Photoshop thread for tips and advice

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
k cool.

your Timeline is open at the bottom. That is only needed for GIF animation. So if you could close that window.

Go to WINDOW at the top and uncheck TIMELINE

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
alright looking good. and now we take a 15 minute break for all the hard work we've done.

hehe. k so next step it looks to me is that Masato has used a paper texture for the background. So we can find a paper texture in google.

So Google: Paper Texture

and hit images to see the selection. You can choose one you like. I found this one that looks similar:

http://demilked.uuuploads.com/free-paper-textures/free-paper-texture-2.jpg

Make a folder called Nick Diaz poster or whatever and place the picture there. This is the folder all our clip art will go.

Then drag the paper texture from the folder into photoshop and it will create a new layer.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
also it would be helpful to you if you made your layers palette higher so you can see all the layers

right click on the LIBRARIES tab and click "CLOSE TAB GROUP"

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
alright looking good. and now we take a 15 minute break for all the hard work we've done.

hehe. k so next step it looks to me is that Masato has used a paper texture for the background. So we can find a paper texture in google.

So Google: Paper Texture

and hit images to see the selection. You can choose one you like. I found this one that looks similar:

http://demilked.uuuploads.com/free-paper-textures/free-paper-texture-2.jpg

Make a folder called Nick Diaz poster or whatever and place the picture there. This is the folder all our clip art will go.

Then drag the paper texture from the folder into photoshop and it will create a new layer.
File made, paper texture saved then dragged over. It came up a touch smaller than our original template so i adjusted it.

You know this is a paper texture just because you recognize it or was there some reverse engineering going on?

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
k good i was going to mention that. Under VIEW click SNAP. That way when you readjust images they will snap to the document boundaries.

It saves some time.

Also at this point it would be good to hit Save since we've actually put something on the canvas.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
k good i was going to mention that. Under VIEW click SNAP. That way when you readjust images they will snap to the document boundaries.

It saves some time.

Also at this point it would be good to hit Save since we've actually put something on the canvas.
The snap option is already checked, do I need to go to view, snap then select a specific one?

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
k cool if its on by default then that fine.

Under VIEW and SNAP TO make sure there is a check mark next to DOCUMENT BOUNDS

because you can choose what type of things the snap works with.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Make sure you have put Masatos Nick Diaz poster in your tutorial folder as well. Then drag and drop his poster as the top layer. We can use his poster's measurements for guides. Let me know when you've done that.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Make sure you have put Masatos Nick Diaz poster in your tutorial folder as well. Then drag and drop his poster as the top layer. We can use his poster's measurements for guides. Let me know when you've done that.
Like so?

I tried to click on the eye so its not visible but nothing changed.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
k now press CTRL+R or go to VIEW -> RULER to activate the ruler

the ruler will then show up at the top and sides.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
alright looking good.

So now you have to uncheck the SNAP to document bounds.

So go to VIEW -> SNAP TO and uncheck the document bounds which was on by default for you.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
also go to the Masato poster layer and click the LOCK icon in the layers. Its the picture of the little lock. That way that layer cannot be edited and you wont accidentally screw anything up on that.

When the layer is locked, there will be a little lock icon next to the layer.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
also go to the Masato poster layer and click the LOCK icon in the layers. Its the picture of the little lock. That way that layer cannot be edited and you wont accidentally screw anything up on that.

When the layer is locked, there will be a little lock icon next to the layer.
Locked and out of sight for now.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
k cool make sure to hit Save when you feel you dont want to lose any new information in the steps.

So the next step can be done a few ways, have you used guides before?

because if not we can go that route.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
k cool make sure to hit Save when you feel you dont want to lose any new information in the steps.

Not sure what that means but I'm in.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Lets do the way that'll be better for me to learn in the long run

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
k guides are lines you get from the ruler. Its kind of like Chalk lines that carpenters use.

Its a temporary line that is made that you can turn on or off so you can create things and line up.

So go to the Ruler on your left, and click and hold in it and then drag to the right. A line will appear.

You can see this dude do it here at 1 min 16 seconds:

View: https://youtu.be/-ZRfaRDXRIk?t=1m16s

he will drag a line over from the ruler. let me know if you can get a line out. Just bring it out wherever first so i know.

Once you know how to do it then ill tell you where to drag it.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
k guides are lines you get from the ruler. Its kind of like Chalk lines that carpenters use.

Its a temporary line that is made that you can turn on or off so you can create things and line up.

So go to the Ruler on your left, and click and hold in it and then drag to the right. A line will appear.

You can see this dude do it here at 1 min 16 seconds:

View: https://youtu.be/-ZRfaRDXRIk?t=1m16s

he will drag a line over from the ruler. let me know if you can get a line out. Just bring it out wherever first so i know.

Once you know how to do it then ill tell you where to drag it.
???