The Great Outdoors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

Another one.
Looks pretty tasty, eh?

View attachment 49418

Full disclosure - I never eat mushrooms I find in the wild. I'm not good enough at ID'ing them and the gap from "perfecty fine" to "you're fucked" is pretty narrow.
Send photos to me. I'll be sure ro ID them for you and then tell you to eat the ones that won't kill you but will make you have explosive diarrhea.

For the lulz.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Was clearing out some brush and spotted this goofy thing.

Reminds me of a German WW1 helmet.

20211016_130351.jpg

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Kind of hard to tell in this pic, but you have to shimmy down about 10 feet to get to the floor, and then lay down and belly slide in to the cave passage. I need to start taking my phone in these again so I can get some interior shots, but I kept breaking the glass so I leave it up top most of the time now.

3D27C42B-0250-4AFD-A077-821B81F9B68E.jpeg

M

member 3289

@conor mcgregor nut hugger
Twice now I’ve caught this guy hanging out on my truck. I guess he doesn’t like my firewood rack anymore
View attachment 50432
Might be a female. If it's a male it's probably a juvenile.

Not sure if I told you about these anoles. Very closely related to our native green anoles. They have a small colony in Naples and two small colonies in Tampa. The males have blue heads and hind regions when fully grown:

Screenshot_20211024-183334_Instagram.jpg

As you can see they're quite a bit larger than green anoles found in the U.S., but they're actively interbreeding with native green anoles in the areas they've colonized.

Edit - they're called Allison's Anoles (Anolis allisoni)

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
20210610_103800.jpg
About to become prominent in the northern winter skies, Orion the Hunter.

The left most of the three belt stars is surrounded by clouds of gas and dust, and is commonly known as the Horsehead nebula.
20210422_103346.jpg

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
View attachment 50927
About to become prominent in the northern winter skies, Orion the Hunter.

The left most of the three belt stars is surrounded by clouds of gas and dust, and is commonly known as the Horsehead nebula.
View attachment 50928
Yup. I start looking for it each year around Halloween. On a very clear night you can also spot The Flying Vagina Kite. This is a cluster of stars I discovered that Orion always points toward.

I felt like an idiot when I was showing off for an intelligent and very hot female one night and I pointed her towards my discovery of the Vagina Kite. She informed me that not only had I not discovered the cluster, it already had an actual name: The Seven Sisters.

Whatever. I wasn't the one with a dick in my mouth later that night.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Yup. I start looking for it each year around Halloween. On a very clear night you can also spot The Flying Vagina Kite. This is a cluster of stars I discovered that Orion always points toward.

I felt like an idiot when I was showing off for an intelligent and very hot female one night and I pointed her towards my discovery of the Vagina Kite. She informed me that not only had I not discovered the cluster, it already had an actual name: The Seven Sisters.

Whatever. I wasn't the one with a dick in my mouth later that night.
Oh that's epic!
The Pleiades is a galactic cluster that's been known since antiquity. But from now on I'm calling them the Vagina Kite.

Fyi Subaru means seven sisters in Japanese, look at the logo.

In a telescope they're magical as is the Orion nebula.

In no instance has showing off my knowledge of the night sky paid off with a blowjob.

I wasted all that time

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Oh that's epic!
The Pleiades is a galactic cluster that's been known since antiquity. But from now on I'm calling them the Vagina Kite.

Fyi Subaru means seven sisters in Japanese, look at the logo.

In a telescope they're magical as is the Orion nebula.

In no instance has showing off my knowledge of the night sky paid off with a blowjob.

I wasted all that time
I'm still impressed that I technically did find it on my own (naked eye) and learned how to find it again by using Orion as a guide since that one is so easy to spot.

Didn't know Subaru was named after a Vagina Kite.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
I'm still impressed that I technically did find it on my own (naked eye) and learned how to find it again by using Orion as a guide since that one is so easy to spot.

Didn't know Subaru was named after a Vagina Kite.
I'm hoping I'm right: IIRC Orion was always grabbing the Pleiades by the pussy, and Zeus put them in different parts of the sky so they couldn't get that root.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Do you have the same cave animals in Texas?
Other than the alligators, yes we have a similar community of critters in our caves (in some cases there are probably invertebrates from the same genus, although different species here in Tx).

We have 3 species of bats that can commonly be found in our caves - Mexican free-tailed bat, Cave myotis (Myotis velifer), and the tri-colored bat (Perimyotis subflavus, and used to be called a "pipistrelle" before changing to "tri-colored").

Lots of spiders, and invertebrates in general. There are many that can be found in the shallower parts of the cave (or near the entrance) that are surface species that just use the caves as refugia. But then there are a whole bunch of invertebrates that have varying levels of adaptions to the cave environment (many are blind or have reduced eyes, longer appendages, lack of pigment, etc). In central Texas, there are 16 cave-adapted invertebrates on the Endangered Species list (USFWS). Mostly spiders, harvestman, and beetles. But there is actually a pretty diverse community overall - various spiders, harvestmen, beetles, millipedes, isopods, centipedes, springtails, silverfish, cockroaches, etc. And then in caves that have water passage, there are also aquatics as well such as amphipods, fish, isopods, crayfish, shrimp, etc.; many of which can also have cave adapted forms (there are additional aquatic species here that are also listed as Endangered).

And then at the numerous springs that emerge from our karst aquifer, there are a number of listed aquatic salamanders that only live in the spring runs. They are "neotenic" which means that they maintain juvenile traits, in this case their gills. They never metamorphose into the adult land-dwelling form, and stay permanently in the water for life. These are all Eurycea salamanders, and similar to the terrestrial karst invertebrates, they have both surface and subsurface species. The Eurycea that live in the spring runs have eyes, but the ones that live down in the aquifer are blind and albino (Texas Blind Salamander for example). There are a bunch of different species within Eurycea, and the taxonomy is currently changing. But either surficial or blind, these salamanders are pretty cool. The different species tend to correlate with different segments of the aquifer.

And we have snakes and vultures too. Usually rattlesnakes, and it sucks bad being in a cave with them. And vultures too - the caves they roost and lay eggs in always stink horribly, and it isn't uncommon at all to find there eggs at the right time of the year. They are bastards and make all kinds of noise.

And then there are all kinds of mammals that utilize the caves as well - racoons, skunks, mice, porcupines, etc.

M

member 3289

Saw this pic on iNaturalist and thought it was really cool. Really shows niche partitioning in different species.

Screenshot_20211029-125935_iNaturalist.jpg

On the bottom is the terrestrial Northern Curly-tailed lizard. It lacks sticky toe pads so is generally found on the ground. When trees have enough ridges for it to climb, it does, but it rarely goes above a few feet high (though it looks to be about 4-5 feet up in the photo) and will race back to the ground and into its burrow in case of danger.

In the middle is a trunk-ground lizard, the brown anole. It inhabits tree trunks and sometimes ventures onto the ground in search of prey, though it does this less often when the bottom species is present because that lizard will opportunistically prey on it.

On the top is a trunk-crown lizard and the only native species in this photo, the green anole. It inhabits the trunks up to the crown of trees and has stickier toe pads than the brown anole. This species is very arboreal and almost never found on the ground.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
There's a fucking woodpecker going to town on the metal cap on my chimney. It's loud as shit through the entire house, and he started this morning around 7 AM when I was sleeping in for the first time in 3 weeks.

I thought it was a Japanese Ki-84 making an attack run on the house - it seriously took me a minute to figure out what the fuck it was. Loud as hell.

Did some research. They do this to attract mates or to establish territory. The louder the better for them.

M

member 3289

There's a fucking woodpecker going to town on the metal cap on my chimney. It's loud as shit through the entire house, and he started this morning around 7 AM when I was sleeping in for the first time in 3 weeks.

I thought it was a Japanese Ki-84 making an attack run on the house - it seriously took me a minute to figure out what the fuck it was. Loud as hell.

Did some research. They do this to attract mates or to establish territory. The louder the better for them.
I've read that they do this on metal sheeting but didn't know why. I thought male mockingbirds singing all through the night was bad but this sounds worse.

Lol @ you not being able to sleep in. Good. Fuck you.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016