General Sandy Hook families settle with Remington marking 1st time gun maker is held liable for mass shooting

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Remington Arms agreed Tuesday to settle liability claims from the families of five adults and four children killed in the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School, according to a new court filing, marking the first time a gun manufacturer has been held liable for a mass shooting in the U.S.

Remington agreed to pay the families $73 million.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Remington Arms agreed Tuesday to settle liability claims from the families of five adults and four children killed in the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School, according to a new court filing, marking the first time a gun manufacturer has been held liable for a mass shooting in the U.S.

Remington agreed to pay the families $73 million.

that's not how liability works.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Agree.
That kid should have been in a mental ward. Mother arrested for not locking the guns in a safe.
Responsible gun owner she was not
Guns in a safe separate from ammo, this is the way.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
settlement isn't a finding of liability.

that's how courts work.
Walk me through this.

according to a new court filing, marking the first time a gun manufacturer has been held liable

T

The Big Guy

Guns in a safe separate from ammo, this is the way.
Sounds like you agree it's the mother that's responsible not the gun manufacturer

Should the victims of the Christmas parade massacre sue Ford because a man driving a Ford escape plowed through a crowd?

1644949285830.png

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Sounds like you agree it's the mother that's responsible not the gun manufacturer

Should the victims of the Christmas parade massacre sue Ford because a man driving a Ford escape plowed through a crowd?

View attachment 60817
The main point of distinction at play here is that many handguns are made for committing violence against others. Hypothetical what if scenarios notwithstanding

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

View attachment 60817
I see you’re trying to draw me into some Murica gun debate, ain’t happening bud. I agree that Fire arms need to be stored in a locker separate from ammo. That was my comment.

I don’t see how your question is the same though. I don’t know how Remington marketed their guns so can’t offer an opinion on whether it was targeted at youth. I think a better comparison that I can relate to is the tobacco companies and their marketing to young people. I can’t even see smokes in any store let alone any sort of advertising or big sponsorships at races and other sporting events. I guess if Ford had commercials of people using their car to run others down then sure, hold their feet to the fire.

T

The Big Guy

I see you’re trying to draw me into some Murica gun debate, ain’t happening bud. I agree that Fire arms need to be stored in a locker separate from ammo. That was my comment.

I don’t see how your question is the same though. I don’t know how Remington marketed their guns so can’t offer an opinion on whether it was targeted at youth. I think a better comparison that I can relate to is the tobacco companies and their marketing to young people. I can’t even see smokes in any store let alone any sort of advertising or big sponsorships at races and other sporting events. I guess if Ford had commercials of people using their car to run others down then sure, hold their feet to the fire.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
The main point of distinction at play here is that many handguns are made for committing violence against others. Hypothetical what if scenarios notwithstanding
The families sued Remington because they said the Bushmaster AR-15 was made to look like a militaristic weapon and was marketed as such.

If it had a wood stock like typical hunting rifles, apparently this shooting wouldn't have happened.

$73 million is the amount Remington was covered for. My guess is they just wanted it over with. Whether or not this opens up future litigation against gun manufacturers will be interesting.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
The families sued Remington because they said the Bushmaster AR-15 was made to look like a militaristic weapon and was marketed as such.

If it had a wood stock like typical hunting rifles, apparently this shooting wouldn't have happened.
I don't think that's an accurate representation of anyone's contention.
I can see why they're so pissed if their children were slaughtered by weapons marketed to civilians as being equivalent to military grade.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Walk me through this.

according to a new court filing, marking the first time a gun manufacturer has been held liable
it's called "click-bait" , "pushing a narrative", or "propaganda".

show me the in the settlement where Remington acknowledged liability.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

you should store your car separately from the gasoline.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
You know the answer and TBH I don’t feel like following your bread trail type of posting on this topic, no offence.
It's an honest question. There's nothing wrong with locking ammo and guns together in the same safe