General Shooting at gay club in Colorado Springs, CO...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
My first thought was "A gay night club seems like a weird place for a family outing"
The daughter has a friend that was performing in the show. They went there to support that friend.

Also, the article hits on that point. The father basically has an "as long as they aren't hurting anyone, then live and let live" attitude.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Criminal background checks are federal.
It isn't clear to me that they check for that. There isn't anything on the 4473 form that specifically asks about an ERPO. There are questions about felonies and misdemeanors of domestic violence as well as mental illness history which may imply they'll look into it, but I've never heard of someone being denied due to a previous ERPO.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
It isn't clear to me that they check for that. There isn't anything on the 4473 form that specifically asks about an ERPO. There are questions about felonies and misdemeanors of domestic violence as well as mental illness history which may imply they'll look into it, but I've never heard of someone being denied due to a previous ERPO.
Threatening to kill your mother isn't domestic violence?

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Threatening to kill your mother isn't domestic violence?
Not if you aren't convicted of it.

You could also argue that it just isn't. Violence and a threat of violence are different things. In his case, he didn't even have the means to follow through with his threat since he said he was going to bomb her when he didn't have bombs, so it can be considered an empty threat possibly said in the heat of the moment that shook the mother up enough to call the cops. She didn't follow up with a protective order either.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
So he was either never charged or his records were closed. In addition to that, his mother never requested a protective order which means the feds would never have known of the 2021 incident.

Also, it is unclear whether or not he already owned those guns or if he bought them later. If he didn't have them, a red flag would not apply. If he had them and he wasn't convicted of a felony and there was no red flag, he would have had them all along and continue to pass background checks.

My guess is he had them. He had body armour as seen in the video. There aren't many people that buy that unless they already own guns.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Those are too dangerous. We should have to get ATF approval to even be considered for those.
Lol I was just making a "long gun" joke that somehow all the liberals out there would fall for an SBR rifle being safer. I bet politicians in CA would make folks fall for that "short gun being safer" the KSG-12 from John wick is legal here out the store in CA and it is a short shot gun the ridiculous loophole is because it is pump action which is very legal in CA and not semi automatic even tho there isnt much of a difference in lethality if we had semi auto shotguns here that weren't neutered to be complaint.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Lol I was just making a "long gun" joke that somehow all the liberals out there would fall for an SBR rifle being safer. I bet politicians in CA would make folks fall for that "short gun being safer" the KSG-12 from John wick is legal here out the store in CA and it is a short shot gun the ridiculous loophole is because it is pump action which is very legal in CA and not semi automatic even tho there isnt much of a difference in lethality if we had semi auto shotguns here that weren't neutered to be complaint.
They're closer to those much safer handguns.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Not if you aren't convicted of it.

You could also argue that it just isn't. Violence and a threat of violence are different things. In his case, he didn't even have the means to follow through with his threat since he said he was going to bomb her when he didn't have bombs, so it can be considered an empty threat possibly said in the heat of the moment that shook the mother up enough to call the cops. She didn't follow up with a protective order either.
Background checks don't only show things you've been convicted of. I say that from a place of experience.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Apparently, the mother was a mile away from the suspect when he threatened to go there and blow her up.

Also, she is Laura Lea Voepel and has her own criminal history which includes a charge for false reporting. Also, she has three warrants between California and Texas.