Stephen Thompson ‘happy’ with new UFC deal, ‘upset’ by interim title shun

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Stephen Thompson signed a new deal with the UFC ahead of his main event meeting with Darren Till at UFC Liverpool. But although “Wonderboy” is content with his new contract, he isn’t overjoyed about not being given a crack at the interim welterweight title, which will be on the line when Rafael dos Anjos faces Colby Covington on June 9 at UFC 225.

Thompson admitted that the UFC’s attempts to match him with Till helped him in his negotiations before he put pen to paper.

“We had some negotiations back and forth with UFC and I am happy with what’s going on in my new contract. It’s definitely an incentive to go out there and do it,” Thompson told Ariel Helwani on a recent episode of The MMA Hour.

“Of course, I’m not in the game for the money, but if the UFC are pushing something you really don’t want or that doesn’t make sense, you can kind of play the game with them a little bit. We did that and we kind of got what we wanted, so we’re gonna go out there and have some fun with smiles on our faces.”

Stephen Thompson ‘happy’ with new UFC deal, ‘upset’ by interim title snub

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
He always puts the pressure on but has come short in the other title fights. Hard to argue he doesn't deserve it other than having 2 shots already. He and Maia have been close too many times. Would have loved either of them to wear the strap.

jason73

Auslander Raus
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
he is in that weird rory mcdonald spot where he can beat almost everyone in the division but already lost to the champ .he either needs to string together a long list of wins against top competition or there needs to be a new champ before he gets another title shot.

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
The thing about WB is, while hes one of the best guys in the world, as long as Woodley is champion, I think alot of people never want to see him fight for the title. Its like Fitch territory, no one else can beat you, but you already had your crack. There shouldnt have even been a rematch, and that fight was so bad, I know ill never pay to see him fight Ty again.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Wonderboy should call Whittaker out if Whittaker beats Romero. It's not like size will be an issue.

The UFC might be dumb enough to go for it as there isn't really anyone knocking the doors down for a shot at 185 anyway.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Wonderboy should call Whittaker out if Whittaker beats Romero. It's not like size will be an issue.

The UFC might be dumb enough to go for it as there isn't really anyone knocking the doors down for a shot at 185 anyway.
Sheesh I think whittaker has some fair poundage on him

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Mate Conor fought a guy 3 times his size on short notice. Cool it.

View: https://twitter.com/gregfuckingrip/status/824654927955947524

My bad. I should do my research. Although he looks small there, thoughts his shoulders and arms had more beef.
My post probably came off more cuntish than intended. Wonderboy is a big WW and Whittaker is not a big MW. You're not wrong about Wonderboy being a bit skinny and maybe size would be a problem against say Chris Weidman.

But he would fill out at 185 himself and wouldn't have any obvious size disadvantage vs a guy he already KOd.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
My post probably came off more cuntish than intended. Wonderboy is a big WW and Whittaker is not a big MW. You're not wrong about Wonderboy being a bit skinny and maybe size would be a problem against say Chris Weidman.

But he would fill out at 185 himself and wouldn't have any obvious size disadvantage vs a guy he already KOd.
I would watch.

However I would prefer to see Robby against MW's at the mo. There are a few great matchups for him that intrigue me more than Wonderboy

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
I would watch.

However I would prefer to see Robby against MW's at the mo. There are a few great matchups for him that intrigue me more than Wonderboy
I was only suggesting what Wonderboy should do in terms of promoting himself and getting a shot at either 170 or 185. But now that I think about it, I probably would prefer to see that fight over a Jacare rematch or Chris Weidman.

It will depend how the Romero rematch goes obviously. If Whittaker sparks out Romero, I'm really not sure how much interest there is in a Jacare or Weidman fight - Robbie would go in a massive favorites against those guys as it wouldn't be clear what threat they pose that Romero didn't pose more of.

In terms of stylistic fights, I would rather see Robbie vs a fellow former 170er with good striking - either Wonderboy or Kelvin.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
I was only suggesting what Wonderboy should do in terms of promoting himself and getting a shot at either 170 or 185. But now that I think about it, I probably would prefer to see that fight over a Jacare rematch or Chris Weidman.

It will depend how the Romero rematch goes obviously. If Whittaker sparks out Romero, I'm really not sure how much interest there is in a Jacare or Weidman fight - Robbie would go in a massive favorites against those guys as it wouldn't be clear what threat they pose that Romero didn't pose more of.

In terms of stylistic fights, I would rather see Robbie vs a fellow former 170er with good striking - either Wonderboy or Kelvin.
Jacare in terms of subs but you are on the right lines IMO.

Just defending is a start. People seem to struggle to turn up in the cage more than once a year at this point. Fight anyone, but make sure we keep it moving along

Nov 21, 2015
Remind me again why Woodley isnt defending?
Thats what is so silly about this interim Title. Its complete garbage.
There are many things to dislike about T Wood but being unwilling to
defend his belt is simply not one of them.

He's defended that belt against everyone they asked him to so far

He currently has a shoulder injury and has said he'll be ready to go
in a couple months

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
defend is his belt is simply not one of them.

He's defended that belt its everyone they asked him to so far

he currently has a shoulder injury and has said he'll be ready to go
in a couple months
See, I keep up with news and I didnt even know that. I thought he was just being a whiner about wanting "money" fights.

Nov 21, 2015
See, I keep up with news and I didnt even know that. I thought he was just being a whiner about wanting "money" fights.
Yeah he asks for money fights but whenever they send him a contract to fight the next
contender he does it. I think this Interim Title is more to do with him and Dana falling out
about the Nate Diaz situation.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
defend his belt is simply not one of them.

He's defended that belt against everyone they asked him to so far

He currently has a shoulder injury and has said he'll be ready to go
in a couple months
There are reports they wanted to make Conor vs RDA for the interim 170 belt. It's possible there could be a larger game at play here - hope RDA beats Colby, strip Woodley of the 'real' belt and then do Conor vs RDA for the 'real' belt.

Conspiracy theory? Yes. But this is WME and Dana we are talking about here.

Nov 21, 2015
There are reports they wanted to make Conor vs RDA for the interim 170 belt. It's possible there could be a larger game at play here - hope RDA beats Colby, strip Woodley of the 'real' belt and then do Conor vs RDA for the 'real' belt.

I thought Colby Vs RDA for Interim was already a done deal?

Nov 21, 2015

On Conor... I don't know. I honestly don't want him getting anymore
Title shots in other divisions until he shows he will defend in his own divisions

I'm so glad the 155 and 145 divisions are finally moving forward with some excitement
back to both of them cuz Conor held them up for so long and it got very boring

Last edited:

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
I thought Colby Vs RDA for Interim was already a done deal?
Yes but my conspiracy theory is that if RDA wins the interim belt, some shenanigans will happen whereby Woodley is stripped of the real belt and RDA is promoted to champ in time to defend it vs Conor.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016

You actually hope this happens? Are you mad?

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
You actually hope this happens? Are you mad?
Fuck no. I fear that's their plan. I hope RDA beats the shit out of Colby and then upsets Woodley to win the title outright, although I consider RDA beating Woodley very unlikely. I hope Conor either fights Khabib or at least Tony at 155 or just fucks off and retires.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #ASSBLOODS
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Didn't know about Colby vs RDA.

Lol

I'd love to see RDA beat the shit out of him and finish in the 5th.

I'd equally like to see the opposite result just because it will make the internet so angry I'd probably get pinked for poking the fire.

Good times