General Sandy Hook families settle with Remington marking 1st time gun maker is held liable for mass shooting

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
it's called "click-bait" , "pushing a narrative", or "propaganda".

show me the in the settlement where Remington acknowledged liability.
Ok I see I’ve already upset TMMACs gun lovers so let me clear something up.

Posting a story isn’t me saying “I fully agree with the outcome of what the headline is suggesting”

You’re the American who is probably more invested in this particular story than I am. I’ve seen you post and defend photos of your kids rifle laying around your house. We have different takes on responsible gun ownership and I’m ok with that. I’m more interested on how this could effect future incidents like Sandy Hooks than anything else at this time. Take your confrontational assumptions to another member please.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

Posting a story isn’t me saying “I fully agree with the outcome of what the headline is suggesting”

You’re the American who is probably more invested in this particular story than I am. I’ve seen you post and defend photos of your kids rifle laying around your house. We have different takes on responsible gun ownership and I’m ok with that. I’m more interested on how this could effect future incidents like Sandy Hooks than anything else at this time. Take your confrontational assumptions to another member please.
"gun lover..."laying around". LoL

the ammo is locked up in the garage, doesn't that make it not-a-gun?

I'm just pointing out that Remington wasn't found liable, no matter how much some folks would like to believe that Remington is liable.

if you want to discuss why Remington is/isn't liable, we can have that discussion.
But this is a settlement driven by financial considerations, not an acknowledgement of wrong-doing.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Fuck off with this shit already.
easy, sassy-pants.

how would storing the guns and ammo separately have stopped Sandy Hook from happening?

kid is willing to break in to the gun cabinet, but not the ammo cabinet?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
" The rifle Lanza used was Remington’s version of the AR-15 assault rifle, which is substantially similar to the standard issue M16 military service rifle used by the U.S. Army and other nations’ armed forces, but fires only in semiautomatic mode."
this is how you know the author is a propagandist.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
if you want to discuss why Remington is/isn't liable, we can have that discussion.
But this is a settlement driven by financial considerations, not an acknowledgement of wrong-doing.
I specifically quoted you asking to walk me through that but you decided to put words in my mouth and make a comparison to fuel storage.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I specifically quoted you asking to walk me through that but you decided to put words in my mouth and make a comparison to fuel storage.
no, i pointed out that the only source for your statement of Remington being "held liable" is the headline, and as a point of fact no party is held to anything in a settlement - that's why it's called a settlement and not a judgement.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017

i prefer to stand against you, but in this topic...

FINGERS

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
no, i pointed out that the only source for your statement of Remington being "held liable" is the headline, and as a point of fact no party is held to anything in a settlement - that's why it's called a settlement and not a judgement.

So you're saying Prince Andrew is innocent then?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It's an honest question. There's nothing wrong with locking ammo and guns together in the same safe
only because you got me a sweet mug and knife.

I’m assuming how we read the following is
why we aren’t seeing eye to eye here. I have a feeling we’re essentially agreeing but I could be wrong.

FE4466DE-E163-460D-B910-2EB9C1BA3BAB.png

I can double check but iirc restricred fire arms are the same.

M

member 1013

why we aren’t seeing eye to eye here. I have a feeling we’re essentially agreeing but I could be wrong.

View attachment 60826

How do you store the knife? Can I see it? I have a six inch Bowie style knife in almost every room of my house because when I was on cocaine I thought it was a good idea. Now I got all these knives and nothing to cut. :(

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
How do you store the knife? Can I see it? I have a six inch Bowie style knife in almost every room of my house because when I was on cocaine I thought it was a good idea. Now I got all these knives and nothing to cut. :(
Try a mannequin.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

View attachment 60826

Yeah, bruv. In the highlighted section it says it can be "stored together with". As long as she's all locked up you're good to go.

Poiupoiu

Long and Thick Member
Oct 26, 2015
Agree.
That kid should have been in a mental ward. Mother arrested for not locking the guns in a safe.
Responsible gun owner she was not
he wasnt a kid, he was 20. he had a gun safe in his room

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
In the early 2000s, the National Rifle Association and other gun-rights groups pushed states and the federal government to enact laws to protect gun manufacturers from financial responsibility for deaths that result from the use of their products. Their crowning achievement was the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, passed by Congress and signed by President George W Bush in 2005.
That law has shielded many gun manufacturers from legal exposure, but it was not enough to protect Remington and its Bushmaster AR-15, used by Adam Lanza to kill 20 children and six school employees in Newtown, Connecticut.

1) What prompted the need for the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act ?

2) What made this case so different in protecting the manufacturers?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
In the early 2000s, the National Rifle Association and other gun-rights groups pushed states and the federal government to enact laws to protect gun manufacturers from financial responsibility for deaths that result from the use of their products. Their crowning achievement was the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, passed by Congress and signed by President George W Bush in 2005.
That law has shielded many gun manufacturers from legal exposure, but it was not enough to protect Remington and its Bushmaster AR-15, used by Adam Lanza to kill 20 children and six school employees in Newtown, Connecticut.

1) What prompted the need for the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act ?

2) What made this case so different in protecting the manufacturers?
1) frivolous lawsuits designed to bankrupt manufacturers.

2) Remington filed for bankruptcy in 2020, settling resolved an open dispute that affected their financial reorg

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I don't think that's an accurate representation of anyone's contention.
I can see why they're so pissed if their children were slaughtered by weapons marketed to civilians as being equivalent to military grade.
I don't want to make light of children being slaughtered as it was a horrible incident, but that is exactly what they are saying. Remington is responsible because of the way the rifle looks. It's still 1 pull/1 bullet just like any other semi-auto rifle on the market. They were sued for marketing and optics.

And if Filthy @Filthy is correct, Remington was tying up financial loose ends (Chapter 11) and couldn't have an active lawsuit that was still pending.

Last edited:

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Why white knight for large corporations?
Especially ones that make money off death, misery, paranoia and social division? The worse off America is, the better for him manufacturers. Every time there's another horrific massacre, their sales go up.

??