Sous vide experiment

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Thanks
Yeah I guess it'd really suck to keep watching the crockpot's temperature.
How do you do it with your crockpot then?
I use a thermostat. Temperature lead goes in the water, crockpot plugs into the thermostat, thermostat plugs into the wall. When desired temp is exceeded, thermostat automatically cuts power. Switches it back on again when temp drops.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
I use a thermostat. Temperature lead goes in the water, crockpot plugs into the thermostat, thermostat plugs into the wall. When desired temp is exceeded, thermostat automatically cuts power. Switches it back on again when temp drops.
What brand is that?
I'll look it up.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
The spam pic reminds - if I buy a vacuum packed steak, like most are, I just dump it in without rebagging.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
The spam pic reminds - if I buy a vacuum packed steak, like most are, I just dump it in without rebagging.
I was actually wondering about that as sometimes I'll buy it that way. It definitely isn't common around these parts though. Is UK beef mainly shipped in?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I was actually wondering about that as sometimes I'll buy it that way. It definitely isn't common around these parts though. Is UK beef mainly shipped in?
This is the one I'll commonly buy. It's farmed in the UK. I take off the paper and dump the whole package in the crockpot. I can fit 2 in at a squeeze.

Sometimes I buy direct from the butcher, in which case it comes in a plastic bag.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
This is the one I'll commonly buy. It's farmed in the UK. I take off the paper and dump the whole package in the crockpot. I can fit 2 in at a squeeze.

Sometimes I buy direct from the butcher, in which case it comes in a plastic bag.
On a not meat, but sous vide related note. Have you been happy with the performance of your thermostat?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Has anyone tried any other meats this way? Like chicken or fish?
Yes. Chicken breast came out great but still needs a sear. Pork can be good but I tried a long, slow roasting joint and it just dried out. I would suggest adding BBQ sauce for that.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Yes. Chicken breast came out great but still needs a sear. Pork can be good but I tried a long, slow roasting joint and it just dried out. I would suggest adding BBQ sauce for that.
Chicken was actually what I was most curious about. I've actually had fish at a really nice restaurant that was prepared sous vide but it gave it a really weird texture that was unpleasant even though aesthetically it was cooked perfectly.
But with chicken being a protein that needs to be cooked thoroughly for safety purposes it seems like this could be a great way to prepare it. Cook all the way through and then grill/sear to add flavor and smoke at the last minute. Could be a game changer with my chicken wings.