General Senate Judiciary Committee Report on Jan 6th

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Good in this case because this isn't acceptable from any leader.
Should it be? No, of course not. But it definitely is. As you pointed out, it gets voted for.

If her party doesn't hold her accountable, they've become unrecognizable and are reduced to being shit stirring trolls.
Welcome to politics in 2021. Between the bucket of morons in the GOP (Boebert, MGT, etc) and the "squad" I don't which group of them is more stupid and divisive, but they're unquestionably cut from the same cloth.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Should it be? No, of course not. But it definitely is. As you pointed out, it gets voted for.

Welcome to politics in 2021. Between the bucket of morons in the GOP (Boebert, MGT, etc) and the "squad" I don't which group of them is more stupid and divisive, but they're unquestionably cut from the same cloth.
Fair enough.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I don't know which group of them is more stupid and divisive
It's a good thing you included "and divisive" because even though I disagree with most of what comes from "the squad" they are so much more intelligent than the GOP assholes that it's ridiculous.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
It's a good thing you included "and divisive" because even though I disagree with most of what comes from "the squad" they are so much more intelligent than the GOP assholes that it's ridiculous.
They're just stupid about different things. The Squad's policy proposals are laughably stupid. The ones that seem reasonable (universal healthcare) they don't actually believe in.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
They're just stupid about different things. The Squad's policy proposals are laughably stupid. The ones that seem reasonable (universal healthcare) they don't actually believe in.
Shill, shill, shill.

At least they HAVE policy proposals. What are the policy platforms of the GOP, as laid out in their last convention?

Literally don't have one at all - except to defend Trump.

Dems had a 91 page policy platform at their last convention.

Republican Party? Here's theirs in its entirety, as released at their last national convention. Full and complete:

RESOLVED, That the Republican Party has and will continue to enthusiastically support the President’s America-first agenda.”

That's it.

What's the "America-first agenda", exactly?

Aside from lies, tribalism, attacks on American democracy, never-ending giveaways to billionaires, and racial grievance?

Can you articulate what they are FOR? You may disagree with Omar's policy ideas, but at least she fucking HAS policy ideas. These utter cunts you shill for and make excuses for? They don't. They're not interested in governing. That lying little skidmark Madison Cawthorn told you flat out - you're just too busy making excuses to hear it.

"I have built my staff around comms rather than legislation," he emailed Republican colleagues. What's the GOP's platform on infrastructure? Education? The broken prison system? Climate change? Income and wealth inequality, which is now at Great Depression levels? Oops, you can't respond with anything, because there IS nothing.

??

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019

I really can't square how you can compare that they are 'cut from the same cloth'

I find that bizarre.

Name me one thing compares mgt saying sandy hook was a conspiracy to anything aoc or ilhan has said.

How can you get there?

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
I really can't square how you can compare that they are 'cut from the same cloth'

I find that bizarre.

Name me one thing compares mgt saying sandy hook was a conspiracy to anything aoc or ilhan has said.

How can you get there?
I honestly tried to think of something outrageous coming from the left and all I could remember was Kathy Griffin and the Trump head photo. Her career since has been pretty low key.
Nobody in a leadership position that I can recall saying such inflammatory things.

Probably they exist though

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015

I find that bizarre.

How can you get there?
AOC claimed the Green New Deal would cost $0 to Americans. It is incomprehensibly stupid to say that spending trillions of dollars will not have a price tag. Like MGT, she's an idiot.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
AOC claimed the Green New Deal would cost $0 to Americans. It is incomprehensibly stupid to say that spending trillions of dollars will not have a price tag. Like MGT, she's an idiot.
there is a serious misunderstanding that conflating investment in green energy will create jobs to saying the Sandy hook massacre was a false flag.

how can you possibly compare the same things?

you are being stupid. Probably on purpose.

idiot

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I honestly tried to think of something outrageous coming from the left and all I could remember was Kathy Griffin and the Trump head photo. Her career since has been pretty low key.
Nobody in a leadership position that I can recall saying such inflammatory things.

Probably they exist though
I was referring to stupidity rather than just "outrageousness" (is that even a word?)

In terms of leadership being inflammatory I don't think anyone thought it was kosher for Joe Biden to say that he was angry and disappointed after the Rittenhouse verdict. That's certainly pouring some gas on the fire.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
I was referring to stupidity rather than just "outrageousness" (is that even a word?)

In terms of leadership being inflammatory I don't think anyone thought it was kosher for Joe Biden to say that he was angry and disappointed after the Rittenhouse verdict. That's certainly pouring some gas on the fire.
yeah.

frame it as you want. Think what you said.

makes you look dumb.

you said mgt was the same as aoc.

nope.

you saying that make you a fool.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
there is a serious misunderstanding that conflating investment in green energy will create jobs to saying the Sandy hook massacre was a false flag.

how can you possibly compare the same things?
AOC wasn't talking about creating jobs. I'm not referring to how many people's feelings were hurt. Both statements are completely baseless and only said out of ignorance.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021

I find that bizarre.

How can you get there?
He doesn't actually know much of anything. He's not that interested, he goes primarily by the memes.

That's why he never, ever references historical events or specific legislation or anything like that. Nothing other than surface-level "this is what I want to feel". Because he doesn't know. He won't answer your question - he'll instantly pivot to some bullshit talking point.

The two sides are absolutely, definitively, objectively not cut from the same cloth. They are not two flavours of the same type of evil. They just aren't, and it can't be honestly argued that they are. The GOP and the MAGA movement in 2021 is a real, clear and present threat to American democracy itself, which hasn't been the case pre-Trump and which the Democrats as a party absolutely are not. Which is why not a single one of the "both sides" crowd can actually honestly address what the hell the GOP is doing, for real.

??

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
The reality of Trump is that he's a pro-wrestling gimmick and people, on either side of the aisle, who take him seriously are dupes that are fueling the nonsense. He's not Hitler, and he's not Jesus. He's just a guy playing the 80's Hulk Hogan gimmick. He's "taking on" the Million Dollar Man (The "Elites") and Nikolai Volkoff and the Iron Sheik (those damn foreigners). The viking raider on January 6th should have been when the people who bought into either extreme narrative went "Wait, a minute. This guy is lying to all of us." Instead, the corporate media sold the "mostly peaceful protest" as something much more than it ever was, and both sides of morons got further entrenched.

Another more recent wake up moment should have been when the head of house intelligence said that he was lying about the Steele Dossier, and he's not sorry for lying about it, but that seems to be ignored because it's only a problem when the people I don't like do it.
So, serious question.
Was there any time in the last 30, maybe 40 years in the US where being an extremist - no matter which one - was as normal and something to be proud of as it is now? Not saying it started with Trump necessarily, but it sure didn't help.
Is this a good basis for any society and its future?

And from my outside perspective, the America first agenda and its rhetoric is quite fundamentalist and even somewhat tied to religion. Fundamentalism can easily be misguided. We know that from history.
It's not a far jump to see it as potentially quite dangerous, seeing as how much power the US possess. Trump set the groundwork for that, it just is what it is.
Nothing from the left political side there sounds similar to that so far.

Certainly tho, imo Trump and his GOP cronies threw back international relations by a good twenty years if not more. Turned on and tried to weaken its allies, disregarded contracts setting a very bad example etc. This is not a positive thing.
Biden undid some of that for now, but nobody can count on the US anymore really.
Hence we have to work with Russia and China more than we want to. At least they are stable bad forces, as sad as that sounds.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Was there any time in the last 30, maybe 40 years in the US where being an extremist - no matter which one - was as normal and something to be proud of as it is now?
Short answer, yes. Looking back through American history of the last 100 years the 80's-90's were a remarkably peaceful aberration. 20 years ago the entire society became so extreme that even questioning the government got you ostracized for hating freedom, even if you were right. The only difference now is that the extremists have fractured into different groups. Ironically, they both love the government, they just disagree on who should be micromanaging them.

Not saying it started with Trump necessarily, but it sure didn't help.
Is this a good basis for any society and its future?
Trump is a symptom, not a cause.

And from my outside perspective, the America first agenda and its rhetoric is quite fundamentalist and even somewhat tied to religion. Fundamentalism can easily be misguided. We know that from history.
It's not a far jump to see it as potentially quite dangerous, seeing as how much power the US possess. Trump set the groundwork for that, it just is what it is.
Nothing from the left political side there sounds similar to that so far.
It's mostly just that you're not looking for it. I'm not trying to be flippant, but look at all the things you're tying into your opinion of Trump. You've basically have everything deemed by progressive society to not be tolerant together and look at it as a monolith of bad things. Last year, the left took over 6 blocks of a major American city. The progressive government in charge of that city just shrugged their shoulders and did nothing. The left lit a courthouse on fire last year. These were events that happened with left leaning media and government officials either tacitly or actively supporting the behavior.

Certainly tho, imo Trump and his GOP cronies threw back international relations by a good twenty years if not more. Turned on and tried to weaken its allies, disregarded contracts setting a very bad example etc. This is not a positive thing.
After what the EU did to Canada this year during covid it's kind of hard for me to take this claim seriously. Canada procured EU produced vaccines. The EU stepped in, introduced legislation and took the vaccines for themselves because they bungled their own procurement. The EU's actions quite literally were illegal and lead to the deaths of Canadians. It was one of the most morally reprehensible things a government has done to another developed nation in my lifetime. Of course, just watching corporate media you'd be under the impression that this is much less serious than tweeting mean things.

Biden undid some of that for now, but nobody can count on the US anymore really.
The U.S. were the ones that gave us vaccines after the EU left us for dead, but I do understand that your environment is going to inform your opinion on international relations.

Hence we have to work with Russia and China more than we want to. At least they are stable bad forces, as sad as that sounds.
"Have to" is a long stretch. Choose to, would be much more accurate. They're less expensive to deal with for the most part.