Society The Donald J. Trump Show - 4 more years editions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
You disputed my comment about Trump's call for a Muslim ban
I did not. You called something that isn't a Muslim ban. I don't care what you or trump may call it. The end result was not a Muslim ban. Unless you're Rachel Maddow, then you'll call it a Muslim ban.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
I did not. You called something that isn't a Muslim ban. I don't care what you or trump may call it. The end result was not a Muslim ban. Unless you're Rachel Maddow, then you'll call it a Muslim ban.
I didnt say the end result was a Muslim ban.

I said Trump promised a Mulsim ban and failed at it.

The travel ban also failed.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I didnt say the end result was a Muslim ban.

I said Trump promised a Mulsim ban and failed at it.

The travel ban also failed.
As long as we can make that distinction and not blindly taking over rethoric both politicians and media would like us to repeat. There was never a Muslim ban. We have already established in this discussion that presidents have promised a lot, and consistently have not been able to keep or carry out these promises. That point is in my view then pretty much irrelevant.

Trump doesn't keep his promises, that is fair enough. Unfortunately, that doesn't distinguish him from Obama, or any other president. And this is not an excuse for Trump, I get it.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
No marches on the US streets about that. But they do march about victicious wage gaps and pussy grabbing. No marches at all. No protests at all. These countries are not being held accountable, at all. Anti semitism is tolerated.
Wait, do you actually expect there to be actions on the same level? I don't get it.
Its a highly reaching post too.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Wait, do you actually expect there to be actions on the same level? I don't get it.
Its a highly reaching post too.
Yes, we all should be held accountable on the exact same level as people. That is true equality. You do not have to get it.

We protest for gay rights here but ignore on the other side of the world gays get thrown off roofs. Let's just focus on bathroom rights and get really angry about it. Let's protest wage gaps while wearing a shirt that is made by someone who got paid 9 dollars a month making that while vlogging it on your iPhone. We only claim that black lives matter when a white cop kills a black kid. We stay off the streets about the thousands of death claimed by gang violence. We only get mad if the other side lies. We only speak up when it makes us look good.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Yes, we all should be held accountable on the exact same level as people. That is true equality. You do not have to get it.

We protest for gay rights here but ignore on the other side of the world gays get thrown off roofs. Let's just focus on bathroom rights and get really angry about it. Let's protest wage gaps while wearing a shirt that is made by someone who got paid 9 dollars a month making that while vlogging it on your iPhone. We only claim that black lives matter when a white cop kills a black kid. We stay off the streets about the thousands of death claimed by gang violence. We only get mad if the other side lies. We only speak up when it makes us look good.
And why do you think that is?

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Offering a stunningly blunt appraisal of the North Korean leader, Jared Kushner said on Tuesday that Kim Jong-un was a “totally unqualified person” who attained his position of power only through nepotism.

“Here you have a guy who has no government experience, and he’s in charge of the whole thing,” Kushner said, in an interview with Fox News. “It’s the craziest thing I’ve ever heard of.”

Kushner noted that, instead of working his way up and acquiring the skills necessary to do his job, the North Korean leader had been given huge responsibilities and power “only because of family connections.”

“There’s only one word for that,” he said. “Nepotism.”

Kushner called the notion of such an unqualified person conducting foreign policy “beyond belief.”
Jared Kushner Calls Kim Jong-un “Totally Unqualified Person” Who Only Got Job Through Nepotism

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Lack of perspective.
Agreed, many lack this. However, are things closer to you and more directly affecting you are not more important for you?

And what is your part in all of this, are you organizing anything or going to demos?

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Agreed, many lack this. However, are things closer to you and more directly affecting you are not more important for you?

And what is your part in all of this, are you organizing anything or going to demos?
I'm not an activist, but I can't help but observe the hierarchy placed on reasons to protest about. Another puzzling element is when people choose to protest. I can't remember anyone protesting the 2.5 million deportations of the previous administration, but now it seems to have gained more importance, now that Trump basically continues the same deportation policies as the previous administrations. It's why I was always sceptic about claims made (by Trump) about the illegal immigrant crisis. As long as it fits the narrative of the outraged I would guess?

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Trump blows his deadline on anti-hacking plan
Donald Trump was very clear: “I will appoint a team to give me a plan within 90 days of taking office,” he said in January, after getting a U.S. intelligence assessment of Russian interference in last year’s elections and promising to address cybersecurity.

Thursday, Trump hits his 90-day mark. There is no team, there is no plan, and there is no clear answer from the White House on who would even be working on what.

It’s the latest deadline Trump’s set and missed — from the press conference he said his wife would hold last fall to answer questions about her original immigration process to the plan to defeat ISIS that he’d said would come within his first 30 days in office.
Trump made the deadline promise repeatedly. A week after the initial statement, he tweeted on Jan. 13, “My people will have a full report on hacking within 90 days!”

Given the issues at play, cyber security experts worry that missing this particular set deadline could have significant consequences and speaks to deeper concerns about the White House not grappling with clear threats.

“It would set an unfortunate precedent to miss the president’s first important cyber-related deadline,” said Michael Sulmeyer, director of the Harvard Belfer Center’s Cyber Security Project and former director of Cyber Policy Plans and Operations at the Defense Department.

“Ever the critic on the campaign trail, Trump and his cyber team now have the responsibility to keep the country safe from cyberattacks,” Sulmeyer said. “Given so much attention on North Korea this past week, and that North Korea conducted one of the most serious cyberattacks against the United States, we should expect the new administration to be on the case.”

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
DOW CHEMICAL DONATES $1 MILLION TO TRUMP, ASKS ADMINISTRATION TO IGNORE PESTICIDE STUDY
In this case, it’s the fact that studies by federal scientists have found that chlorpyrifos, diazinon, and malathion are harmful to almost 1,800 “critically threatened or endangered species.” Historically, groups like the Environmental Protection Agency would want to avoid killing frogs, fish, birds, mammals, and plants, which is why the regulator and two others that it works with to enforce the Endangered Species Act are reportedly “close to issuing findings expected to result in new limits on how and where the highly toxic pesticides can be used,” the AP reports.

Luckily for Dow, the E.P.A. is now run by climate-change skeptic and general enemy of living things Scott Pruitt, who last month said he would reverse “an Obama-era effort to bar the use of Dow's chlorpyrifos pesticide on food after recent peer-reviewed studies found that even tiny levels of exposure could hinder the development of children's brains.” Plus, Dow Chemical C.E.O. Andrew Liveris is good buddies with President Donald Trump. So, you can see how the company, which the AP reports also spent $13.6 million on lobbying last year, might feel like it is in the clear.

According to the AP, lawyers representing Dow and two other companies that manufacture the pesticides in question (known as organophosphates) have sent letters to the heads of the E.P.A, the Department of Commerce, and the Fish and Wildlife Service, asking them to “set aside” the results of the studies, claiming that they are “fundamentally flawed.” Not surprisingly, the scientists hired by Dow “to produce a lengthy rebuttal to the government studies” have come up with diverging results.

In addition to Pruitt’s long history of, per the AP, aligning “himself in legal disputes with the interests of executives and corporations,” Dow has another reason to be hopeful the government will conveniently ignore any lingering concerns about killing off entire species: Andrew Liveris is a close adviser to Donald Trump who was literally standing next to the president in February when he signed an executive order “mandating the creation of task forces at federal agencies to roll back government regulations.”

Dow also donated $1 million to underwrite Trump’s inaugural festivities, the AP reports, but God help the person who dares to wonder aloud if the check was some sort of an attempt to curry favor with the administration. As Rachelle Schikorra, Dow’s director of public affairs, told the AP, any such suggestion is “completely off the mark.”

Last edited: