a bit but maybe genetics can not be beat???
Teething can play a huge part in it.

Dashabox

Fi fie fo fum
Dec 7, 2017
I worried about my son’s small portion habits at one point, now he eats like a freaking monster.
I would agree with nuraknu @nuraknu, if you’re worried about her weight, adding fats to her diet will definitely help.
One thing I learned is not to force the issue. I freaked out quite a few times, but they know what they’re doing when it comes to food... somehow.
Glad to hear your son is doing well. Yeah we don't push the issue when feeding because we are afraid of turning her off of eating. I think you are all right in that it will sort itself out but it is hard not to worry when you are in the middle of it. Thanks!

Dashabox

Fi fie fo fum
Dec 7, 2017
Oh

Some kinds of foods would constipate my son at that age - ice cream was one of them. Plain scrambled eggs. Also Greek yogurt. I used to use regular yogurt and mix some baby prunes in.

My son also had acid reflux. We bought a wedge made to fit under his crib mattress, and that helped.

ooh avocado! We havent tried that yet, we were supposed to last week but we made guacamole instead.......eesh.
Will try that.

Dashabox

Fi fie fo fum
Dec 7, 2017

Tell me more about this chart? I am a woodworker, I will make the shit out of a chart if it will get her to eat better/more calories in the future.