General Remembering radio station 105.5 KNAC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
In fact, it was because of metal’s growing popularity that KNAC’s Pure Rock format came to be in the first place. As all things have an ending, they also have a beginning, and Pure Rock’s roots can be traced back to 4 consecutive sold-out Iron Maiden shows at the Long Beach Arena. It was clear to the mainstream world that metal was more than just an underground fad that something big was happening far beyond their control. Nothing could stop the juggernaut that metal had become.

Before that, KNAC existed on the radio dial as far back as the early '70s, as a free-form radio station, and then in the early '80s as the new-wave/alternative station Rock & Rhythm. But then in early January of 1986, the changing of the guard was heralded by the bagpipes of AC/DC’s “It’s a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock and Roll)” and the era of Pure Rock officially began its 9-year tenure.

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
From the beginning, KNAC defied the odds.Even when metal music was experiencing mainstream popularity, there's no denying that metal has never been greatly respected by the majority. Outsiders deemed metalheads as slow-witted slackers who shook out their brains from all the headbanging they did. KNAC was proving otherwise with their talk-show program Talk Back, which aired on Sunday mornings and delved into the controversial topics of the day, from politics to the Gulf War to censorship especially in the wake of the Judas Priest trial and accusations of Ozzy Osbourne corrupting the youth. Bands and fans alike would articulate their viewpoints on these subjects and open up discussion about many different hot-button issues of the day; showing that for all their wild onstage personas, most of these metal musicians were quite intelligent and aware of what went on in the world, and that their audience was not only just as savvy about these matters, but had their own strong opinions about them.

After all, metal has never been about following the leader or going along with the current and as public opinion began to take an unfavorable opinion towards metal music, KNAC and its fans flashed their metal horns with even greater flair, and wore their metal badges with pride. It really is a testament to KNAC’s bond with its fans that it wasn’t pulled off the air during those times of scare tactics against the music they loved. Metal fans really can be likened to an army when they are roused, and KNAC’s troops were at the front lines, ready to go to battle against anyone who would compromise their freedom to rock.

And fans rocked anywhere: from the golden shores of the Southern California coast, to the stifling heat of the Valley, KNAC became part of the local consciousness. As Bradley Hindman put it more succinctly: "I never turned the receiver off in my apartment. It was always set to KNAC." For the next 9 years, it was a never-ending ride of decadent good times; as Eric Kuder put it: "It was the best nine years of metal, sex and parties!"

Last edited:

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
She passed away from Hepatitis.Her name is Tawn Mastrey the Leather Nun..I'll be back with pictures of her.

Last edited:

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
Before becoming a professional wrestler,Fozzy frontman Chris Jericho reppin a KNAC t-shirt.

1654556666001.png

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
A couple of KNAC nick knacks that I owned.You got them off of the KNAC Pure Rock Patrol van which I will post after this.

1654562681880.png

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
You could always find the KNAC Pure Rock Patrol van at Tower Records when tickets went on sale for concerts,but the van always showed up at the hard rock concerts all over Orange & LA county.

1654562979429.png

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
The band Helix stopped by for a picture with the van.There were a total of 4 of them.

1654563095717.png

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
Before I go on,I'm gonna post two pictures of me and my co-workers at concerts.I was addicted to this station as you will soon find out.I don't have a single tattoo on my body,but I seriously thought about getting a KNAC tattoo.

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
This is my co-worker Vince & I in the parking lot for the Rush concert.In the background,you will see a custom KNAC banner that I personally made out of a bed sheet.You can tell that it is not professionally made,because the letter "C" is too close to number "1".Concert goer's were coming up to us and asking for KNAC bumper stickers.That is KNAC DJ Nasty Neil that is next to me on the right.He came up and complimented us on the banner.

1654563794188.png

I am leaning down on purpose so that we are the same height ^^^

Last edited:

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
The banner was fucking sweet.The reason it looks a little off is because it is not pulled tight ^^^

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
Alright fellas.This picture here is when we were at the Metallica & Guns n Roses concert at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena..Once again,I swear to you.I made those KNAC letters out of 3/8 plywood & then pained them black.Notice that I am wearing the pink & black Oakley Blades sunglasses & the black wristband again.MMAHAWK & Sparkuri will tell you that I wear black wristbands.

1654564187371.png

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
Speaking of Guns n Roses...here is Slash wearing a KNAC t-shirt.

1654564423922.png

Last edited: